Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Small part broke on new Ariens...no big deal though.

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
faithfulFrank

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep
to gain what he cannot lose....

Small part broke on new Ariens...no big deal though.
Original Message   Feb 20, 2005 10:29 am
Hey guys,
It's good to be back....life has been hyperspeed the last month.  We just returned from seeing my son off to Africa, and we are now back in cold Western N.Y.

While we were gone, my youngest son, 16 yrs old, has been in charge of using the new Ariens 1332DLE.  While he was last using it, a small piece broke........nothing really important, just the thin plastic bracket that holds the "Lawyer -mandated chute clearing shovel/stick thing" on the front of the unit.

My son states that it did not break by pulling the stick off in a twisted way......he said that while he was blowing out the end of the driveway, a bigger chunk of ice came out of the chute and instead of getting thrown far , far away as usual, it kinda fell right in front of it, falling on the blower itself, thus breaking this little bracket and making the shovel/stick fall off. I tend to believe him, because there has never been a reason even to touch that shovel/stick thing.

Now I'm not complaining about my Ariens, it blows the snow far, etc, and has never clogged.  I DO have to admit though, that this "bracket-clip" mounted on the top front of the blower, IS made a bit flimsy....not in character with the rest of the unit....it is thin plastic, and seems brittle in the cold. I think this should have been made out of some sheet metal.

I plan on calling Ariens Tuesday and seeing if they will just send me another bracket.  Although I have not yet come close to needing the chute cleared, I'm sure they want me to still keep that shovel/stick close by, so I really do need a new bracket.  The bracket is pop riveted on, so I think I will replace the rivets with some small Stainless steel nuts and bolts, so if it happens again it will be easier to replace.

In other "Ariens snowblower news"..........I think I have decided to buy the snow cab and weight kit for the new Ariens. After checking all over, the best price came from the dealer I bought the snowblower from.......(DUH)........price being $160 + tax.  Other places wanted up to $199. for it plus tax or shipping.  I think they install it for $20.00 more, but I think I will do that, unless they also have that bracket thing, and want to just come and get it and do everything in a timely fashion.  I just do not want to be without it this time of year, unless they can return it in less then a day or so..........we'll see.

I may also think about snow chains for it.  I did not think I would need them, hearing so much good about these "new snow hog tires", but on my smooth driveway, I do get some slippage even when the traction shifts from one wheel to the other.....I wonder if the chains will help. The chains are not to nice to driveway sealer....I was hoping to get away from chains, but we'll see.   Yes, I know I can easily put it in "key lock" position with just a turn of the knob, but heck, when it is in that mode, it IS very hard to turn, and if I wanted to do that, I just would have bought the LE instead.

Anyway, all your collective wisdom is eagerly coveted.

Frank D.

Ariens 1332DLE Pro, Exmark 52" HP ZTR, Gardian Generac generator, Shindiawa T230  Excell/Honda PW, Craftsman rototiller, Favorite IPE- My Mac + Ipod- No Windoze for me!
Replies: 10 - 19 of 19Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
bbwb

Less is more...more or less

Re: Small part broke on new Ariens...no big deal though.
Reply #10   Feb 20, 2005 9:09 pm
Hi Frank:

I can't chime in on the chute poker or the cab...only the weight kit.  You will be glad that you bought that.  I orginally did not have the weight and found that the 1028 would tend to climb out of the snow I was trying to clear.  Once the weight was put on it solved the climb out.  Too bad that the hunk of steel is $50.

One thing I did when mounting the plate steel is to install some of the self adhesive "rubber" feet to the bottom of the bar.  These feet keep the plate off the top of the housing so that rust between the two from rubbing etc would not occur.

I too thought that chains would need to be used (after all, they were on my old one you know) but find that the Ariens tend to move along without too much balking.

bbwb

Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #11   Feb 20, 2005 9:14 pm
Geeze Frank, you have that beast with just a few, weak hours of use and already have it torn up and worth half what you paid. I'm not loaning you anything!
AJace

I have an Ariens 926 Pro because I like Orange

Reply #12   Feb 21, 2005 12:38 am
I wouldn't want a metal clip on mine unless it is spring loaded like Patsfan said.  It does seem like that holder would break when I am removing it.  I thought that cab was more that what you quoted but it is a good price. 

Ariens 926 DLE Professional; Toro S200; Craftsman LT1000, Echo ES-230;

mml4

Snow is good,
Deep snow is better!

Reply #13   Feb 21, 2005 7:00 am
Hi Frank!

Used chains on my 1974 Simplicity since new. The friend I sold it to thanked me after using it but wanted to know if he could take them off. They will beat up your driveway no doubt. Maybe you can try what those NASCAR guys do and take a pound or two of pressure out of the tires.

As far as the Snow Cab make sure you can fit it under the garage door. They are very tall. I bought one years ago and wound up not being able to use it.Felt like a real dope when I put it on in the garage and couldn't get the machine out. You will definitely need the weight kit if you use the cab. It changes the balance of the machine  towards the rear.

If you do decide to go with the cab check out EBAY. They are on there all the time.

