Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Distance vs power

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Bill_H

Distance vs power
Original Message   Feb 6, 2013 11:36 am
The issue discussed in the Snow Commander thread raise an interesting concern.

Trading distance for torque is a tough decision, and I think a lot of people pay too much attention to throwing distance. It depends almost entirely on the type of snow you get in your location and the layout of your property.

For example: Where I am we usually get light powdery snow in the middle of winter, but starting now we see wet and heavy snow for Feb. and March. Half of my driveway is single width and runs through a wooded area. 15' is more than enough distance and almost any blower will do that. I don't mind if it's piled up near the driveway or on the lawn, as long as it's off the driveway. I'd rather have a strong blower there so I don't have to nibble at it by taking less-than-full-width cuts. Conversely, the top 45' of my driveway is extremely wide, because I have a paved parking area to the side of the garage and a turnaround below it. It's about 40' wide at that point so you need distance!

So big roostertails don't impress me. What impresses me is a machine going full width into deep snow at a good rate of speed; one that's capable of moving large volumes quickly. Power! But if you don't get a lot of deep snow, it can be fun. (as long as it's not being blown by the wind back onto already cleared areas!)

Someone here once posted a video and their driveway was between two houses, the was no way to blow to the side. In that case, distance is very important because you have to toss it far out to the front and once you're past the houses, then you can reblow it to the side. Reblowing is not fun, it hits and packs. The further it goes the less that hits in a given area. IN that case, distance is more important, so trading power for speed is worthwhile. I'd like to see someone market a machine with a two speed impeller. High speed for the light snowfalls, but able to be geared down when you get dumped on hard with the wet heavy stuff. I doubt that will happen because of the extra cost, but it would be nice.

Who the hell let all the morning people run things?
Replies: 1 - 10 of 17NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
aa335

Re: Distance vs power
Reply #1   Feb 6, 2013 12:52 pm
Bill_H wrote:
So big roostertails don't impress me. What impresses me is a machine going full width into deep snow at a good rate of speed; one that's capable of moving large volumes quickly. Power! But if you don't get a lot of deep snow, it can be fun. (as long as it's not being blown by the wind back onto already cleared areas!)

What you are describing is already exist in the market.  It is very expensive though.  Ventrac has sidewalk snowblowers with very high volume throughput that can accurately place discharged snow within inches of the snowblower.   It also can throw them pretty far too.  :)

But getting back to your original post, I'm usually not a proponent of one machine that does everything.  It can do everything, but not everything well.  A Swiss Army knife is not going to replace my steak knife, butter knife, or nail clipper by a long shot.  There is always design compromises.  I prefer specific and focused capability with little compromises as possible.

I like my single stage and 2 stage snowblowers.   They are both good at what they do and it's fun adjusting my technique to its capability.  The SS is fun to operate, the 2 stage is technical to operate.  On my 2 stage, I get more flexibility on how far or how much snow I discharge, no problem throwing snow 40 feet away.    Most of the time, I don't even try to throw that far because of the wind and blow backs.

Actually on my Honda tracked 2 stage snowblower, the darn machine is technical and forceful.  Sometimes I wonder if it's working for me or I'm working to operate it.  :)  Darn Bronco.  That's okay, as long as I don't have arthritis, knee and hip replacements, I'll keep it.
This message was modified Feb 6, 2013 by aa335
robertcoats

Reply #2   Feb 6, 2013 1:40 pm
The HS1336is from Honda ($7,999!) uses a regular gas engine to drive the auger and fan, but has twin electric motors to run the tracks.

A big performance plus is that you can operate both systems independently. In fact, the throttle control is really just a "throw snow distance" control. The faster you rev the engine, the father the fan will throw the snow. Slightly slower engine speeds will let the augers take more even bites and move more physical tons of snow, but it won't be thrown quite as far. The auger uses an electric push button clutch.

Meanwhile, the electric motors move at whatever speed works for you.

There's a brain on-board, with an AUTO, POWER and MANUAL mode. AUTO is slow, steady and automatic. Even a beginner can run it. POWER allows you to control the auger/fan speed, and MANUAL lets you control everything, including the hydraulic tilting and rotating auger housing.

Electric joystick for chute rotation, twin-joint deflection chute, 2 x 12V on-board batteries for electric start....but the real Cool Factor is a secret handshake sequence when turning the key on that diverts battery power to the track motors. This allows you to drive it around without the engine on and anybody who's owned a track-drive model knows how fantastic that could be.

Pretty slick design, but spendy.

HS1336iAS
-Robert@Honda
Caveat: I work for Honda, but the preceding is my opinion alone.
This message was modified Feb 6, 2013 by robertcoats
aa335

Reply #3   Feb 6, 2013 1:54 pm
robertcoats wrote:
This allows you to drive it around without the engine on and anybody who's owned a track-drive model knows how fantastic that could be.

Pretty slick design, but spendy.

HS1336iAS
-Robert@Honda
Caveat: I work for Honda, but the preceding is my opinion alone.

