Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Difficult to swap-out hi-altitude carb jet in Honda motor?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
epremack

Difficult to swap-out hi-altitude carb jet in Honda motor?
Original Message   Aug 9, 2011 11:27 am
I just bought a pressure washer powered by a Honda GCV190 motor.  I bought it at sea level, but recently brought it to 6,200 feet altitude.  It seems to run well at 6,200 feet, but I wonder if I'm either damaging the engine or running the risk of fouling it?

Honda makes a couple of inexpensive (<$10) substitute carburetor jets for higher altitude.  The manual says to bring the unit to a Honda dealer to substitute the alternate carburetor jet. 

I'm wondering if (1) I should bother with switching the jet and, if "yes," (2) whether it's an easy switch that I could perform without hauling the unit back and forth to the dealer?

I'm mechanically inclined and have good tools, but have never done anything beyond minor services (e.g., changing/gap-ing the plug, changing oil, and changing/cleaning air filters) on small engines.  Does anyone have experience making this switch?

Thanks.  
Replies: 8 - 8 of 8Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
carlb

Re: Difficult to swap-out hi-altitude carb jet in Honda motor?
Reply #8   Sep 28, 2015 7:28 am
Since the EPA forces all engines used in the states to run very lean because of their regulations you are probably fine with the larger jet.  As mentioned above run the engine under a load for a while pull the spark plug and see what it looks like.   There are many pictures on the web of what the plug on a properly jetted engine  should look like.
Replies: 8 - 8 of 8Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42