Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Newly aquired Bolens 824 (1987) snowblower

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
55utilitysedan

Newly aquired Bolens 824 (1987) snowblower
Original Message   Feb 26, 2014 10:42 am
I was gifted this snowblower by a customer who decided to buy something new. I had maintained this unit the last twelve years for him. A good solid machine @ 275 lbs., it just needed follow up care. I replaced the skid shoes, auger belt, auger housing flange bearing, chute hold down clips and shims, now I want to replace the axle shaft assembly flange bearings. These flange bearings is why I am here. After disassembly to pull the axle shaft with its welded on chain sprocket I had to stop. I cannot remove this shaft as the sprocket won't allow the lateral movement as it hits the drive disc and friction disc assembly brackets. I was wondering if I may be missing something here or if I have to remove all the innard crap to access shaft removal for bearing upgrade? Is there a trick to it, am I missing something? I'm in a fog right now, I just thought maybe a helpfull prodding or suggestion would get me motivated again to go back to the cold garage during this new "Polar Vortex" in Ct.        thanks for listening......Peter    
Replies: 1 - 6 of 6View as Outline
jrtrebor

Re: Newly aquired Bolens 824 (1987) snowblower
Reply #1   Feb 26, 2014 11:29 am
To be honest, I am not familiar with your blower model.
But I have worked on others with a welded gear.
Yes, you do have to take out everything that is in the way.
You have to be able to slide the axle and gear all the way to the right side of the housing.
Then there will be enough clearance on the left side for the end of the axle to clear the
housing on the left.
This message was modified Feb 26, 2014 by jrtrebor
55utilitysedan

Reply #2   Feb 26, 2014 1:21 pm
Thank you,     That is the way I saw it but didn't want to go there jrtrebor. At least I have cleaned up the inside of the frame housing so it won't get me too slimey when I jump in. The machine is solid with no rust issues and I took good care of the engine these last 12 years. Oh, I also put a clarance kit on it already as they work great on my other machines.        What a PITA job but I will prevail!!........  
Shryp

Reply #3   Feb 26, 2014 5:31 pm
With the wheels removed can't you simply pry the bearings off from the outside and leave the axle in place? That is how most blowers get their axle bearings or bushings changed.
55utilitysedan

Reply #4   Feb 27, 2014 8:46 am
Shryp,     These flange bearings (nylon) are installed from the inside with spacers to go up against the sprocket on one side and a split pin through the axle on the other to keep them in place.  It is a different set up to me also. I can't believe they used nylon bearings back in '87.  Shryp, now you've got me thinking, maybe I can reverse the bearings, install from outside and pin them there? I will rethink and get back about my outcome.......thanks  
55utilitysedan

Reply #5   Mar 17, 2014 10:37 am
Well I bit the bullet and jumped into axle "bearing" job. What a P.I.T.A. job, I had to do what  jrtrebor stated earlier working only with an parts schematic. Finished it up yesterday, now it looks like no snow in the forecast.......bummer.......but I have the feeling of accomplishment.......with a little help from Abby's friends....

jrtrebor

Reply #6   Mar 17, 2014 8:22 pm
Congratulations.
It is a time consuming and greasy job
replacing bushings on blowers with fixed sprockets.
But now it's good for another 26 years.
Replies: 1 - 6 of 6View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42