Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > No snow in sight - WTH ???

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
aa335

No snow in sight - WTH ???
Original Message   Jan 9, 2013 12:05 pm
It's almost middle of January and less than inch of snow accumulation has fallen.   There's no snow forecast in sight.  The temperature is heading up to 50-60F this weekend.  I'm excited about upcoming the warm weather but really want to see some real snow to play with.

Just saying, that's all.  It's been quiet on this forum for the last 3 days.  Too quiet.  I'm going to shift over to collecting lawn mowers instead of snowblowers if this keeps up.  Anybody feels the same way?
Replies: 46 - 55 of 98Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
aa335

Re: No snow in sight - WTH ???
Reply #46   Feb 6, 2013 8:54 pm
MN_Runner wrote:
My favorite time for a serious snow storm is Fri/Sat or Sat/Sun combination. 

That's mine too.  No one is in a hurry to get anywhere, the road traffic density is a lot less.  Also, the city snow plow runs later and less often so I can take my car outside and do some slip and sliding on snow covered roads.  Rear wheel drive, traction control off, time for some snow rallying. 
Moderator Denis

Reply #47   Feb 7, 2013 7:16 pm
Warnings Metro Montréal - Laval 3:16 PM EST Thursday 07 February 2013 Blowing snow warning for Metro Montréal - Laval issued The combination of strong northeasterly winds and snow will give near zero visibilities in blowing snow beginning late in the day Friday. A low pressure system over Newfoundland will continue to track eastward during the next few hours. Behind this system, a very cold air mass combined with moderate northwesterly winds is causing extreme wind chill in a few regions of the province. The winds will become light overnight, which will end the extreme wind chill. Also, as this cold air mass passes over ice free waters it could produce snowsqualls giving zero visibilities locally in coastal areas from Sainte-Anne-des-Monts to Forillon Park. Snowsqualls will end gradually this evening as the winds ease. A low pressure system from Texas will move to lie near Lake Erie Friday morning and then merge with an intense low pressure system developing over the American seaboard. Snow associated with this system will begin this evening over Southern Quebec and will continue Friday. A more intense band of snow will affect areas near the Ontario and American borders. Over the southwest, snow amounts will be generally between 5 and 10 centimetres and up to 20 or 25 centimetres near the borders. Due to strong northeasterly winds accompanying this system, several regions along the St Lawrence Valley will see blowing snow beginning in the late afternoon Friday. Courtesy of Weatheroffice www.weatheroffice.gc.ca

jimbedro

Reply #48   Feb 7, 2013 7:39 pm
I'm expecting 22"+ from this storm. This will be the biggest storm in 2 years. I have 10 gals of gas in the garage for snowblower and generator. I hope I don't need the generator.
FrankMA

Reply #49   Feb 7, 2013 7:42 pm
WARNINGS NEW ENGLAND - Laval 7:31 PM EST Thursday 07 February 2013 Expect very heavy snowfall during the entire day and night Friday and Saturday morning and early afternoon. It is suggested that vast quantities of alcoholic beverages be purchased and consumed during this time period. Copius amounts of good food such as beef tenderloin with roasted potatoes and gravy with mixed vegetables be cooked and eaten during this storm. Any other mind altering substances should also be considered and possibly used during this storm.
This message was modified Feb 7, 2013 by FrankMA

Toro Wheel Horse 522xi GT, Honda HS928TA, Honda HS621AS, Honda HS520A, Toro CCR3000 (work in progress), Honda HS624WA (sold 08/23/2010), Stihl BR550 Backpack Blower, Stihl MS250, McCulloch MS1635, Honda EM6500SX Generator
MN_Runner

Reply #50   Feb 7, 2013 7:57 pm
FrankMA wrote:
WARNINGS NEW ENGLAND - Laval 7:31 PM EST Thursday 07 February 2013 Expect very heavy snowfall during the entire day and night Friday and Saturday morning and early afternoon. It is suggested that vast quantities of alcoholic beverages be purchased and consumed during this time period. Copius amounts of good food such as beef tenderloin with roasted potatoes and gravy with mixed vegetables be cooked and eaten during this storm. Any other mind altering substances should also be considered and used during this storm. Courtesy of Weatheroffice www.weatheroffice.gc.ca

What is your home address? I will bring a true case (12 bottles and not 6) of wine and will help you wash down fine chunks of filet mignon.  I like my steak rare BTW.
Moderator Denis

Reply #51   Feb 7, 2013 10:23 pm
FrankMA wrote:
WARNINGS NEW ENGLAND - Laval 7:31 PM EST Thursday 07 February 2013 Expect very heavy snowfall during the entire day and night Friday and Saturday morning and early afternoon. It is suggested that vast quantities of alcoholic beverages be purchased and consumed during this time period. Copius amounts of good food such as beef tenderloin with roasted potatoes and gravy with mixed vegetables be cooked and eaten during this storm. Any other mind altering substances should also be considered and possibly used during this storm.

Frank, I like the way your sparkling easy way :)

GtWtNorth

https://t.me/pump_upp

Reply #52   Feb 8, 2013 8:49 am
aa335 wrote:
 I can take my car outside and do some slip and sliding on snow covered roads.  Rear wheel drive, traction control off, time for some snow rallying. 

AAAHHHH, rear wheel drive. Those were the good old days, hand brake slides on a fwd just aren't the same!

https://t.me/pump_upp
RIT333

Reply #53   Feb 8, 2013 9:49 am
GtWtNorth wrote:
AAAHHHH, rear wheel drive. Those were the good old days, hand brake slides on a fwd just aren't the same!
For fun with a FWD vehicle, take 2 cafeteria trays and put them under the rear tires, and set the emergency brake, then find a large parking lot - preferably without any light posts, and do donuts to your heart's content.  Don't spin too much, because you can run your engine oil pickup low on oil, and blow up your engine, but it takes quite a bit !  

(Don't try this a home !)
aa335

Reply #54   Feb 8, 2013 10:26 am
GtWtNorth wrote:

Yes, having both rear wheels spinning kicking up a rooster tail and being to control the rear end swing with the throttle, that's a huge difference from FWD.
aa335

Reply #55   Feb 8, 2013 10:36 am
Last night, we got 2 inches of snow.  Doesn't seem much, but it was the really heavy and wet kind, heart attack snow.  I tried shoveling it, had to stop every 3 feet to get the accumulated snow off the shovel.  It was soaking heavy.  After a while, I decided to get out the SS.  Even the Toro 421 had trouble pushing that stuff up the chute.  The engine never stalled and the paddles were still spinning, but the snow came out very slowly, kinda like 9 inch tube of Italian ice..  Quite impressed with the power of this engine.  It took a while clearing the snow, but I got it done last night.

I was glad I cleared the heavy snow because the next day, the temperature dropped and the wet snow freezed hard as a rock.  I guess I could take out the 2 stage and let the metal auger do the work.  I might have to do that tonight to help the new neighbors who doesn't even have any snowblowers.
Replies: 46 - 55 of 98Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42