Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > rpm governer settings tecumseh 10 hp

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
br2an

rpm governer settings tecumseh 10 hp
Original Message   Feb 8, 2005 9:46 pm
Hi

I was wondering how or where I could look up the correct engine speed for the governer on a Tecumseh 10 hp snow blower engine.  It is an older Lawnboy ST1032 model (1980's).  I bought it second hand  a number of years ago and it has always had a tendency to rev higher than other snowblower engines that I see.  It really screams like a devil when opened out (but it is still in one piece after over 15 years with me). 

Thanks

Brian

Replies: 1 - 10 of 18NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Re: rpm governer settings tecumseh 10 hp
Reply #1   Feb 8, 2005 10:52 pm
Brian,

The Snowking engines Tecumseh uses all seem to be rated at the same operating RPM which is 3,250-3,600 RPM's.   3,600 seems to be the RPM that the engine produces maximum horse power.  At this point, I myself have started to look more towards torque rather than HP.  Governor settings seems to be easy to find out, but actual graphs showing the power curves for TEC engines don't seem to exist, at least I've had no luck trying to find them.  At least with Briggs engines, that information is fairly easy to locate.  Makes me wonder if Tecumseh is hiding something, in fact, information like this shouldn't be hidden so deeply, which raises big red flags to me.  I've even heard rumors now that the L-head engines actually produce more torque at a lower RPM than there supposedly more efficient OHV counterparts.   

Richie
Goldrush

The liberty of expressions sometimes are ridiculed!

Reply #2   Feb 9, 2005 12:46 pm

GOVERNOR ADJUSTMENT

GOVERNOR ADJUSTMENT

With the engine stopped, loosen the screw holding the

governor clamp on the governor lever. Rotate the clamp

in a direction that will force the throttle shaft open and

allow the governor follower arm to rest on the governor

spool. Push the governor lever connected to the throttle

to the wide open throttle position. Hold the lever and

clamp in this position while tightening the screw

GOVERNOR ADJUSTMENT PROCEDURE

FOR SHORT BLOCK INSTALLATIONS

GOVERNOR ADJUSTMENT PROCEDURE

FOR SHORT BLOCK INSTALLATIONS

Short block installation on 3-5 h.p. vertical shaft engines

built prior to 1977 may require the governor clamp

(tinnerman style) to be repositioned to work properly. The

clamp must be removed from the governor rod and turned

to the same position as the original engine. Hook the

solid link and spring to the governor lever and position

the clamp on the governor rod. Follow the above governor

adjustment procedure to complete the short block

governor set-up. Units built after 1977 use the normal

governor set up procedure.

Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #3   Feb 9, 2005 1:06 pm
Goldrush, great info very helpful! 
br2an

Reply #4   Feb 9, 2005 3:36 pm
Richie,

Thanks for the engine speeds.  I now have to borrow a tach and see if mine is in that range.  Your thoughts on torque vrs horsepower sound right for this type of application.  As I understand it, hp is necessary for acceleration, or the ability to increase speed.  Torque measures the ability of an engine to maintain a set speed given an increasing load.  That is why diesel engines (high torque - low hp) can haul heavy loads (up hill) with out losing much speed but are very slow in accelerating to a given speed.  The snowblower engines are also meant to run at a fairly constant speed regardless of the load  placed upon it.  (At least that's my understanding of it all.)

Goldrush,

I'll have to pull the shield off to see but I seem to remember the governer adjustment mechanism is just a spring-loaded phillips screw.  I think I can raise the rpm by turning it in (CW) and lower it by turning it out (CCW).  I now need a tachometer to measure the rpms.  Do you have any pics/diagrams for your method?

Thanks again, guys.

Brian

Ben07

The more you know about something, the more you find there is to know.

Reply #5   Feb 9, 2005 4:05 pm
Richie wrote:
Brian,

I've even heard rumors now that the L-head engines actually produce more torque at a lower RPM than there supposedly more efficient OHV counterparts.   