For $8000, I would like to have a anti-blowback force field, a heated seat, and a steering wheel.  Sure, it's nice Honda can showcase this model and can build F1 cars, but the average Honda buyer isn't going to buy a $8000 / 36" wide snowblower, unless they have a extra garage bay for the snowblower. 

Seriously, the HS1336is is very slick and well thought out engineering.  Kudos to Honda engineers.

Now can they get to work on a HS928is that is priced no more than $3000?  All I really need is dual electric track motors with unlocked axle, electric chute/deflector, and hydraulic bucket assist. 

If that's too hard for marketing folks to understand, then at least start selling HS928TCD's in the US.  Get rid of the HS520 and bring back the HS621.
This message was modified Feb 6, 2013 by aa335
robertcoats

Reply #4   Feb 6, 2013 2:41 pm
aa335 wrote:
For $8000, I would like to have a anti-blowback force field, a heated seat, and a steering wheel.  Sure, it's nice Honda can showcase this model and can build F1 cars, but the average Honda buyer isn't going to buy a $8000 / 36" wide snowblower, unless they have a extra garage bay for the snowblower. 

Seriously, the HS1336is is very slick and well thought out engineering.  Kudos to Honda engineers.

Now can they get to work on a HS928is that is priced no more than $3000?  All I really need is dual electric track motors with unlocked axle, electric chute/deflector, and hydraulic bucket assist. 

If that's too hard for marketing folks to understand, then at least start selling HS928TCD's in the US.  Get rid of the HS520 and bring back the HS621.

The HS1336is is a showcase product. Honda knows they won't sell many, but it's a way to show what Honda can do, and is specifically good at showing off the high-tech iGX engine. There's always a market for the best, but most customers for this unit so far are commerical / civil operators (ski resorts, for example).

As long as the 2-stage products are continued to be built in Japan, the exchange rate will dramatically impact the wholesale and retail prices. When the designers, engineers, and marketing teams all try and build a new unit based on $1 = 110 yen, but when it's time to build and ship them, the dollar only gets 85 yen, prices must rise to even break even, much less provide much profit for the dealers, I would love to see Honda make a 2-stage model here in the USA, where costs can be more closely controlled and planners can not worry about currency exchange rates.

The Canada-model HS928TDC is nice, but the battery can become a service issue for customers in the USA who would not use the unit as often as our neighbors up north. AC/120V starters will continue to be the norm on those US models that offer electric start.

The HS621 has a cult following. It was somewhat over-engineered, and eventually became too pricy to continue importing it.

My crystal ball tells me there will be changes to the Honda SB line-up...just can't say what or when for now!

-Robert@Honda
Caveat: I work for Honda, but the preceding is my opinion alone
MN_Runner

Reply #5   Feb 6, 2013 6:47 pm
aa335 wrote

HS-520 is not that bad.  It is fairly good for 3-6" snow.  When the snow is wet/heavy and more than 6" then it is challenged.  I need to boratized it..
FrankMA

Reply #6   Feb 6, 2013 6:54 pm
MN_Runner wrote:

HS-520 is not that bad.  It is fairly good for 3-6" snow.  When the snow is wet/heavy and more than 6" then it is challenged.  I need to boratized it..

You have to try an HS621 to really understand the difference. I have both and can truly see the performance difference between the GC & GX engines - definitely night & day.

Toro Wheel Horse 522xi GT, Honda HS928TA, Honda HS621AS, Honda HS520A, Toro CCR3000 (work in progress), Honda HS624WA (sold 08/23/2010), Stihl BR550 Backpack Blower, Stihl MS250, McCulloch MS1635, Honda EM6500SX Generator
MN_Runner

Reply #7   Feb 6, 2013 6:58 pm
I am done buying snowblowers.  My 3 car garage is full with two cars, 7 bicycles, two Honda snowblwers and one Honda lawnmower. No mas!
Bill_H

Reply #8   Feb 6, 2013 8:29 pm
MN_Runner wrote:
I am done buying snowblowers.  My 3 car garage is full with two cars, 7 bicycles, two Honda snowblwers and one Honda lawnmower. No mas!

Haha, me too. I have a 48" 21HP single stage, it's more than capable of anything I'll ever have to do.

Breaking News: They just posted the warning an hour ago -- up to 24" of heavy snow Friday and possible blizzard conditions on Saturday. Bring it on!

Who the hell let all the morning people run things?
MN_Runner

Reply #9   Feb 6, 2013 8:41 pm
I like running the 2-stage first then running the SS to clean the concrete.  My ice rink is about 150'x150' so I use 928 to clear it then 520 to smooth the surface. Even on an ice rink, SS has its limitations as I found out that SS does not throw the snow far enough so at some point we are dealing with the deep snow where 520 is seriously challenged.  Again if you have room and money, keep both as these come in handy.
aa335

Reply #10   Feb 6, 2013 9:02 pm
MN_Runner wrote:

I had both the HS520 and HS621 at the same time a few years ago.  If the snow is 3 to 6 inches, I don't have preference on either machine.  9 to 12 inches of wet heavy snow, the HS621 is much more a brutal machine.
Replies: 1 - 10 of 17NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42