Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Easiest Snowblower to Use

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
DBV1

Easiest Snowblower to Use
Original Message   Jan 2, 2014 9:07 am
Hello - I have a two year old Honda 928 and think it is extremely hard to maneuver/use. Are there any other snowblowers that would be easier to use in the 24 to 28 inch range. I would rather shove than use this thing. :)
Replies: 15 - 18 of 18Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
oldcrow

If it ain't broke, try harder

Re: Easiest Snowblower to Use
Reply #15   Jan 20, 2014 1:15 pm
I've got a Toro 421QE, and would highly recommend that unit - or any comparable performer. PROVIDING that a single-stage will get the job done for you. Wet, deep snowfalls and EOD glaciers will choke the best SS snowblowers. But for moderate conditions, you just can't beat a quality single-stage. Lighweight and a breeze to maneuver, not to mention small footprint and easy to transport. Quick-Chute on the Toro is a godsend - you'll never want to go back to cranks or handles. A pleasure to operate, as long as you don't have too much area to cover. It will push 10" of fluffy stuff all day. My first choice when conditions warrant.

On the other hand...

When I moved to northern Michigan, I was asking too much from the trusty Toro. It got the job done, but it ate up paddle rubber (gravel drive) and was ineffective on the insane plow EOD. This year I added an Ariens 921035 28" 2-stage to my arsenal. Have had ample opportunity to try it out, am quite satisfied with it's performance. For the price, it's pretty hard to beat. The auto-turn feature works great, saves a lot of grunting on tight turns without extra grip controls. Starts easy and runs smooth. A bit underpowered, IMHO, but I haven't bogged the engine down yet. Chews through everything in front of it, even hard, icy EOM. No, it's not as comfortable to operate as the Toro, but even with my twisted back I can stand a 1-hour session without too much pain. That's been rare, though - the Ariens gets the job done in about half as much time as a SS, so I'm normally done in 1/2 hour or less. For light snowfalls, I still rely on the Toro SS.

It's always a tradeoff between the heavy hitters, and the sexy little paddle blowers. 2-stage units are more difficult to operate by design, but there are some big differences between brands and models. Look for a balance of [relatively] light weight and resepectible horsepower. Tire size, traction controls, and front-to-rear weight distribution all figure in for comfort. Don't forget the handlebar grips, either -  some models have you holding the grips at unnatural angles with can really add to fatique and hamper maneuverability. Ideally, get one of each if that's practical. But if you rarely deal with megastorms or snowfall over 10", go with a quality single-stage.
aa335

Reply #16   Jan 25, 2014 3:03 am
The easiest snowblower to use is the equipment that is evenly matched to the severity of the snowstorm.

2 inches and less - shovel or snow pusher
2 to 8 inches - single stage snowblower
8 + inches - 2 stage snowblower with a big engine.

slush - Toro S620 or Honda HS621
ice - ice chipper
freezing rain - salt
MichelePerez

Reply #17   Dec 29, 2017 10:46 pm
I think that for ease of use you should use a machine that matches the amount of snow. How is your weather? If it is less then you should use a machine with a small capacity. A big machine with a small amount of snow will make things difficult. Hope you find the right snowblower.
This message was modified Dec 30, 2017 by a moderator
BarryWils0n

Reply #18   Aug 9, 2018 2:54 am
I have an Ariens snowblower that has an electric start. It does a good job. No real problem turning it around, it has forward and reverse.
Replies: 15 - 18 of 18Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42