Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > My Ariens 824 doesn't throw far -- what gives?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
nikonking

My Ariens 824 doesn't throw far -- what gives?
Original Message   Jan 17, 2008 10:07 am
Hi All,

Let's me first start by saying I'm a moron, who is only minimally mechanically inclined.  I can handle basic repair jobs, but please use small words in your suggestions to me.

That being said, I purchased a used Ariens 824 this past month.  It's got a bit of rust but the things starts on the first pull, and the gear systems seem to be in fine working order.  However, I had the chance to use it for the first time this week (we finally got snow) and while it does pick up and throw the snow, it only throws it a few feet.  So it ends up having to rethrow the very snow I blew from the driveway a few feet over.  I know enough about machines like this to realize that something is definitely not right here.  Especially when I hear some of you folks talk about this machine throwing 40' !!

Can any of you offer suggestions on how to resolve this issue?

Thanks!

-Ron in Michigan
Replies: 11 - 13 of 13Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
relics

Re: My Ariens 824 doesn't throw far -- what gives?
Reply #11   Feb 10, 2013 9:31 am
In snow like we just had (Blizzard) a good running 8HP 824 should throw 30+ ft.And if the snow is really wet maybe half that.And yes belts slipping can really cause problems.One of the main things is is the motor set to run at max rpm which is 3600? I have found unless your running a tach or the motor has been set up with a tach ? You can very easily be running under that.My 824 was set at 3250 so running at 3600 can make a good sized differance in power.I have a 1968 ariens 6hp and that one also ran about 3200 from the factory.Both machines running at full power are strong  performers for old tech machines.Although i do only run at max rpm when needed and for short periods.The little 6hp did great  in all that snow to and is a original unrebuilt engine and had no problem throwing 20+ feet to the top of the bucket.With both machine most of the time i average around 3100 or 3200 working rpm.Although it nice to no i can run max power when needed.I have found the best think to do is install tachs on both machines.
mml4

Snow is good,
Deep snow is better!

Reply #12   Feb 11, 2013 8:51 am
snoThr0 wrote:
Same here, my 926 is going on 7 years old. Used to throw across the yard, then it just dribbled out the chute. Belt was slipping. I adjusted the Attachment Belt Idler and it got me through. It's a temp solution, though, until I can get a pro to look at it.

My father has a 2005 926LE that had a factory upgrade designed for it. It seems snow melted and was able to work it's way on to the belts and caused slippage. They designed a deflector that mounted at the juncture of the chute and the bucket which solved the problem. There was also a kit that locked one of the shafts in place so that it wouldn't "egg" shape the hole it rode in. I installed both these after manufacture kits shortly after buying the machine for my father. Probably in 2006 or 2007. I found out about them from a Snowmann post on the net and the other by speaking to the tech help staff at Ariens. They are most helpful!! Marc

SnapperV210P,Toro22177,TroyBilt42010Snowthrower,Craftsman Shredder,American Turbo Pressure Washer HondaGX200,Stihl011Saw,EchoPas260Trimmer Edger,EchoPB602Blower,EchoHCR150Hedge Clipper
grump

Reply #13   Feb 11, 2013 9:16 am
snoThr0 wrote:
Same here, my 926 is going on 7 years old. Used to throw across the yard, then it just dribbled out the chute. Belt was slipping. I adjusted the Attachment Belt Idler and it got me through. It's a temp solution, though, until I can get a pro to look at it.

Change your belt before you invest in that.  They can stretch and slip.

Use the highest quality one you can find, and maybe add some belt dressing.
Replies: 11 - 13 of 13Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42