Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Tecumseh Gas Cap Design

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
newtonian

Tecumseh Gas Cap Design
Original Message   Feb 21, 2005 10:27 pm
What's the metal disk and foam thing that's on the underside of a Tecumseh gas cap designed to do?

Discovered on my first gas refill that the parts on mine fell into the gas tank.  Fished them out but don't see how they stay on the shaft -- perhaps a clip broke off I haven't retreived.

Will replace cap, but for now was just wondering what that stuff does......

2012 Ariens ST24DLE
Semi Retired Ariens 9526 in active reserve
Unknown vintage 5HP Ariens to restore

Replies: 9 - 18 of 24Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Neil

Re: Tecumseh Gas Cap Design
Reply #9   Feb 25, 2005 9:31 am
I have the 8526 LE Ariens and noticed the foam thing when I first used the blower and removed the cap.  Didnt find any metal ring or clip.  Emptied the tank and saw nothing inside.

However on the first use, it stalled twice and when I remove the cap (chekcing gas level) I saw the foam square (1/2 " sq) fell out.  Since then with the cap on and 3 more uses, with no problem.  I looked at the cap design and saw a rubber funner type that inside the cap and saw how it vents to the outside but so far no gas spilled.

Should I continue or buy a new cap?

Thanks,
Neil on Long Island
Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Reply #10   Feb 25, 2005 10:06 am
Neil wrote:

Should I continue or buy a new cap?

Hello fellow Long Islander,

Neil, I would purchase a new cap since they've been redesigned.  This way you won't have to be concerned about it coming apart and plugging up the fuel tank. 

Richie
Neil

Reply #11   Feb 25, 2005 10:38 am
Richie:

Hey there, I am in North Bellomre, how about you?

The foam part came off and the clip is not in the tank (must have fell off into the snow).  The current rubber part (that is funnel shape) in no way can fall apart or come loose .... Will this be cover under warranty? or just get  the damn new cover ?

Neil
Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Reply #12   Feb 25, 2005 12:52 pm
Neil,

If your warranty is in force, then they'll give you a new one.  I'd call your dealer and explain it to him.  Perhaps it would suffice to grab your receipt and bring the old cap to him.  I'm in the Manhasset area myself. 

Richie
Neil

Reply #13   Feb 25, 2005 1:39 pm
Yea I am going to do that ..... man no need for the blower we had what 3-4 inches , plus some back excercise with the good ole shovel eh?

Did you get a new gas cap?

Neil
Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Reply #14   Feb 25, 2005 5:18 pm
Neil wrote:

Did you get a new gas cap?

I didn't need one for mine, it already had the newer type.

Richie
newtonian

Tecumseh Gas Cap Design
Reply #15   Feb 26, 2005 7:25 am
Replaced the cap and it runs fine now.  It studdered and stalled just like described above without the complete cap.

I did meet a grumpy dealer.  Went in with the Home Depot snowblower receipt and numbers off the engine.  Thought he'd just replace it but he insisted I bring in the engine per terms of engine warranty.  Implication was that it's a lot of work for him to complete the paperwork so I should go through a lot of work as well.

Cap was inexpensive and not worth dealing with, but did not expect such a response from the local Ariens/Tecumseh dealer. 
This message was modified Feb 26, 2005 by newtonian

2012 Ariens ST24DLE
Semi Retired Ariens 9526 in active reserve
Unknown vintage 5HP Ariens to restore

jubol

Reply #16   Feb 26, 2005 7:29 am
 Newt,

Glad your running now, cause maybe Monday another big snow event!!

Also I'd Email Ariens or Tecsumseh, or both about your dealers treatment of you and your equipment needs.

Fred 

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Reply #17   Feb 26, 2005 8:12 am
newtonian wrote:

Cap was inexpensive and not worth dealing with, but did not expect such a response from the local Ariens/Tecumseh dealer. 

Knowing how the industry works, it wouldn't have surprised me to receive treatment like that if I had purchased at HD and simply brought it to a real dealer for service.  That was just wrong of the dealer since you're obviously a loyal customer.  No good deed goes unpunished.  Glad the new gap made the difference 

Richie
snowshoveler

tides in dirts out surfs up

Reply #18   Feb 26, 2005 9:19 am
hey guys...

im a local dealer .and if you had brought me the cap and engine model numbers i would have given you a cap no problem and would have said sorry for the trouble you already had.

we arent all mean and greedy...you will have to find a friendly dealer and then support him a bit.i wont say you have to buy everything from him but visit once and a while.i dont expect people to pay more at a dealer if they dont have to.

later chris

craftsman 10/28 snowblower with tracks   husky 372xpg chainsaw   sachs dolmar bc212 bushsaw   mondo trimmer   monster tractor with trailer    cheep wheelbarro and couple shovels and a partridge in a pear tree 
Replies: 9 - 18 of 24Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42