Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > An Apology from SnowRemover

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
KRoach

An Apology from SnowRemover
Original Message   Feb 18, 2005 9:31 am
Normally an apology is a simple thing.  Admit wrong doing and ask for forgiveness.  In this particular case I think that would be a mistake without explaining my short history here at AbbysGuide and how I’ve changed during that time.

I came here in mid-January, 2005 asking for help in buying a snow blower.  Many people went out of their way to give me their thoughts and opinions.  In return for their work, I responded with harshness, skepticism, and crassness.  I wanted more information from these people and somehow felt they owed me, when in truth it was I who was in debt to them.

After about a week the moderators decided to take some action – specifically ChrisS who publicly warned me.  Warned ME!  How dare he, I thought, I’m SnowRemover.  Instead of taking the warning to heart, I responded in a defensive manner.  More specifically, how a pre-adolescent responds to an adult who always gives in to every temper tantrum.

At this point, I’d be lying if I told you I thought I had done anything wrong.  In fact, I believed myself to be the beacon on a hill, not an instigator of arguments.  After a few days of being non-argumentative, I found myself without the capability of replying to a topic, or starting a new one.  Most logical and decent people would have taken this as a wake up call and asked what needed to be done to make amends – but not ME!  No, I am SnowRemover and I pushed back hard, writing off Private Messages to ChrisS and Marshall demanding my posting rights.  When this failed, I even threatened to come on this site with multiple identities should they not reinstitute my privileges.

To their credit, the moderators stood their ground.  To my discredit, I followed through with my plan.  I created multiple identities on the site, forcing the mods to ban these user names and the administrator (Peter) to lock out my IP Address.

Yet again, the message “You’re a jerk” was getting through.  I was SnowRemover, and I can spoof IP addresses and get around these locks.  And so I did, getting more user names, flaunting my prowess and believing I was better than the moderators on the site, better than the administrator and better than the users.

I came back as different users, but found myself, at times needing real advice.  Found myself needing AbbysGuide and its collective wisdom.  I wish I could say I had an epiphanic moment, when the light clicked on in my head and I suddenly realized what a fool I’d been, but that wasn’t the case.  It was more of a long term realization, where each day I found myself more resentful that my posts were being removed and my new identities banned, but not resentful at the mods or the administrator, instead at myself. 

If I was the great SnowRemover, why did I keep coming back here?  Why did I need your advice?  How could someone who is better than all others, need those people.  These were the questions that stewed in my head the last ten days.

And here I am, today, asking for your forgiveness.  A forgiveness that, if the shoe be on the other foot, only a few short days ago, I would not return to you.  That is the position I’m in today, asking once again for your generosity and sympathy, which I’ve already taken, used and scorned before.

The moderators here have been good enough to allow me to post this apology to you, the users, to the moderators and the administrator.  I ask for your forgiveness.

Sincerely,
SnowRemover

Replies: 41 - 50 of 50Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
ChicoInDemand

Re: An Apology from SnowRemover
Reply #41   Feb 22, 2005 10:24 am
I'm not much of a poster, but I do read the boards often and did decide on my Craftsman 88775 and my leaf blower after reading many discussions here the past two years. I am appreciative of the time and effort it takes users to post good info here and I also appreciate the time and efforts the moderators must have to put in to keep it all going. After reading the apology, I'm also glad to see that SnowRemover has been let back in. Everyone deserves a fresh start as long as no one got physically hurt. With that being said, what about someone like Chopper who was banned from the old board? I don't recall his postings to be any worse that what we have gone through with SnowRemover but he too had a couple of user names going and I believe that was what ultimately enraged the moderators. It seems we were all extremely hard on him and even went into discussions (and diagnosis) of what we perceived as his mental problems. In the end I believe it was he who raised the question as to why this board continually gave high praise and kudos to top end machines like Honda and Ariens and spoke negatively about MTD and Murray. The debate got heated and he got banned. In the spirit of Niceativity that seems to be flowing here at the new board, I ask...Can't we all just get along? Yes he was sometimes a pain in the arse, but on many topics I thought he was right on target and actually had scientific backing for some of his arguments. Would an apology get him back? Is that going to become standard operating policy? Just curious.
TheKneebiter

Reply #42   Feb 22, 2005 10:56 am
If you ban him again he might end up moving to sirius radio.  Im sure someone out here will understand this.

jubol

Reply #43   Feb 22, 2005 11:01 am
  Knee,

Are you saying he can maybe join Howard Stern!!

Fred  

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
ChrisS

Appreciate what you have already been blessed with.

Reply #44   Feb 22, 2005 11:38 am
If he asked we would consider it as we have with SnowRemover.

