Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Ariens 924124 electric start ground pin broke off

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
BALR1415

Ariens 924124 electric start ground pin broke off
Original Message   Dec 15, 2013 6:13 pm
When I removed the extension cord from the starter plug on my 2004 9hp Ariens 924124 today the ground pin broke off and was still in the cord socket. After I finished what I needed to I removed the broken pin from the extension cord and plugged the cord back into the starter socket. It started fine.
Looking at the parts book it appears that the starter socket is part of the whole wiring harness. This is obviously not a good time to do what looks like a major job. Also the part seems to be about $50.
I think that the ground pin is to prevent shocks by connecting to the ground from the outlet. If I am careful is there any reason that this repair can't wait until after snow season?
Replies: 2 - 11 of 11Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
hirschallan

If it aint broke don't fix it !!

Re: Ariens 924124 electric start ground pin broke off
Reply #2   Dec 16, 2013 1:36 am
Let it go. It's over kill anyhow. If it works once it'll always work.

Shryp

Reply #3   Dec 16, 2013 4:19 am
It is common for people to cut the ground pins off of extension cords and various tools and appliances to get the cords to fit the old style 2 prong outlets. It shouldn't be necessary, but might be nice to have in the event that something does short out. You could probably make your own or somehow solder the old one back in if you can get that plug apart. Most hardware stores sell new extension cord ends for like $3 as another source of a new pin if you don't mind doing a little but of work to make it work and save a bit of cash.
jrtrebor

Reply #4   Dec 16, 2013 8:28 am
I wouldn't be concerned about it.
If you did ever develop a short in the starter.
You could only get a shock if you where touching the starter housing
at the same time you were pressing the starter button.
You'd also have to be grounded.
Which wouldn't be possible unless you were barefooted standing on a concrete floor.

trouts2

Reply #5   Dec 16, 2013 8:48 am

BALR1415, “Also the part seems to be about $50.”

Starters with electric start are usually sold as an assembly.  I never found a source for the cable and plug.   Where did you find a plug for $50?

For the fix it might be more trouble than it’s worth besides probably half or more of the electric start machines out there never came with a ground plug.  Just don’t stand in a pool or water and have your hand on the engine when plugged in.

Many non working starters have a problem in the plug and the starter is fine.  Either the line leads separate from the contacts on the micro switch inside or the micro switch goes.  Both are probably due to prolonged presses of the start button and heat up the wires, connectors or micro switch.   

The hardest part of doing a fix is opening up the plug box without breaking it.  You can working them apart with an exacto knife and prying but often they’ll break.  That’s not a problem for me as I’ve got a bunch around but for you it would screw up your box making it no longer water tight or cause the electric tangs to become loose, enough that you can’t plug in anymore.

Getting a box to snap back together is just about impossible.  You can put them together, glue the seam then wrap it all around with electrical tape. 

As is there is an unconnected ground wire inside the starter box.  It could touch the hot AC wire and cause a short blowing the house fuze…., not a big deal and the chances of that are fairly slim.  The hot wire is shielded and the only exposed part is at the connector on the micro switch so very slim possibility the ground wire will ever touch it.  Probably best to just use it as it.

BALR1415

Reply #6   Dec 16, 2013 8:38 pm
Thank you all for the excellent advise.
I will use it as is this season and review it in the Spring.
For Trouts2 - from what I can see the starter plug socket is part of the entire wiring harness part #000277600 from the 924124 parts book. A very quick google showed prices in the upper 40's. I for any reason I need other parts in the spring I may buy the wiring harness also.
But for now my plan is to leave it as is, and have my wife start it every time ;-)
friiy

Reply #7   Dec 28, 2013 11:38 pm
Best thing i ever saw was someone took that 120 volt switch off and put a electrical box and light switch assy (house wall light switch) on with a 2 foot pigtail plug. It never failed
This message was modified Dec 28, 2013 by friiy
Shryp

Reply #8   Dec 29, 2013 7:24 am
friiy wrote:
Best thing i ever saw was someone took that 120 volt switch off and put a electrical box and light switch assy (house wall light switch) on with a 2 foot pigtail plug. It never failed

I would think a regular household light switch would not be rated for the amps the starter could draw...
carlb

Reply #9   Dec 29, 2013 9:26 am
depending on how old your house is and where you plug in your extension cord you may have a GFCI outlet which will protect you from any shock hazard.  Check to see if you house has GFCI outlets here in NJ all external outlets and outlets within 6 feet of a water source( sink, tub etc) are required to be GFCI protected.
friiy

Reply #10   Dec 29, 2013 1:38 pm
the house light switch assemblys are rated at diffrent amps,   a normal house vacuum runs at 12 amps,  most house outlets are rated for 15 amps , or you can get a 20 amp if need and your house wiring can handle...  but your snow thrower stater is not 20 and less than 15,   just got to but the right parts rated for the amps of the starter..  it should say on it somewhere on the unit..
niper99

Reply #11   Dec 30, 2013 10:42 pm
I see this from time to time,, personally I wouldn't be to worried about it...

the ground tab is only used if there's a short to ground in the starter or switch.. so for example if u were starting the blower and touching metal frame or any metal part of the snow blower and there was a short to ground then Yes u will get a shocked!!!.. but in my experience 20 years I never heard of anyone getting a shock..
Replies: 2 - 11 of 11Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42