Marc

SnapperV210P,Toro22177,TroyBilt42010Snowthrower,Craftsman Shredder,American Turbo Pressure Washer HondaGX200,Stihl011Saw,EchoPas260Trimmer Edger,EchoPB602Blower,EchoHCR150Hedge Clipper
faithfulFrank

Reply #14   Feb 21, 2005 8:18 am
Morning Guys,
Hey, there is snow on my driveway today, but I'd thought I'd post before clearing out the driveway.

Mike from fla....you're killing me.  I was just in Key West a few weeks ago....it was a bit warmer there then here...no snowblowers at all.......

Marc- good advice!  I think I'm ok, my garage door is 8' high instead of the normal 7'........I've been checking on ebay, but I want an original Arien one. There is one on there now, but $160 new, with the 20 lb weight kit I think is the best way to go.

Marshall...........yes, you are right.........but come on, move next door and it could be 50-50.......you loan them and I'll break them!   Thankfully, this is just a flimsy holder for the chute stick, and it really could have been built a bit better, or perhaps the stick could have been mounted on the handles somewhere like Sherri said the snappers were. I guess they want it in plain view next to the chute for the dum-dum who is tempted to stick their hand in the chute.............guys with nicknames like "Lefty", "Stubby". "Nubs", etc..........

Well, time to clear that driveway before anyone drives on it!

Frank D.

Ariens 1332DLE Pro, Exmark 52" HP ZTR, Gardian Generac generator, Shindiawa T230  Excell/Honda PW, Craftsman rototiller, Favorite IPE- My Mac + Ipod- No Windoze for me!
terrapin24h

The more I learn the less i know

Reply #15   Feb 21, 2005 9:18 am
Frank-
    With regards to the chain thing, i'd worry about the diff taking that extra beating too.  Maybe softening the tires up a bit?  I know mine were over inflated when i got my 824.

--chris
2001 Homelite VacAttack Blower
2001 6hp Toro PPace 22" mower
2001 Ariens 824LE
2002 6hp 2400 PSI Excell Powerwasher
2004 18hp Craftsman 27375 42" mower
2004 42cc Craftsman 18" chainsaw
faithfulFrank

Reply #16   Feb 21, 2005 9:37 am
Dear Rob,
I think you may be right. For years I scuffed up the driveway with the chains on my old Toro.  I did inflate the tires up to the specs....perhaps I'll go down just a pound or two. I can live with the occasional "spin".
The snow was very wet today...temp 34 °
Nice to have the chute not clog even with wet snow.

Frank D.

Dave___in___CT

Deliberate often...
...decide once...

Reply #17   Feb 21, 2005 2:30 pm
Hi Frank and welcome back !

Tire chains... see if Ariens allows them on the snowblower...

Regular chains will give it a bouncy ride...

One tire chain solution I used on an ancient history snowblower with the old style, almost smooth tires...
was using chain made for double hung windows in old houses... still available at hardware and big box stores...

This chain is not as big and clunky as regular tire chains... so the ride is smoother... and traction is good...
I cut the chain in individual lengths... wrapped each length over the tire... and attached the 2 loose ends with wire... there were holes thru the tire rim for the wire to go through... I don't see any holes in the Ariens rim at their web site...

Next "chain" idea... is using screws... screwed into the deep tire tread parts... can use regular, short sheet metal screws with the hex head... or... buy hardened screws made for use on dirt bike tires... which will last longer... there may be same/similar screws for snowmobile tracks too.. you determine how may screws to use...

My sons did this successfully on their dirt bikes for winter riding... using regular sheet metal screws... but they didn't last all that long with the rear tire spinning most of the time... should get decent wear on a snowblower though...
...unless you pull a lotta' hole shots !  

Dave...

Whether you think you can or you can't... you're right.
Henry Ford

BCS Tractor & snowblower

ChrisS

Appreciate what you have already been blessed with.

Reply #18   Feb 21, 2005 3:25 pm
Hello Frank,

I think chains may just fall between the treads of the snowhogs that come with the beast. 

I have snowblown my pond out back with my father's Ariens 924 with snowhogs and never slipped.  I never had a traction problem with them.  I was always so impressed with them. 

Perhaps they are over inflated?  Maybe the rubber is different  than the ones on our 96 model. 

C

This message was modified Feb 21, 2005 by ChrisS

Honda 928TA, Ariens 924 STE, Toro single stage S-620, 95 Jeep Wrangler with a 6 foot Fisher Plow, many shovels, one 14 year old boy.  Craftsman 01 1000 LTX pimp Gold LT 20hp Briggs OHV V-twin.  Tough as it is ugly.
snowshoveler

tides in dirts out surfs up

Reply #19   Feb 21, 2005 6:35 pm
there are special purpose chains for the sno hog tires and they work very wel but they aint cheep.

i would try the  air pressure trick first and then maybe the screws.

later chris

craftsman 10/28 snowblower with tracks   husky 372xpg chainsaw   sachs dolmar bc212 bushsaw   mondo trimmer   monster tractor with trailer    cheep wheelbarro and couple shovels and a partridge in a pear tree 
Replies: 10 - 19 of 19Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42