In the end though rememer this, we moderators don't come here daily and spend our precious time looking to edit or ban people.  If a person IS edited or banned they have been warned many times before that happens.  By rights when that time does come we have no obligtion to let that person back on. 

C

Honda 928TA, Ariens 924 STE, Toro single stage S-620, 95 Jeep Wrangler with a 6 foot Fisher Plow, many shovels, one 14 year old boy.  Craftsman 01 1000 LTX pimp Gold LT 20hp Briggs OHV V-twin.  Tough as it is ugly.
Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #45   Feb 22, 2005 11:49 am
Agreed, that would be something that should be discussed by e-mail or PM with one of the Mods.

If Chopper/JKON, et al want's to contact me, I would listen to him.
SnowRemover

Toro 828LXE

Reply #46   Feb 23, 2005 8:51 am
Everyone, thank you for your support. I promise I won't let you down.

--SnowRemover

It is hard enough to remember my opinions, without also remembering my reasons for them!
--Friedrich Nietzsche
Geno

51- love God 1st, then OPE

Reply #47   Feb 23, 2005 6:49 pm
Just want to make a quick comment before this thread moves on.   I don't recall if I ever had any $#%*munication on any old post with Snowremover, but I did follow those post alittle when things were getting out of hand. I eventually quit following as the only thing coming out of it was negative things. Most of us in one way or another deal with some 'negativity' at times through out our work day..I.E customers, and in my case co-workers.  So in our evening hours to settle in and relax on pc, and to come here to learn or share..the last thing most people want (especially those who just got done dealing with iritating customers) is to see the same here. I do really appreciate the way the Moderators(sorry, terrible speller) are running this site. It is important to keep it the way it was intended for..and have a little fun doing it, and even get a little silly at times. A vast amount of knowledge is shared and learned here. BUT, What I really think that puts the icing on the cake here is..You folks running this site all seem to have a forgiving Heart.. at least one more time. This act of kindness makes me very proud to be here on this site from time to time. I think it is safe to say We all have done something we regret, and learned from it, I know I have. So now it's time to move ahead.   Hats off to you Moderators and while I don't know Snowremover- Glad things have worked out the way they have.  thanks also to Frank for that verse..It is there for a reason.      Geno  ( sorry for so long a post)
Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #48   Feb 23, 2005 7:36 pm
Geno wrote:
Just want to make a quick comment before this thread moves on.   I don't recall if I ever had any $#%*munication on any old post with Snowremover, but I did follow those post alittle when things were getting out of hand. I eventually quit following as the only thing coming out of it was negative things. Most of us in one way or another deal with some 'negativity' at times through out our work day..I.E customers, and in my case co-workers.  So in our evening hours to settle in and relax on pc, and to come here to learn or share..the last thing most people want (especially those who just got done dealing with iritating customers) is to see the same here. I do really appreciate the way the Moderators(sorry, terrible speller) are running this site. It is important to keep it the way it was intended for..and have a little fun doing it, and even get a little silly at times. A vast amount of knowledge is shared and learned here. BUT, What I really think that puts the icing on the cake here is..You folks running this site all seem to have a forgiving Heart.. at least one more time. This act of kindness makes me very proud to be here on this site from time to time. I think it is safe to say We all have done something we regret, and learned from it, I know I have. So now it's time to move ahead.   Hats off to you Moderators and while I don't know Snowremover- Glad things have worked out the way they have.  thanks also to Frank for that verse..It is there for a reason.      Geno  ( sorry for so long a post)
Geno,

Thank you.

I think a point might need to be made here and I am glad you brought this up to make me think of it.

This forum is your all's forum, the members! We moderators post as members much more than we do moderators, thank God. The type of people you all let in here and let post are the guys and girls you see around you, quality people! You all have the power collectively to make unruly members not want to be here, who wants to be where they are not wanted? You all have the power to make them feel that they are not listened to, that their credibility is lost.

You also have the power to make the right kind of folks stay here, and you all do a fantastic job of that and we thank you very much!

The bottom line is that this site is what you all allow it to be, all we moderators have that you don't is a control button that says go away. I would like to never have to use that again.

Here's to all of you.........
This message was modified Feb 23, 2005 by Marshall
robmints

Reply #49   Feb 23, 2005 8:20 pm
Here, here Marshall.

Geno, Marshall,
Thanks.
AJace

I have an Ariens 926 Pro because I like Orange

Reply #50   Feb 23, 2005 9:46 pm
Frank and Chris I remember now.  I had just forgotten it, and thanks for reminding me.   

Marshall well stated, that is exactly how it is here and I am very glad to be a part of this forum. 

Ariens 926 DLE Professional; Toro S200; Craftsman LT1000, Echo ES-230;

Replies: 41 - 50 of 50Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42