Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > What 2 mowers do I keep?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Geno

51- love God 1st, then OPE

What 2 mowers do I keep?
Original Message   Feb 17, 2005 11:10 am
have only room for 2 mowers- others are going.  Question is which 2 do I keep? I don't mind putting alittle work in them, but really want to keep the ones that are of better quality..and have a better durability record.  I'll list what I have ( basic description as I don't have model numbers accessable)  all about 10 years and older.   (1)Honda Harmony 215 - needs new head otherwise good, no bag.    (2) Snapper- looks to only need cover over drive disk area, and tune up      (3)Lawnboy silver series with a 6.5 hp Brigg's on it.- minor paint wear. steel deck     (4) another Lawnboy identical to #3 except has a 5 hp tecumseh- motor seems to burn oil..1/4 qt per hour.    (5) 2 very old magnisium deck lawnboys. one has steel cover that sits sideways, other has yellow plastic larger cover. the second one is self-propelled...niether is in running condition yet-but may need just TLC.   I know this really isn't much to go by, but just looking for a general idea on what to keep based on value and relibility.        thanks for you guy's opinion- I respect all your opinions and experiance      Gene
Replies: 7 - 16 of 16Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
MountainMan

Overpowered is Usually Adequate

Re: What 2 mowers do I keep?
Reply #7   Feb 17, 2005 3:51 pm
Marshall wrote:
FILL IN US NON-MAGNESIUMITES, WHAT WILL THEY DO?

Magnesium is a Class "D" fire, a metal that burns EXTREMLY HOT, Aproaching 5000 degree farenheight. Ive personally seen a few cars ( Fiero's) with magnesium components burn. They cant be put out with water, and as a matte of fact, the water ENHANCES the fire. . Water application can produce explosive Hydrogen gas. Soda ash id prefered method of extinguishment.

So, do I have your interest now?

This message was modified Feb 17, 2005 by MountainMan

Ariens 1128PRO- Honda Generator_ Husky 480-257 Jonsered 2050Turbo- Shindiawa T2500 SCAG Mower -little wonder blower-Sears track blower-Coleman Generator- Bombadier ATV-Stihl HS-45 Etc-Etc-Etc
Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #8   Feb 17, 2005 3:53 pm
Let's Rock! 
This message was modified Feb 17, 2005 by Marshall
Ben07

The more you know about something, the more you find there is to know.

Reply #9   Feb 17, 2005 3:58 pm
Not sure how true this is, but I was told that you got to be really careful with the filings, like the little dust pile after you drill say a hole in a mag mower deck, (for a patch repair or something,)  suppost to be highly volital,  guess that means no smoking while working. 

Ben07

Ariens 8524LE, Toro CCR2000, Jacobsen S-B S-blowers, Generac 10hp Gen-convt. to N.G., 5 L-boys(D's F's &Dura( 74,77,80,88,00), Antiq. 1960 AYP 20 in. mag w 3.5 Tech mower. Ryan/Ryobi gas Trim. AYP 205 gas blwr. Mac c-saw,Toro E-blwr, 2 Weed-E e. stg. trims. outboards, boats, util trail, 2 Jeeps 
MountainMan

Reply #10   Feb 17, 2005 4:31 pm
Ben07 wrote:
Not sure how true this is, but I was told that you got to be really careful with the filings, like the little dust pile after you drill say a hole in a mag mower deck, (for a patch repair or something,)  suppost to be highly volital,  guess that means no smoking while working. 

Ben07

Exactly. The block ( or deck ) is tough to get going. Shavings and fillings are very easy to start. in cars, once the car is burning, it gets the magnesium burning after a while.

I have a Emergency magnesium fire starter, carry it when im in the woods since I was in the Scouts years ago. Always impressed eberyone when they saw that thing start a Blazing white hot fire. It was almost as bright as a flash bulb going off.

Ariens 1128PRO- Honda Generator_ Husky 480-257 Jonsered 2050Turbo- Shindiawa T2500 SCAG Mower -little wonder blower-Sears track blower-Coleman Generator- Bombadier ATV-Stihl HS-45 Etc-Etc-Etc
jubol

Reply #11   Feb 17, 2005 4:34 pm
    MM,

When I was flying in the USAF, we had the MAG fire starter in our survival kits!!

Fred  

This message was modified Feb 17, 2005 by jubol

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
MountainMan

Reply #12   Feb 17, 2005 4:56 pm
jubol wrote:
    MM,

When I was flying in the USAF, we had the MAG fire starter in our survival kits!!

Fred  

I love those things, I used one up almost comletly, and am on a second.

I hated how it dulled out my knives, so I put a carbine machine tool insert  on a chain with it.

Geno

Reply #13   Feb 18, 2005 4:15 pm
Thanks for the input folks- do appreciate it.  I really don't want to mess around selling the old lawnboys, so will put out to street except the one with 6.5 b&s motor. of course..any of you guys/gals want them help yourself, but- catch is you need to pick up them, really to much hassle to ship.  there is a old toro recycler~ very old simple lawnboy non-selfpropelled 19 inch deck~ lawnboy with a oil-burning 5 hp tec. this is self-propelled~another old lawnboy non-selfpropelled (missing rewind) . Who ever asked about the snapper motor..it is about a 4-4.5 hp b&s. ( this I'll keep as suggested) Thanks to all..I may decide to dump them all if I get tired of looking at them? not yet thou..          Gene- in Madison, WI.
Emmo

Reply #14   Feb 18, 2005 4:24 pm
Geno wrote:
Thanks for the input folks- do appreciate it.  I really don't want to mess around selling the old lawnboys, so will put out to street except the one with 6.5 b&s motor. of course..any of you guys/gals want them help yourself, but- catch is you need to pick up them, really to much hassle to ship.  there is a old toro recycler~ very old simple lawnboy non-selfpropelled 19 inch deck~ lawnboy with a oil-burning 5 hp tec. this is self-propelled~another old lawnboy non-selfpropelled (missing rewind) . Who ever asked about the snapper motor..it is about a 4-4.5 hp b&s. ( this I'll keep as suggested) Thanks to all..I may decide to dump them all if I get tired of looking at them? not yet thou..          Gene- in Madison, WI.

If that Toro recycler is aluminum deck with a Suzuki motor, keep that if it's not too much of a wreck! 

Those are great mowers!
Geno

Reply #15   Feb 18, 2005 6:43 pm
Toro does have the alluninum deck and I think it is a susuki motor..but deck is pited and alot of paint flaked off. also missing some hardware or something down by drive system? not good enough to keep I don't think.   thanks again       Gene   p.s. need to ask another question but will start a new thread for it.
Geno

Reply #16   Feb 18, 2005 6:43 pm
Toro does have the alluninum deck and I think it is a susuki motor..but deck is pited and alot of paint flaked off. also missing some hardware or something down by drive system? not good enough to keep I don't think.   thanks again       Gene   p.s. need to ask another question but will start a new thread for it.
Replies: 7 - 16 of 16Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42