Quite possibly true. Why OHV in these size engines, You know It is primarily an EPA issue. They got to justify their existance.    Don't believe anything the EPA slams down your throat.  They just want controll.  (figures don lie liar's figure) Just like the first emissino  engines .. run them at over 200 degrees, they push it by saying it is more efficient.  Not so .. the amount of waste that comes out the exhause was a lil less cause the fire was hotter.  but the engines ran more like a piece of sh@-  compared to before.  Actually with only that changed they got less milage,  so for the same amount miles you travelled you created more waste cause you had less horsepower and used more overall gas. But they didn't tell it to you that way.  How did they hide it?  the test was based at idle and maybe a slight elevated rpm, with the engine not under load.   But they did get controll,  didn't they.  Not being political here just stating a fact.  now the neighboorhood  garages go out of business cause they can't fix modern cars as the technical stuff at the engines is proprietorial.  Take a 400 plus HP street rod out on a cool night with a 160 thermostat and see if it don feel like it is 10 percent faster than  on a hot 90 degree day.

If you want to confirm your suspicion on the L-Head vs the OHV engine , on which one has more torque.  You may be able to use this general rule. (the key word being here "May" as there is a lot of different things that can be done to an engine that could make a general rule look like if is not true, but understanding the general principal is important as a starting point)The longer the stroke the more torque.  So if the engines are in the same general category  of same amount of cylinders and same approx. amount of displacement then you can use the rule. (I believe the two engines you were referring to were in this category, same amount of displacement however different length stroke etc.) Two general types of engines to oversimplfy..  Truck type engines and car engines.  Truck engines develope  their power by torque  ,  car engines develope their power by higher rev's  which actually increases horsepower.  Older automotive type references were Big block (torquer)and small block(rever.)

(Big block small block did not actually mean the size of the engine casting)  (in most cases it did go hand in hand, but sometimes it did not, like pontiac  they used the same size casting for  both big and smallblock)

Why does a longer stroke give you more torque.  Imagine a cutaway view of a single cylinder engine from the front.  When the piston is halfway down on the power stroke and you see the conn rod out at a 45 degree angle and thejournal of the crankshaft out at an opposite 45 degree angle going back to the center of the main bearings of the overall crankshaft.  Imagine it as a LEVER  .  the longer the lever the more force put back to center.  Itis  like adding a pipe to your  ratchet whenct to get more power when taking a big bolt off.  so a 3.5 inch stroke is longer than say a 3 inch so more leverage.  Does it get offset by the longer con-rod.  no it actually gives you even more, cause it creates compound action, just like you get in things like pruning shears and compound lopers etc.   Torque is best looked at as the amount of force it takes to stop a shaft.  Horse power is best looked at by how much work it will do  with a running start.  In simple truck engines  needd the torque for their heavy loads.  so do snowblowers,  More than lets say lawnmowers. 

So the industry to comply with the epa  could be substituting an OHV engine trying to do the job a little more with horsepower rather than torque.  The offset to you is you have more of a chance of stalling it out if you plow fast into a high amount of snow  the OHV with less torque will still work.  sorta of.  (also pls keep in mind here they can mix and match all kind of bores and strokes and get whatever type of horsepower figures they want, by changing the actual rpm of the test.((basing their advertized HP at an rpm they pick to suite their needs )  the only way you can sort of tell is to have the full graph of both  torque and horses  at the whole range of reasonable operating RPM. in these engines probably from 1000rpm up to say 4500 rpm.  All they care about is reducing their emissions. 

Does an L_ head produce more torque than anOHV (which is synomous with the combustion chamber being more of a hemisphericle one.Thus directing the explosion uniformally toward the center of the piston and not have to deal with the loss of the extra chamber in the L with valves being further away etc.)  the shape of the combustion chamber is not what increases the torque. It is primarily other mechanical charistics of the engine. However burning the fuel mixture a tad bit more efficiently has a tendancy to create more rpm speed and  more rpm is more conducive to create horsepower.  That is why when you look ah charts of horsepower curves and torqe curves you see almost all the torque power dives at higher rpm's  and most HP curves keep climbing.  (  just general rules here, lot of other things come into play, suvh as single cyl or multi cyl,  or   v type as opposed to in-line engines , and most important in creating revs is firing order, no need to mention that here in single cyl engine) It is all confusing a little but the epa wants controll and they will base it on exhaust emissions.  The manufacturer and the consumer will have to live with the rest.  In other words you will pay for it and they will have controll.  Why can't you find the figures or charts.  It is further proofe it is a controll issue only,  every time this happens in an industry this happens and they usually do a change in the rating formulas,  the way they did it in the auto industry is by changing the hp function  going from old fashioned Brake HP  to sae Hp  to sae net HP  YADAYAD 

What is better the L-head or the OHV.  In My own opinion.  I don't really want an OHV engine in any outdoor power equipment  under 20 horsepower.  Under 20 I prefer the L_head.  less parts, cheaper,  They both have their place.   Nothing wrong with an L-head.  OHV  engines I think are over praised in small engine outdoor power equipment  .

