Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > What's a Used Toro 421QZE Worth?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
oldcrow

If it ain't broke, try harder

What's a Used Toro 421QZE Worth?
Original Message   Oct 27, 2013 1:14 pm
Greetings,

Been awhile since I dropped by, been plenty busy moving to a new state. More fun than you can imagine - NOT.

Anyway, I have to let go of my Toro single-stage, which has served me more than well. I'm in 2-stage country now. Been trying to determine a fair price to ask for this little machine, but this model is few and far between in the want ads and used listings. I guess that speaks well for customer satisfaction, but it leaves me clueless as to how much to ask. Could anyone give me some ballparks to start off with?

Here's the basic description:
2008 vintage, used 4 winters
Tecumseh Snow-King 5.5HP 4-Stroke
Electric + Recoil
Shroud in excellent cond, no rust to speak of, a few minor scratches on the bucket
Everything in working order, fires up on 2nd pull, engine runs like new (for what that's worth)
Paddles worn, but still functional - Toro replacement paddle kit is included
Used lightly and maintained seasonally
No parts replaced to date, other than spark plugs and oil

I realize I'm asking for a leap of faith here, but what's your best guess assuming the description is accurate? This forum has been a big help in the past, looking forward to hearing your qualified 2-cents. Thanks.
Replies: 1 - 7 of 7View as Outline
aa335

Re: What's a Used Toro 421QZE Worth?
Reply #1   Oct 28, 2013 1:09 am
You have the model 421QE, which is one of the first models after the discontinued CCR 2450/3650.  The 421QE debut as a new model fully loaded with everything, and there weren't other less expensive configurations.

I haven't had a chance to use one of these 421QE with Tecumseh L head engine.  They were side valve.  The newer ones, 421Q and current 621's are all OHV of Chinese origin.  So your Tecumseh powered snowblower may be more desirable since Tecumseh went out business and these are pretty rare.  The same snowblower in a Lawnboy green shell is even more rare, perhaps more desirable for a collector.  For a used Toro 421QE, I would probably pay $350 for one in good condition.  Snowblower sales in the Midwest has been kinda soft the last two years.  Not sure how much snow we will get this winter.

I would hold on to your single stage Toro until you are sure you won't need it.  You will get better price when it's snowing than now or early winter.
This message was modified Oct 28, 2013 by aa335
oldcrow

Reply #2   Oct 28, 2013 11:03 am
Thanks for that valuable info. You speak like a true guru. Guess that just comes with experience.

I'm not crazy about the Tecumseh engine myself. Compared to Briggs/Robin/Kohler/Honda it just seems crude. But it's a plucky little bone-shaker, and it's been VERY reliable. I'd gladly hang onto this paddlewheeler forever, but it just won't do the job at my new digs. Note To Self: Need more storage space ;)

Your estimate actually comes very close to what I was thinking. That's encouraging, since I need to recoup some of the cost of my 2-stage unit. Yes, I'll wait a bit longer and pray for a long winter. We've already seen several days of light snowfall, so the prospects look good. Once the local stock is depleted, I'll pounce like a politician on a bribe.

Thanks again for the help. I knew I came to the right place.
aa335

Reply #3   Oct 28, 2013 2:10 pm

I tend to do my research well before buying anything.  That includes information on any previous model lineage and the current model track record.  Being a guru in single stage snowblower is quite inexpensive.  Not like I'm collecting pens, antique German cameras, or British hand planes. 

I myself is not fond of L head engines in general.  I have an L head engine on my push mower, and old Deere 14PZ and a Toro super recycler.  They are rough and tumble engines lacking refinement.  However, they are reliable and cost effective.  If I run it back to back with a premium engine like a Honda GX, I would get annoyed by the L head, but that's never been the case.

In addition, I've been wearing hearing protection when operating any OPE, so the noise issue isn't a problem.

Good luck with selling your Toro.
This message was modified Oct 28, 2013 by aa335
oldcrow

Reply #4   Oct 28, 2013 3:10 pm
Roger that. You've been a big help, brother. I believe in thorough research as well. Nothing is cheap anymore, but there's a whole lot of cheaply-made goods for sale. Folks like you and sites like this sure help level the field. Rock on!
aa335

Reply #5   Oct 28, 2013 11:11 pm
Glad to be of help to you.  You're right, there's a lot of cheaply made products, which I may buy if I use it once a year.  But for everything that is used yearly and frequently, I do get the best I can afford.
MN_Runner

Reply #6   Oct 30, 2013 9:01 pm
aa335 wrote:
You have the model 421QE, which is one of the first models after the discontinued CCR 2450/3650.  The 421QE debut as a new model fully loaded with everything, and there weren't other less expensive configurations.

I haven't had a chance to use one of these 421QE with Tecumseh L head engine.  They were side valve.  The newer ones, 421Q and current 621's are all OHV of Chinese origin.  So your Tecumseh powered snowblower may be more desirable since Tecumseh went out business and these are pretty rare.  The same snowblower in a Lawnboy green shell is even more rare, perhaps more desirable for a collector.  For a used Toro 421QE, I would probably pay $350 for one in good condition.  Snowblower sales in the Midwest has been kinda soft the last two years.  Not sure how much snow we will get this winter.

I would hold on to your single stage Toro until you are sure you won't need it.  You will get better price when it's snowing than now or early winter.

I would think $200-300 is a fair shake. I don't know much about the L head engine but the Honda GX clones (Chinese Locin) are fairly competent and quiet. I seen a new Toro 621R going for $300-350.
Dr_Woof

Don't blow into the wind, and don't eat yellow snow. WOOF!

Reply #7   Oct 31, 2013 6:52 pm
aa335 wrote:
Glad to be of help to you.  You're right, there's a lot of cheaply made products, which I may buy if I use it once a year.  But for everything that is used yearly and frequently, I do get the best I can afford.

You get what you pay for.......if you're lucky.

Replies: 1 - 7 of 7View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42