Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Cast Iron Cylinder Sleeves

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
mml4

Snow is good,
Deep snow is better!

Cast Iron Cylinder Sleeves
Original Message   Feb 18, 2005 2:23 pm
What is the purpose of sleeving the bore of a new engine with cast iron? The ohv Snow King Tecumsehs still have the sleeve while according to my dealer the Briggs Snow Intek does not.

I am aware of sleeving being used to keep in service engines that have been bored to the point that the cylinder walls are too thin. Again,why on a new engine?

Marc 

SnapperV210P,Toro22177,TroyBilt42010Snowthrower,Craftsman Shredder,American Turbo Pressure Washer HondaGX200,Stihl011Saw,EchoPas260Trimmer Edger,EchoPB602Blower,EchoHCR150Hedge Clipper
Replies: 4 - 13 of 39Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
snowshoveler

tides in dirts out surfs up

Re: Cast Iron Cylinder Sleeves
Reply #4   Feb 18, 2005 5:41 pm
hey folks...

i just so happen to be a master tech for briggs so i emailed them about the snow inteks and will have an answer ...around the turn of the centuary (sp) i couldnt find the answer on the dealer website   wouldnt you guys love to know what is on that site .

the cast iron liners wear much longer and are more resistant to overheating than aluminum liners.

there is also a different piston  and the rings are different.

will post the answer asap.

later chris

craftsman 10/28 snowblower with tracks   husky 372xpg chainsaw   sachs dolmar bc212 bushsaw   mondo trimmer   monster tractor with trailer    cheep wheelbarro and couple shovels and a partridge in a pear tree 
mml4

Snow is good,
Deep snow is better!

Reply #5   Feb 18, 2005 6:10 pm
Hi Chris!

I called Briggs after reading Mints' reply. The tech I spoke to said that he needed the spec # off the engine in order to answer. Since I am only shopping and have not as yet bought a machine -no spec #. He suggested I call Simplicity. Might as well try to get Bush to answer your call at the White House!

I was able to see an Intek carb at the dealer and it does have a plastic float. It was not off a Snow engine so no one was sure if the bowl had a drain . The carb as you know is completely enclosed in a plastic shroud so you can't tell without taking it off .

Any information you can find out would be greatly appreciated,

Marc

SnapperV210P,Toro22177,TroyBilt42010Snowthrower,Craftsman Shredder,American Turbo Pressure Washer HondaGX200,Stihl011Saw,EchoPas260Trimmer Edger,EchoPB602Blower,EchoHCR150Hedge Clipper
robmints

Reply #6   Feb 19, 2005 7:58 am
I think the ones called Powerbilt (or something) are the aluminium engines. Below 10 HP the Intek and powerbilt are pretty much the same. But over 10 HP the inteks have a cast iron bore.
nibbler

Reply #7   Feb 19, 2005 8:15 am
Its my understanding that the same thing happens in other areas such as compressors and for essentially the same reasons:

1. Alumunum is lighter
2. Aluminum is easier to cast and machine;
3. Aluminum disapates heat faster (? I think, not sure)
4. Iron/Steel wears less in a high friction environment.
5. Iron/Steel resists heat deformation better ( less warping)

Therefore most of the housing is aluminum while the heavy wear items such as the cylinders are inserts of the tougher wearing material. Essentially the engineers are trying to optimize the design based on the specific needs of the part. The term "optomize" includes cost to manufacture and material cost as well as performance. That why you don't normally have tungsten liners in retail OPE. Its a balancing act.
mml4

Snow is good,
Deep snow is better!

Reply #8   Feb 19, 2005 9:32 am
Good morning guys!

Last night I went to the "Small Engine Warehouse" web site and checked their stock of horizontal shaft Briggs. They had two Snow Intek Engines with cast iron bores(spec#20D414007&#20D4140019). This information is confirmed by the conversation I had with a Tech at Briggs yesterday . He's the guy who told me that the engines come both aluminum and cast iron bores. He gave me as an example the# 20D4140017 as an example of a cast Iron bore engine. I am going back to the Simplicity dealer this morning to look at the #s on the engine.