This message was modified Feb 10, 2005 by Ben07

Ariens 8524LE, Toro CCR2000, Jacobsen S-B S-blowers, Generac 10hp Gen-convt. to N.G., 5 L-boys(D's F's &Dura( 74,77,80,88,00), Antiq. 1960 AYP 20 in. mag w 3.5 Tech mower. Ryan/Ryobi gas Trim. AYP 205 gas blwr. Mac c-saw,Toro E-blwr, 2 Weed-E e. stg. trims. outboards, boats, util trail, 2 Jeeps 
Ben07

Reply #6   Feb 10, 2005 12:36 am
Hey Richie  when I was reading the other techumpseh hp thread, I noticed the discussion on the jetting issue being the only difference, and the other poster saying you can not get three hp on that size engine.  Both of you can be completely right.  Here's how when he said you cannot get that type of increase in this size motor he is 100 percent correct, assuming  you are running the motor at it's optimum horsepower in the firstplace.  And I think that was the example he was referring to .  racing engines on a dyno where they were trying to get more with jet adjustments  etc.  In that area it is hard to get more horsepower.  However if you have a certain power motor like thatand somebody did a mod to the carb you can decrease horsepower with no problem and as much as you want.  So if you start with a 400 horse engine , throw a carb on that reduces it to 200 then you have a lot of potentialto do high percentage increases in it like I opened up the jets and got 50 more HP..  so what I am saying is the Tech engineers may have been telling you the truth when you were quizzing them on a 8 and a 9 hp engine.  Why  Because it is really a potential 13 hp engine  , you are not starting with an 8 and working your way up. 

Marketing B S  AWays to get more money out of your pocket for doing nothing,  And also big time to help  the EPA  gain controll and justify their existance 

Ben07 

Ariens 8524LE, Toro CCR2000, Jacobsen S-B S-blowers, Generac 10hp Gen-convt. to N.G., 5 L-boys(D's F's &Dura( 74,77,80,88,00), Antiq. 1960 AYP 20 in. mag w 3.5 Tech mower. Ryan/Ryobi gas Trim. AYP 205 gas blwr. Mac c-saw,Toro E-blwr, 2 Weed-E e. stg. trims. outboards, boats, util trail, 2 Jeeps 
jubol

Reply #7   Feb 10, 2005 5:29 am
   Guys,

If you want a chart on the Torque and HP on a HMSK100 snow King engine.

Go to:  "Tulsa Engine warehouse", they have it on that engine.

Hope this helps!!

Fred  

This message was modified Feb 10, 2005 by jubol

Husqvarna STE927(11.5HP) snowblower,  MTD Pro Series 18/42 Lawnmower, MTD 6.5 HP  Self Prop Lawn Mower,  Weedeater 1500 Blower, Web Gensis  2000 
Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Reply #8   Feb 10, 2005 9:37 am
I'll take OHV everytime over an L-Head, where available. My Kohlers have all kinds of torque and are extremely effecient engines. They seldom even lug but when they do they will lug through anything I have found. I have never had a stall. The best engines I know of are Honda's GX OHV, from 2.5HP to 24HP. They are used commercially and used in anything from pumps to generators and from snowblowers to garden tractors.

Although more RPM can gain you more HP that doesn't  mean you also gain more torque. Matter of fact, if you look at the chart it would suggest that by backing off the throttle to 2600 RPM's would put your max torque at the top of your operating range and you would get more benefit in the use of your OPE if, it was all about torque. Well, we know that's not right because we know our engines and equipment perform better at top engine speeds. So, logically that would mean that more HP is advantagous in the use of our equipment. We definately benefit from more torque but to believe that torque is what it's all about, is not really correct.

