Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > MTD Yard Machine 5.5 hp

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
NickM

MTD Yard Machine 5.5 hp
Original Message   Sep 24, 2018 11:11 pm
I picked up a MTD 31A-3CAD762 two stage blower about a year ago. I had it as a 2nd machine that I left by my in-law's house. It started and ran without issue. When I tried it last year after a wet snowfall about 6-8 inches it stalled out when I hit the snow. A family member was supposed to take it and service it but it never got done. I decided to take it back today and looked at the belts and the auger belt looks worn. I have both belts coming in a few days and will change them out promptly. My issue is evaluating the machine without putting it under a load condition. It will run fine, move forward, and turn the auger. Any way to predict how it will work without actually waiting for a snowfall. It runs smoothly but I am willing to change out the carb if needed.
Replies: 1 - 5 of 5View as Outline
niper99

Re: MTD Yard Machine 5.5 hp
Reply #1   Oct 10, 2018 6:22 pm
there a high chance that the ur valve clearance is to tight.. valves need to be removed to grind them down to get proper clearance
NickM

Reply #2   Oct 13, 2018 11:58 am
New belts and new carburetor installed, hoping for the best! Runs smooth!
niper99

Reply #3   Nov 10, 2018 10:20 pm
Did u check valve clearance?
jtclays

Reply #4   Nov 11, 2018 12:06 pm
Agree with niper99 on both his posts.  Especially considering you noted a loose auger belt.  If the belt was the problem the blower would stop intermittently throwing snow when over loaded, not stall engine.
Those Tecumseh 5-5.5hp flatheads will eventually need valve stems ground to give clearance, especially exhaust side. 
NickM

Reply #5   Jan 28, 2019 9:55 pm
Easy winter here in NJ so far. I have not run the unit in snow yet since replacing parts. Valve clearance check may happen in the off season.
Replies: 1 - 5 of 5View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42