Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > rpm governer settings tecumseh 10 hp

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
br2an

rpm governer settings tecumseh 10 hp
Original Message   Feb 8, 2005 9:46 pm
Hi

I was wondering how or where I could look up the correct engine speed for the governer on a Tecumseh 10 hp snow blower engine.  It is an older Lawnboy ST1032 model (1980's).  I bought it second hand  a number of years ago and it has always had a tendency to rev higher than other snowblower engines that I see.  It really screams like a devil when opened out (but it is still in one piece after over 15 years with me). 

Thanks

Brian

Replies: 9 - 18 of 18Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Re: rpm governer settings tecumseh 10 hp
Reply #9   Feb 10, 2005 11:20 am
Hi Ben,

Great posts and I really appreciate the information    I'm also glad that Fred posted the link to the Tulsa Engine Warehouse.  At least I was able to get the power curve charts I was looking for on the L-head engines.  I've seen that chart on other sites, but they were not enlargable and even trying to enhance them in Photoshop, did no good.  Thanks Fred 

Ben, unfortunately the OHV engines on that site don't have these charts listed for them.  So I can't compare them to the L-heads.  The one thing the charts did show is that all engines seem to have their horse power rated at a maximum engine speed of 3,600 RPM.  We don't run them that fast, nor do they come from the factory set that high, so what good is it? If you were to run them at the max RPM, you have a huge torque drop-off way before that RPM, especially on a 10 HP engine. 

I was under the impression when I throttle my engine up to operating RPM, and in my case, I should have 8 HP working for me blowing snow.  Well, not the case at all since my machine was set at the factory to run at 3,300 RPM.  A dirty little secret in the OPE industry, just to name one thing.  Then add the EPA carburetors into the mix, which I know for a fact rob much power, and what is left?  Somehow there is a compromise between the engine RPM and torque.  Mine runs great at 3,400, which reduces the maximum amount of peak torque from 12.9 to 12.3 ft. lbs according to the chart.

It appears that if I wanted to run my engine, producing the most torque, I'd have to set the max speed down to 2,900 RPM's which would yield 12.9 FT. LBS. of torque.  At 2,900 RPM's, my snowblower may be fine blowing 4" or 5" of snow, but it would die if used in high amounts or wet snow. 

As for a 10 HP L-head, the peak torque falls off after the engines passes 2,500 RPM's.  As for my new carb, I really have no idea what it actually did as far as adding power, I only know it runs fantastic, so I guess that's all that matters.  I'd still love to see the HP and torque curves for an equivalent OHV engine.  I am very curious if they have such a large HP and torque spread as the L-heads. 

The bottom line here, the reason for me starting all this was to determine is it really worth spending sometimes hundreds of dollars more for that extra couple of horse power that the engine sticker says.  At this point, I'm not impressed at all.

Ben, Fred and the rest, thanks for sharing your knowledge.  Anything else you think of, please share it  

This message was modified Feb 10, 2005 by Richie

Richie
Ben07

The more you know about something, the more you find there is to know.

Reply #10   Feb 10, 2005 11:32 am
Marshall wrote:

Although more RPM can gain you more HP that doesn't  mean you also gain more torque. . . We definately benefit from more torque but to believe that torque is what it's all about, is not really correct.

I agree with the first part of your statement as that is exactly what I said.

QUOTE "That is why when you look at charts of horsepower curves and torque curves you see almost all the torque power dives at higher rpm's  and most HP curves keep climbing." 

But I disagree with this part of your statement when you are using a machine such as a snowblower that can encounter a heavy load

".We definately benefit from more torque but to believe that torque is what it's all about, is not really correct."

Because if you load the machine down and you hit the point where it drops the RPM's

To a  lower range, you will need the torque to keep it running.  That's when it become a situation when it is all about torque   Look at the chart you posted  . Drop the rpm you went from 10 horsepower to 6  ,  then compare the torque curve  it isn't really much of a curve it is more of a PLATEAU.  real steady and strong from 2000 RPM  all the way up to 2800  RPM..  this is a snowblower we are talking about. ...It is accumulating and compacting weight bearing snow at the auger then has to handle the same weight load  twice when it hits the impeller and it throws it like 50 feet.  Very different requirements on this machine rather than something like a lawnmower. 

Ben07 

Because if you load the machine down and you hit the point where it drops the RPM's

To a  lower range, you will need the torque to keep it running.  That's when it become a situation when it is all about torque   Look at the chart you posted  . Drop the rpm you went from 10 horsepower to 6  ,  then compare the torque curve  it isn't really much of a curve it is more of a PLATEAU.  real steady and strong from 2000 RPM  all the way up to 2800  RPM..  this is a snowblower we are talking about. ...It is accumulating and compacting weight bearing snow at the auger then has to handle the same weight load  twice when it hits the impeller and it throws it like 50 feet.  Very different requirements on this machine rather than something like a lawnmower. 

