Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > I'm starting to miss Tecumseh

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Paul7

I'm starting to miss Tecumseh
Original Message   Jan 29, 2014 12:05 am
Their engines were really easy to start in cold weather.
Replies: 6 - 9 of 9Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
aa335

Re: I'm starting to miss Tecumseh
Reply #6   Feb 1, 2014 12:52 am
55utilitysedan wrote:
I agree with you......I've been hoarding them  for a couple of years now and my shelf is full. Like my security blanket......

I only have one Tecumseh engine, with a measly 98cc.  Now I'm really feeling vulnerable.  What if it can't start and the starter rope is broken?   What if I put straight gas it in and toast the engine?  

Wait.  I have a couple of Honda engines.  I have a back up for a backup.  I'm safe.  I think.  I'm over it now.   Nothing to get paranoid about. 

What if it doesn't ever snow again.   Then I'm really doomed.  Who cares if the engine doesn't run when there's no snow?
aa335

Reply #7   Feb 1, 2014 1:02 am
Paul7 wrote:
Their engines were really easy to start in cold weather.

I'm not sure I'm experiencing anything unique about the Tecumseh engine in terms of starting.  I don't see it as being easier than the rest.  All my engines, even the Chinese Honda clone on my Toro is easy to start. 

Although I'm developing a liking to the sound of Tecumseh flat head engine.  Just a raw and rauscious sophisticated brap brap.  Annoying sound at 6 oclock in the morning, but sounds just perfect muffled by a deep blanket of snow. 

Now, the Stihl 4 mix engines on my string trimmer, on the other hand, that is a pain in the arse to start even in the summer.  Runs and sounds really good when it does run.  Although I frequently curse German engineering.   :)  Runs great, pain to work on.
borat

Reply #8   Feb 3, 2014 9:57 am
The old Tecumseh engines were easy to start because their carbs weren't designed/built to run so lean and the carb was very simple to adjust.  However, I agree that if proper starting methods are used (prime/choke), modern engines will generally start easy.  Provided the fuel system is properly maintained.  Bad maintenance habits cause more starting grief than anything else. 
Tubby

Reply #9   Feb 9, 2014 11:09 pm
Not missing mine one bit. The new B&S on my simplicity 1524P starts on one pull every time, has more power, and burns less gas.
Replies: 6 - 9 of 9Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42