Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Sand Spreader

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
ChrisS

Appreciate what you have already been blessed with.

Sand Spreader
Original Message   Feb 23, 2005 4:17 pm
I need a little help, or at least some ideas from everyone.

You have seen pictures of my drive.  It is pretty big and steep at the top.  I need to hand sand it frequently and I am getting tired of this to be quite honest and time is becoming even more scarce for me not less....

I toyed with the idea a few years ago of getting something like a fertilizer spreader to throw the sand/salt mixture that I get free from the town.  Something with rubber tires that would not slip on the ice and something that would throw a lot of sand AND not clog.

Guys and gals within reason price is not an issue as it is something I would use forever as I never see myself not living where there is snow and lots of it.

Again most important for me, really throws the sand, doesn't slip on the ice and does not clog up all the time.  Once in awhile I can deal with the occasional clog but not all the time.

OK does anyone know of something that fits the bill?

I won't be buying it this year as the season is coming to an end but next year it is on my list of considerations along with a trimmer which I must have.

Thanks for any ideas you all might have.....

C

This message was modified Feb 23, 2005 by ChrisS

Honda 928TA, Ariens 924 STE, Toro single stage S-620, 95 Jeep Wrangler with a 6 foot Fisher Plow, many shovels, one 14 year old boy.  Craftsman 01 1000 LTX pimp Gold LT 20hp Briggs OHV V-twin.  Tough as it is ugly.
Replies: 12 - 21 of 21Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
robmints

Re: Sand Spreader
Reply #12   Feb 23, 2005 8:40 pm
I use a plasic broadcast with salt/sand. Works well on clear drive. Works pretty good on icy drive.

If you do it right you only need one pass.

If you can keep the spreader and salt in the truck and park at the top. Or blow the drive and drive the truck to the top and set up spreader to spread down hill. then walk back up empty.

Elcheapo spreader, everything will rust. Even if it is all plastic the rods and cables will give you three-four years at the most maybe five if you are lucky. (used for summer stuff too)

my 2 cents
ChrisS

Reply #13   Feb 24, 2005 7:20 pm
Thanks for the ideas guys.

I will check them all out.

C

Honda 928TA, Ariens 924 STE, Toro single stage S-620, 95 Jeep Wrangler with a 6 foot Fisher Plow, many shovels, one 14 year old boy.  Craftsman 01 1000 LTX pimp Gold LT 20hp Briggs OHV V-twin.  Tough as it is ugly.
snowshoveler

tides in dirts out surfs up

Reply #14   Feb 24, 2005 7:55 pm
hey..

we have sold a good many of the spreaders to companys around town for the same purpose.

only they were doing small parking lots .

the really good working ones are the broadcast type and are almost all plastic.only metal is the axle and a small shaft that runs up through the bucket from axle.this is the piece that spins the broadcaster and it also spins a little wing in the botton to keep the salt sand mix from  clumping up.

it has large pneumatic tires about the same size as wheelbarro only  flat level tread.

we also find that if you mix a 45 gallon drum full of sand with a bag or 2 of salt it wont freeze and if you cover it up it wont get wet.this much would do an average driveway in most conditions for a season.

and like you say you get what you pay for.

later chris

craftsman 10/28 snowblower with tracks   husky 372xpg chainsaw   sachs dolmar bc212 bushsaw   mondo trimmer   monster tractor with trailer    cheep wheelbarro and couple shovels and a partridge in a pear tree 
whitedog

cry once when you buy it, not every time you use it!

Reply #15   Feb 24, 2005 9:05 pm
www.bay-lynx.com has the answer to your sand spreading needs. check out the front discharge unit. 17 yds of material and cat c-12 400 hp turbo diesel to power it for ya! oh yeah it has the obligatory stainless steel cab. can someone post a picture?
This message was modified Feb 24, 2005 by whitedog

ope: ariens 8524, winco 8kw - b/s vanguard v twin, little giant 5 hp b/s, stihl br-650

the difference between smart and stupid is stupid knows no bounds

Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #16   Feb 24, 2005 9:17 pm
bontaiJoe

If it's free, it's for me!

Reply #17   Feb 25, 2005 8:52 am
Earthway makes broadcast spreaders that can be pushed or towed behind a tractor. Excellent quality and available in stainless steel to eliminate rust from salt and fertilizer. They cost a little more, but will last a LOT longer than the cheap plactic units with their breakable gears. Here is their web site:

http://www.earthway-outlet.com/

"Man's mind stretched to a new idea, never goes back to its original dimension." -Oliver Wendell Holmes
ChrisS

Reply #18   Feb 25, 2005 6:40 pm
Those Earthway spreaders are looking pretty good.....

Lots of good ideas thanks.

C

18Degrees

Reply #19   Feb 25, 2005 10:34 pm
Chris s,

How long is your drive?

Gravel?

Blacktop?

I use a small fertlzr. speader for my 95 foot drive, and use water softner salt for my blacktop. (forget the sand if it is short enuogh)

18 degress

18 Degree driveway - 928 Honda track drive - Fertilizer spreader for dispensing salt
ChrisS

Reply #20   Feb 26, 2005 11:11 am
Gravel,

The sand/salt mixture the town supplies is free and works great.

Here's the pics.

What you cannot appreciate is how steep the drive is at the top, I am standing on the upper part of the drive and as you can see I a looking at the roof of my house and I am not a tall dude by any means. 

I like Marshalls idea the most but I know I will never get the LT even with weights and chains up that top part  alone much less pulling a 100+ pounds of sand, it ain't happening in this lifetime, it is hard to walk it up there.

C

18Degrees

Reply #21   Feb 28, 2005 11:05 pm
gravel=bummer                           18 degrees

18 Degree driveway - 928 Honda track drive - Fertilizer spreader for dispensing salt
Replies: 12 - 21 of 21Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42