Ben07 

This message was modified Feb 10, 2005 by Ben07

Ariens 8524LE, Toro CCR2000, Jacobsen S-B S-blowers, Generac 10hp Gen-convt. to N.G., 5 L-boys(D's F's &Dura( 74,77,80,88,00), Antiq. 1960 AYP 20 in. mag w 3.5 Tech mower. Ryan/Ryobi gas Trim. AYP 205 gas blwr. Mac c-saw,Toro E-blwr, 2 Weed-E e. stg. trims. outboards, boats, util trail, 2 Jeeps 
Ben07

Reply #11   Feb 10, 2005 11:59 am
Richie  that's really OK and better that your peak torque is lower than your operating rpm..  (It's better than being there at a higher rpm that you can never get at with a machine with a governor set-up.   It will be there when you need it,  when you are pushing it to the limit  and you put the machines rpm down  it will hold itself up to the task,  an don forget when you do that the governor senses the rpm drop and starts  flooring the accelerator so you are really leaning into the job.   and sometime people can't tell that the governor assist is opening the carb  till they get done with the say 20 car driveway  and their gas tank is empty.  and on lesser snows they found that they used half a tank.  That's when IT IS ALL ABOUT TORQUE.   A rev type engine will just have to slow down in that situation, yous  although under load will still  maintain throwing the snow at a much faster ground speed.    (and in that situation IIMOO that you will do the same overall job of a comparable engine that is built more as a horsepower engine that can sacrafice torque ,faster use less gas and creat significantly lower emissions)

Ben07

Ariens 8524LE, Toro CCR2000, Jacobsen S-B S-blowers, Generac 10hp Gen-convt. to N.G., 5 L-boys(D's F's &Dura( 74,77,80,88,00), Antiq. 1960 AYP 20 in. mag w 3.5 Tech mower. Ryan/Ryobi gas Trim. AYP 205 gas blwr. Mac c-saw,Toro E-blwr, 2 Weed-E e. stg. trims. outboards, boats, util trail, 2 Jeeps 
Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Reply #12   Feb 10, 2005 12:15 pm
Ben,

That's why recently I've been concerning myself less with the horse power, rather with engine torque.  The engine is never run to achieve the rated HP anyway, and that's a fact.  At least when it comes to Briggs or Tecumseh engines, the HP/torque curve charts prove that.  I also feel you are exactly correct about fuel consumption.  Since I purchased this Toro, I've been blow snow in 1st gear, even when we only had 3" of the white stuff.  However, when New York had that recent dumping of snow, the engine used much more fuel.  It wasn't that it covered more ground, it had to remove more tons of snow.  No question about the governor doing its job. 

I should have studied harder in Physics class, I would have understood these engine grievances much easier.  Then again, if the engine specifications were more readily available, it would have answered many questions before they needed to be asked.  Thanks

Richie
Ben07

Reply #13   Feb 10, 2005 12:24 pm
Richie wrote:
Ben,

That's why recently I've been concerning myself less with the horse power, rather with engine torque.  The engine is never run to achieve the rated HP anyway, and that's a fact.  At least when it comes to Briggs or Tecumseh engines, the HP/torque curve charts prove that.  

Good way to summarize it all.  In OPE it is more about torque.  

Ben07 

jubol

Reply #14   Feb 10, 2005 12:28 pm
 Richie,

Go to :"Small Engine Warehouse" site

You can get an 11 to  13 Briggs OHV for between $350.00 and $450.00.

Much better selection on Snow Engines this fall though.

With a 13 Hp OHV, even with EPA controls,

it  ought to produce at least 10 old fashioned HP!

Sure would make you blower a hot rod!!

Fred     

This message was modified Feb 10, 2005 by jubol

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Reply #15   Feb 10, 2005 12:42 pm
Hi Fred,
Believe me, if this engine suffers a catastrophic failure in the future, you can bet I'm going to repower this snowblower with a great engine to compliment all the other great features it has.  At least the best that I'd be able to fit on it without requiring a modification to the sheet metal or polypropylene shrouds.  It would really be something that would not be rated more than what the Tecumseh 11 HP OHV engine can produce, since that is the largest engine you can get on this thing.  I assume that the friction disc and other components are rated to handle up to a certain amount of power, but I'd hate going beyond that, which would be very easy to do. 
This message was modified Feb 10, 2005 by Richie

Richie
Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #16   Feb 10, 2005 2:14 pm
Ben ben ben, it's not all about torque, regardless how you word it or how many times you type it.

First of all, it can't be. Without HP in these engines, you get no torque.

Second, every OPE small engine that I know of has a higher amount of torque on larger HP engines.

Third, saying it is all about torque, means exactly that......screw HP, torque is all we need. Not true.

Forth, I am fully aware of what an engine does when it drops RPM's under heavy load, snow is not the only thing that causes that to happen on small engines.

Fifth, I said torque was very important, it's just not all of the equation by any stretch of the imagination.

And, here's an exaggerated example to show what I mean.......Let's say you had a 25 HP V-twin OHV engine on your blower with a relatively low amount of torque, the chances of it bogging down while blowing your driveway are slim to none.

On the reverse side of this.......if you have a 4 HP engine with a relatively high amount of torque you're going to be into that torque all the time and very well may stall out because you don't have enough HP. You need a higher HP engine!

Yes, I agree torque is very important but it's just not all about torque, it both! 
Ben07

Reply #17   Feb 10, 2005 6:26 pm
Marshall wrote:
 Without HP in these engines, you get no torque.

actually the opposite is true
Horse power is the result of torque.  

Torque is a force

Horsepower is a measurtment of torque doing work over an amount of time.

The opposite is true of your quote.  

Without torque you cannot develope horsepower.

Simple example lets take internal combustion engines out of this.

Lets use an electric motor, why  because an electric motor can produce force without a running start.

Lets say you got a 100 pound object you also have an electric motor that produces and can be measured at 75 pounds of force.   It cannot lift the weight.  It has force but cannot produce any horsepower cause it cannot move it.

"It is torque that moves your car but  it is horsepower that sells it."

"It is TORQUE that makes the world go round."

Ben   

Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #18   Feb 10, 2005 6:40 pm
I'm not sure I'm smart enough to know what all that means but I know this guy would give his right one for another 1000 of those horsepower things.

Replies: 9 - 18 of 18Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42