Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Small part broke on new Ariens...no big deal though.

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
faithfulFrank

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep
to gain what he cannot lose....

Small part broke on new Ariens...no big deal though.
Original Message   Feb 20, 2005 10:29 am
Hey guys,
It's good to be back....life has been hyperspeed the last month.  We just returned from seeing my son off to Africa, and we are now back in cold Western N.Y.

While we were gone, my youngest son, 16 yrs old, has been in charge of using the new Ariens 1332DLE.  While he was last using it, a small piece broke........nothing really important, just the thin plastic bracket that holds the "Lawyer -mandated chute clearing shovel/stick thing" on the front of the unit.

My son states that it did not break by pulling the stick off in a twisted way......he said that while he was blowing out the end of the driveway, a bigger chunk of ice came out of the chute and instead of getting thrown far , far away as usual, it kinda fell right in front of it, falling on the blower itself, thus breaking this little bracket and making the shovel/stick fall off. I tend to believe him, because there has never been a reason even to touch that shovel/stick thing.

Now I'm not complaining about my Ariens, it blows the snow far, etc, and has never clogged.  I DO have to admit though, that this "bracket-clip" mounted on the top front of the blower, IS made a bit flimsy....not in character with the rest of the unit....it is thin plastic, and seems brittle in the cold. I think this should have been made out of some sheet metal.

I plan on calling Ariens Tuesday and seeing if they will just send me another bracket.  Although I have not yet come close to needing the chute cleared, I'm sure they want me to still keep that shovel/stick close by, so I really do need a new bracket.  The bracket is pop riveted on, so I think I will replace the rivets with some small Stainless steel nuts and bolts, so if it happens again it will be easier to replace.

In other "Ariens snowblower news"..........I think I have decided to buy the snow cab and weight kit for the new Ariens. After checking all over, the best price came from the dealer I bought the snowblower from.......(DUH)........price being $160 + tax.  Other places wanted up to $199. for it plus tax or shipping.  I think they install it for $20.00 more, but I think I will do that, unless they also have that bracket thing, and want to just come and get it and do everything in a timely fashion.  I just do not want to be without it this time of year, unless they can return it in less then a day or so..........we'll see.

I may also think about snow chains for it.  I did not think I would need them, hearing so much good about these "new snow hog tires", but on my smooth driveway, I do get some slippage even when the traction shifts from one wheel to the other.....I wonder if the chains will help. The chains are not to nice to driveway sealer....I was hoping to get away from chains, but we'll see.   Yes, I know I can easily put it in "key lock" position with just a turn of the knob, but heck, when it is in that mode, it IS very hard to turn, and if I wanted to do that, I just would have bought the LE instead.

Anyway, all your collective wisdom is eagerly coveted.

Frank D.

Ariens 1332DLE Pro, Exmark 52" HP ZTR, Gardian Generac generator, Shindiawa T230  Excell/Honda PW, Craftsman rototiller, Favorite IPE- My Mac + Ipod- No Windoze for me!
Replies: 1 - 19 of 19View as Thread
Replies: 1 - 19 of 19View as Thread
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42