This issue of dealers not knowing what is powering the equiptment and what's available is not new to me. Last spring I bought a commercial Toro lawn mower and I had the same issues over the Kawasaki power and what options were available with it and if you could get it in New York etc. The dealers would like to make a sale but the manufacturers don't make the info. available to them. For example I have the new Simplicity catalog and nowhere does it mention word one about cylinder bore construction.Go to their web site and not only is there no phone # to call but in order to send them an Email inquiry you have to give your address and phone # etc.I don' want to give all that info. to ask a question.

Before someone accuses me of being unreasonable in wanting to know about cylinder construction take a look at all of the competitions advertisements. If someone is manufacturing a cast Iron bore engine you don't have to be a detective to find out. 

I called Briggs and they can't tell you what engines are being used on equiptment being manufactured by a company they own!

.No disrespect intended to "Mints" earlier posts concerning this issue. But when a Briggs factory tech.tells you that the engine comes both aluminum and cast iron you kind of want to nail it down. I think "Mints" is right . Can't imagine Simplicity would use the aluminum cylinder model .

Please excuse my rant but it shouldn't be this hard to buy a Snow Blower,

Marc

snowshoveler

tides in dirts out surfs up

Reply #9   Feb 19, 2005 9:53 am
your absolutley right...

it really tics me off when im selling more of these snow inteks than any other shop in Nova Scotia and i dont even know about the liner or lack there of.

and whats worse im a master teck for them and that is supposed to mean somthing ,and i still dont have a readily available answer.

but i can assure you when i get to the update school ,the factory rep is gonna hear about this web site and what it means to people here.and i can assure you im not happy about the lack of information that is really available to people that are interested in making informed purchasing decisions.

im sorry i didnt know the engines bore construction,i guess i took it for granted it was castiron lined.but you know if it dosent say that, then it probably isnt.

i will keep you all updated,thanks for the patience.

later chris

craftsman 10/28 snowblower with tracks   husky 372xpg chainsaw   sachs dolmar bc212 bushsaw   mondo trimmer   monster tractor with trailer    cheep wheelbarro and couple shovels and a partridge in a pear tree 
robmints

Reply #10   Feb 19, 2005 10:33 am

Marc,
It is my understanding that both are aluminium engines if less than 9 HP like would be in the 860, that Simplicity would have an aluminium bore.

If however you are looking at a 1060 and it said Intek Snow it should have a cast iron bore. The 960, I have no idea.

I am not positve about any of this, it was what I have been told.                                                       

mml4

Snow is good,
Deep snow is better!

Reply #11   Feb 19, 2005 12:12 pm
Hi Guys!

Just back from the Simplicity dealer. He is closed on Saturday. Winter hours don't ya know!

Yours in total frustration,

Marc

boblloyd

"Forty-two," said Deep Thought, with infinite majesty and calm.

Reply #12   Feb 19, 2005 12:25 pm
I wonder if a cast iron sleeve is any kind of an advantage in a snow motor.    None of my walk-behind mowers had cast iron sleeves and I've never had a cylinder wear problem. They saw many more hours of use per year than a snow blower would - and in much hotter conditions.   I think the main advantage of cast iron is better resistance high temperature. 

One advantage of an aluminum bore is better corrosion resistance - a big plus for a motor that might see just a few hours use in the winter and be idle otherwise.   I doubt an aluminum bore would ever be a factor in the life of a snow motor especially with modern synthetic oils.    -Bob

jubol

Reply #13   Feb 19, 2005 12:30 pm
 Mark,

The Simp 860 blower has an 8HP Intek, which has an cast iron sleeve.

Go to Small Engine Warehouse and check out their snow engines and read the specs.

Hope this helps

Fred         

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
Replies: 4 - 13 of 39Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42