Honda GX340

This message was modified Feb 10, 2005 by Marshall
Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Reply #9   Feb 10, 2005 11:20 am
Hi Ben,

Great posts and I really appreciate the information    I'm also glad that Fred posted the link to the Tulsa Engine Warehouse.  At least I was able to get the power curve charts I was looking for on the L-head engines.  I've seen that chart on other sites, but they were not enlargable and even trying to enhance them in Photoshop, did no good.  Thanks Fred 

Ben, unfortunately the OHV engines on that site don't have these charts listed for them.  So I can't compare them to the L-heads.  The one thing the charts did show is that all engines seem to have their horse power rated at a maximum engine speed of 3,600 RPM.  We don't run them that fast, nor do they come from the factory set that high, so what good is it? If you were to run them at the max RPM, you have a huge torque drop-off way before that RPM, especially on a 10 HP engine. 

I was under the impression when I throttle my engine up to operating RPM, and in my case, I should have 8 HP working for me blowing snow.  Well, not the case at all since my machine was set at the factory to run at 3,300 RPM.  A dirty little secret in the OPE industry, just to name one thing.  Then add the EPA carburetors into the mix, which I know for a fact rob much power, and what is left?  Somehow there is a compromise between the engine RPM and torque.  Mine runs great at 3,400, which reduces the maximum amount of peak torque from 12.9 to 12.3 ft. lbs according to the chart.

It appears that if I wanted to run my engine, producing the most torque, I'd have to set the max speed down to 2,900 RPM's which would yield 12.9 FT. LBS. of torque.  At 2,900 RPM's, my snowblower may be fine blowing 4" or 5" of snow, but it would die if used in high amounts or wet snow. 

As for a 10 HP L-head, the peak torque falls off after the engines passes 2,500 RPM's.  As for my new carb, I really have no idea what it actually did as far as adding power, I only know it runs fantastic, so I guess that's all that matters.  I'd still love to see the HP and torque curves for an equivalent OHV engine.  I am very curious if they have such a large HP and torque spread as the L-heads. 

The bottom line here, the reason for me starting all this was to determine is it really worth spending sometimes hundreds of dollars more for that extra couple of horse power that the engine sticker says.  At this point, I'm not impressed at all.

Ben, Fred and the rest, thanks for sharing your knowledge.  Anything else you think of, please share it  

This message was modified Feb 10, 2005 by Richie

Richie
Ben07

Reply #10   Feb 10, 2005 11:32 am
Marshall wrote:

Although more RPM can gain you more HP that doesn't  mean you also gain more torque. . . We definately benefit from more torque but to believe that torque is what it's all about, is not really correct.

I agree with the first part of your statement as that is exactly what I said.

QUOTE "That is why when you look at charts of horsepower curves and torque curves you see almost all the torque power dives at higher rpm's  and most HP curves keep climbing." 

But I disagree with this part of your statement when you are using a machine such as a snowblower that can encounter a heavy load

".We definately benefit from more torque but to believe that torque is what it's all about, is not really correct."

Because if you load the machine down and you hit the point where it drops the RPM's

To a  lower range, you will need the torque to keep it running.  That's when it become a situation when it is all about torque   Look at the chart you posted  . Drop the rpm you went from 10 horsepower to 6  ,  then compare the torque curve  it isn't really much of a curve it is more of a PLATEAU.  real steady and strong from 2000 RPM  all the way up to 2800  RPM..  this is a snowblower we are talking about. ...It is accumulating and compacting weight bearing snow at the auger then has to handle the same weight load  twice when it hits the impeller and it throws it like 50 feet.  Very different requirements on this machine rather than something like a lawnmower. 

Ben07 

Because if you load the machine down and you hit the point where it drops the RPM's

To a  lower range, you will need the torque to keep it running.  That's when it become a situation when it is all about torque   Look at the chart you posted  . Drop the rpm you went from 10 horsepower to 6  ,  then compare the torque curve  it isn't really much of a curve it is more of a PLATEAU.  real steady and strong from 2000 RPM  all the way up to 2800  RPM..  this is a snowblower we are talking about. ...It is accumulating and compacting weight bearing snow at the auger then has to handle the same weight load  twice when it hits the impeller and it throws it like 50 feet.  Very different requirements on this machine rather than something like a lawnmower. 

Ben07 

Replies: 1 - 10 of 18NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42