Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Cast Iron Cylinder Sleeves

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
mml4

Snow is good,
Deep snow is better!

Cast Iron Cylinder Sleeves
Original Message   Feb 18, 2005 2:23 pm
What is the purpose of sleeving the bore of a new engine with cast iron? The ohv Snow King Tecumsehs still have the sleeve while according to my dealer the Briggs Snow Intek does not.

I am aware of sleeving being used to keep in service engines that have been bored to the point that the cylinder walls are too thin. Again,why on a new engine?

Marc 

SnapperV210P,Toro22177,TroyBilt42010Snowthrower,Craftsman Shredder,American Turbo Pressure Washer HondaGX200,Stihl011Saw,EchoPas260Trimmer Edger,EchoPB602Blower,EchoHCR150Hedge Clipper
Replies: 13 - 22 of 39Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
jubol

Re: Cast Iron Cylinder Sleeves
Reply #13   Feb 19, 2005 12:30 pm
 Mark,

The Simp 860 blower has an 8HP Intek, which has an cast iron sleeve.

Go to Small Engine Warehouse and check out their snow engines and read the specs.

Hope this helps

Fred         

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
walbroman

Clean Carb Clean Machine

Reply #14   Feb 19, 2005 2:57 pm
Small engines starting at -40C and getting warmer needs those cast iron  Cylinder Sleeves why?

Because they have aluminium blocks and it's very important that the piston runs in a iron enviromment.

Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #15   Feb 19, 2005 2:59 pm
boblloyd wrote:
I wonder if a cast iron sleeve is any kind of an advantage in a snow motor.    None of my walk-behind mowers had cast iron sleeves and I've never had a cylinder wear problem. They saw many more hours of use per year than a snow blower would - and in much hotter conditions.   I think the main advantage of cast iron is better resistance high temperature. 

One advantage of an aluminum bore is better corrosion resistance - a big plus for a motor that might see just a few hours use in the winter and be idle otherwise.   I doubt an aluminum bore would ever be a factor in the life of a snow motor especially with modern synthetic oils.    -Bob

I would agree with this.
Walt

Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. -T. Roosevelt

Reply #16   Feb 19, 2005 3:41 pm
Throwing more iron into the fire...

I don't have any answers to the issue at hand, but I am throwing in information that may have been used in the companies decision.

Aluminum and steel expand and contract at different rates.  Steel expands/contracts less per degree than aluminum does.  If one had an aluminum piston that gets hot, within a steel bore, the seal/ gap between them might become better as the engine is warmed (assuming tolerances would never allow siezing of the piston).  If one had a steel piston inside an aluminum housing, and subjected it to temp extremes, the seal could be great at startup, but get worse as it is goes 

Also, the rings on a piston are usually steel.  As long as there is no foriegn matter in the upper or lower part of the piston, abrasion wouldn't be an issue; but if foriegn matter got stuck near the rings it would tend to scratch the aluminum housing first.

Depending on the process that was used to create the housing, a cast aluminum may have a porous surface, in turn a machined steel liner would assure a good finish inside the bore.  The Aluminum does disipate heat far faster than would a steel housing.

FWIW,

Walt 

This message was modified Feb 19, 2005 by Walt
robmints

Reply #17   Feb 19, 2005 3:46 pm
jubol wrote:
 Mark,

The Simp 860 blower has an 8HP Intek, which has an cast iron sleeve.

Go to Small Engine Warehouse and check out their snow engines and read the specs.

Hope this helps

Fred         

Fred,
The only things that are odd are that the information I relayed is from Briggs tech support from a call made late last year, and if you go to the Briggs website Dura-Bore cast iron liner used to be the first thing listed for all the Inteks. Now there is no mention of Dura-bore for the Intek Snow.

Commercial Intek

Residential Intek site
jubol

Reply #18   Feb 19, 2005 3:59 pm
Rob,

Read above, where I refered Mark to the Engine Warehouse.

At their  site, Intek engines spec sheets refer to a cast iron liner, at least 7.5 HP and up.

Fred

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
millwright

MIllwrights keep the world running

Reply #19   Feb 19, 2005 4:28 pm
look  at the price for  a short block cast iron sleeve or alum. bore .Big diff  in price .Heat  is inside from combustion  as far as thermel  exspansion  it travels in all directions . Bottom line cheaper to produce.No cast iron sleeve stay away. Just my opinion. and you no what they say about opinions,there like a xxxxx holes every one has one.

millwright

mml4

Snow is good,
Deep snow is better!

Reply #20   Feb 19, 2005 7:50 pm
Hi Guys!

Fred-I saw the Small Engine deal last night. The problem is that Briggs Tech Support told me  over the phone the only way to be sure is to check the spec # on the engine . He assured me there are two classes of Intek Snow Engines-One aluminum bore and one cast iron bore. For some reason they have decided not to distinguish the difference accept by spec #. Also interesting to find cast iron  bore Intek Snow Engines on the Small Engine Warehouse list rated at 7.5hp.

The only way to tell is chack for the spec# on the block. While the lists at Small engine warehouse refer to the cast iron models as Snow Intek IC engines if  you click on the picture notice it doesen't say anything about IC on the engines. 

This will all resolve itself next week when I can get a look at the engine. 

Marc

This message was modified Feb 19, 2005 by mml4

SnapperV210P,Toro22177,TroyBilt42010Snowthrower,Craftsman Shredder,American Turbo Pressure Washer HondaGX200,Stihl011Saw,EchoPas260Trimmer Edger,EchoPB602Blower,EchoHCR150Hedge Clipper
robmints

Reply #21   Feb 19, 2005 7:59 pm
jubol wrote:
Rob,

Read above, where I refered Mark to the Engine Warehouse.

At their  site, Intek engines spec sheets refer to a cast iron liner, at least 7.5 HP and up.

Fred

I saw that Fred. My confusion comes from Briggs changing it's website, and the information that I got from Briggs. I think Marc should get the model numbers and get some good information from that really knows. It's a lot of money, and it doesn't hurt to be sure.

I saw these that you had posted. There are other 7.5 Briggs on that site with an "essd" at the end that don't say cast iron liner.
SEW 7.5 Briggs
jubol

Reply #22   Feb 20, 2005 4:33 am
  Rob,

Some 7.5's do and some 7.5's don't, but all the 8 and above that I checked did have cast iron liners.

Like Richie thinks, OPE Engine makers are blowing smoke!!!

I've been checking into Tec's OHV engine spec's and found the following.

The Tec 8,9, 10 and 11HP OHV engines have all the same specs.

Same displacement, weight, bore and stroke!! So how are they different? Don't know for sure!

So I have come to the conclusion that Tec and Briggs are controlling HP 3  ways on each engine.

1. Different Carb's  ( different jets) .

2. Different cam shafts.

3.The length of time the  intake and exhuast  valves are open, and height of valves when open.

Those 3 things would change the amount of fuel in the cylinder, reduce engine breathing ability and maybe compression slightly, thus changing amount of HP produced.

IMHO                                            Fred   

This message was modified Feb 20, 2005 by jubol

Replies: 13 - 22 of 39Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42