Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > 4 Wheel Drive Craftsman Snowblower

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
FrankMA

4 Wheel Drive Craftsman Snowblower
Original Message   Jan 22, 2013 6:10 pm
Check this out - never saw or heard of this one before.....

CRAFTSMAN 4 WHEEL DRIVE SNOWBLOWER - $375 (PEPPERELL)

CRAFTSMAN 4X4 SNOWBLOWER 9 H.P. 28' PATH HEADLIGHT ELECTRIC START 6 FORWARD SPEEDS 2 REV. SPEEDS REMOTE STEERING RUNS AND LOOKS GOOD CALL ONLY (978) 944-8524

Toro Wheel Horse 522xi GT, Honda HS928TA, Honda HS621AS, Honda HS520A, Toro CCR3000 (work in progress), Honda HS624WA (sold 08/23/2010), Stihl BR550 Backpack Blower, Stihl MS250, McCulloch MS1635, Honda EM6500SX Generator
Replies: 1 - 9 of 9View as Outline
Shryp

Re: 4 Wheel Drive Craftsman Snowblower
Reply #1   Jan 22, 2013 8:09 pm
I saw some pictures and videos of them a year or 2 ago. I think the video I saw was a White Outdoor. My guess is they were trying to make something between wheel drive and track drive.
trouts2

Reply #2   Jan 23, 2013 7:27 am
      Never knew of this machine.   It's been around since at least 2000-2001, made by MTD.   The steering drive components look like the same parts they used forever in their track machines.  Never had a problem with their track drives.   The machine probably turns on a dime and easy to use.

MTD is an interesting company with phenomenal growth.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MTD_Products
An article about this machine: http://books.google.com/books?id=OXYo4mrq9Q4C&pg=PA112&lpg=PA112&dq=snow+thrower+826+4+x+4&source=bl&ots=EQzb2P6YXo&sig=dZq7vxYdS6qkUJFmwMFhR0s_q2s&hl=en&sa=X&ei=0sz_UKnfMIfp0QHT1YHQDA&ved=0CGUQ6AEwBw#v=onepage&q=snow%20thrower%20826%204%20x%204&f=false

longboat

Reply #3   Jan 23, 2013 9:03 am
Yep, looks like they replaced the track-drive sprockets/bogeys with wheels/tires...
55utilitysedan

Reply #4   Jan 23, 2013 9:58 am
Way cool, with all the machines that have come through my garage I have never heard or seen anything like it. Just wondering if it may be better than track drive. Wonder why it never went over BIG?????
hcbph1

Reply #5   Jan 23, 2013 10:26 am
I saw one like that listed here on CL last year.  Big difference is they wanted around $1000 for it IIRC.

Kind of neat looking but not worth the extra $$ and complexity to me.

aa335

Reply #6   Jan 23, 2013 11:35 am
From the pictures, I don't see any trigger or lever to allow the bucket to be tipped up above the pavement for easier turning.  All the tracked models have this feature.  If this 4 wheeled model doesn't have it, I would see that as an major deal breaker.

Interesting model for sure.  However, I'm not fond of an in-between design.  It either has to be 2-wheeled or tracked.  A 4-wheeled snowblower is an odd ball, not sure how a salesman is going convince me to buy this model based on what merit.
borat

Reply #7   Jan 23, 2013 12:57 pm
Personally, I'd take the 4 wheel over a track machine because it's probably easier to move around when not running and is also likely to be more maneuverable to operate.  From my experience, two wheels have provided more than sufficient traction.  I can only assume that if conditions warrant, the 4 wheel machine would offer twice as much.  Not as much as a track machine but probably more than enough for most conditions with the added bonus of being easier to operate compare to a track machine.  I like it.
trouts2

Reply #8   Jan 23, 2013 3:26 pm

>>If this 4 wheeled model doesn't have it, I would see that as an major deal breaker.

For you, but some would not mind having the 4 wheels, trigger turning and the bucket angle like a standard snow blower which is not so bad.   The only questionable thing about angle is the lower bucket  rust and replacement shoes in the picture.  It makes me wonder if this arrangement puts a downward lean on the bucket causing excessive scraping.  ?  The back wheel might keep the bucket down more but a disadvantage on quick rise to make it scrap more. ?

>>Personally, I'd take the 4 wheel over a track machine because it's probably easier to move around when not running and is also likely to be more maneuverable to operate. 

Hard to say as the MTD tracks are about as easy to move as a wheeled.  A comparable HP MTD to your Simplicity would be lighter and probably easier to push around.   All the MTD wheeled machines I’ve had are a breeze to push around.  The double wheel is probably just as easy.  

MTD tracks are nothing like moving a Honda.   Yamaha’s are much easier to move than a Honda.    Honda is alone in this department.   BUT…I have two Honda tracks, had others before and have to move them often and don’t consider it a problem.  The problem shifts from hard to move which does not happen because I don’t move them when not running to a wait problem.  

The wait part is for the engine & parts to warm up before moving.   Given the amount of times I move them per year it’s not a problem but for some would be.  I move them to the back yard for summer, garage before the winter and side of the house for their winter start position which is probably more moves and distance than most and not a big deal.  

>>the added bonus of being easier to operate compare to a track machine

If you could clear with one you’d know in an instant that they’re probably both the same.  The track turns fast without operator effort other than the trigger finger pull.  Their actually nice even with the lighter than average build.  The bucket positions allow it to dig in if needed and good enough.   I never found much of an advantage in bigger weighted front ends of bigger machines.  They get you a few feet further into a pile but poop out quickly so not that much of a help. 

Bill_H

Reply #9   Jan 23, 2013 7:50 pm
That looks exactly like the MTD Yard Man tracked I used to have, except for the console and wheels. But looking closely at the drive components, it appears as if MTD changed the trigger steer mechanism. The one I had was an approx. 5 year newer design, pictured here: http://c.searspartsdirect.com/lis_png/PLDM/1111147P-00006.png

The dogs (23,36) locked 47 in place so the driveshaft turned 46. Pulling the trigger(s) raised the dog(s) and allowed that side to freewheel. The driveshaft was powered by the chain on 49 and the track powered by the chains on 46. Trouts is correct about how easy these are to move and steer. Effortless when running, and still very easy when off. Pull both triggers and push, for turning/swiveling lean down on the handlebar to raise the front of the track. My only complaints after several years were the thinness of the bucket (and the paint job on it), and the light. Replaced the light for $10 and it was great. A really nice system, one that I am surprised wasn't copied by other manufacturers.

Who the hell let all the morning people run things?
Replies: 1 - 9 of 9View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42