Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > I'm starting to miss Tecumseh

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Paul7

I'm starting to miss Tecumseh
Original Message   Jan 29, 2014 12:05 am
Their engines were really easy to start in cold weather.
Replies: 7 - 9 of 9Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
aa335

Re: I'm starting to miss Tecumseh
Reply #7   Feb 1, 2014 1:02 am
Paul7 wrote:
Their engines were really easy to start in cold weather.

I'm not sure I'm experiencing anything unique about the Tecumseh engine in terms of starting.  I don't see it as being easier than the rest.  All my engines, even the Chinese Honda clone on my Toro is easy to start. 

Although I'm developing a liking to the sound of Tecumseh flat head engine.  Just a raw and rauscious sophisticated brap brap.  Annoying sound at 6 oclock in the morning, but sounds just perfect muffled by a deep blanket of snow. 

Now, the Stihl 4 mix engines on my string trimmer, on the other hand, that is a pain in the arse to start even in the summer.  Runs and sounds really good when it does run.  Although I frequently curse German engineering.   :)  Runs great, pain to work on.
borat

Reply #8   Feb 3, 2014 9:57 am
The old Tecumseh engines were easy to start because their carbs weren't designed/built to run so lean and the carb was very simple to adjust.  However, I agree that if proper starting methods are used (prime/choke), modern engines will generally start easy.  Provided the fuel system is properly maintained.  Bad maintenance habits cause more starting grief than anything else. 
Tubby

Reply #9   Feb 9, 2014 11:09 pm
Not missing mine one bit. The new B&S on my simplicity 1524P starts on one pull every time, has more power, and burns less gas.
Replies: 7 - 9 of 9Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42