Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > VIDEO: Briggs 2100 Series found on Ariens. Question about engine noise inside.....

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
jrhawk9

VIDEO: Briggs 2100 Series found on Ariens. Question about engine noise inside.....
Original Message   Jan 4, 2013 10:14 am
Hi guys, first time poster.

I just recently purchased a new Ariens Professional 32 snowblower. It has the 420cc Briggs 2100 Professional Series engine (25M137-0110-F1) on it. It seems to run and start great. I only have one concern, it seems a bit loud at idle.... especially when the motor is cold and not warmed up. I attached a YouTube video, could you guys take a listen and tell me what you think. It sounds like it has some piston slap....which may be completely normal, but wanted to get some opinions. If you compare what it sounds like in the beginning of the video to at the end, it sounds like it may get a bit quieter when it warms up. Take a listen and let me know what ya think.

VIDEO LINK: 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KXITx9l_0lE&feature=player_embedded
ENGINE LINK:
http://goo.gl/CnsOm
This message was modified Jan 4, 2013 by jrhawk9
Replies: 1 - 3 of 3View as Outline
trouts2

Re: VIDEO: Briggs 2100 Series found on Ariens. Question about engine noise inside.....
Reply #1   Jan 4, 2013 11:48 am
   Tough to say but I've never heard any OHV sound like that.   I've had an 11hp OHV winter Intek by Briggs and was smooth and sounded great..like a powerful Honda.  I can understand your concern though.  If it were mine I'd go to the dealer and see what they say.  I'd ask them to fire up a similar engine.  WIthout some clearup I'd be nervous and thinking about backing out.   

At higher RPM it seems to be much better but that happens with some machines that do have problems.  They don't seem as bad at higher rev's.

There could be some resonances in the covers or echo or something inside the muffler.  You could try pressing all the covers to see if that dampens the sound.  ? could a wrong plug cause pinging?

ADD:
   I once had a noise I was convinced was from the auger gearbox.  I was so convinced after a few days of listening I parted the bucket and opened the gearbox which was fine.  The noise turned out to be from a loose arm inside the drive section which seemed impossible but happened. 
This message was modified Jan 4, 2013 by trouts2
jrtrebor

Re: VIDEO: Briggs 2100 Series found on Ariens. Question about engine noise inside.....
Reply #2   Jan 4, 2013 12:40 pm
I'm hearing valves.
 The clacking or clicking sound of Rocker arms hitting the valve stems.
It's the first thing I thought when your video started.
I work on a lot of Honda GX engines and most have
a very similar sound at lower RPM.
The OHV engines can tend to be a little noisy especially when cold.
These OHV engines are the equivalent of a car engine with solid lifter cam.
Which are always noisy.
It does sound a little different from what I'm used to hearing.
But I'm sure that's because it's a Briggs not a Honda.
Valve lash specs. for a Honda are .15 intake and .20 exhaust.
You could take it to the dealer and let him listen to it.  Or listen to
some other engines.  Might give you a little piece of mind.

For what it's worth, it sounds pretty normal to me.
This message was modified Jan 4, 2013 by jrtrebor
jrhawk9

Reply #3   Jan 4, 2013 4:09 pm
Thanks guys.  I contacted the local dealer and he says it's normal.  I also found a YouTube video of an identical motor on a Ariens Pro 28 and it made the same noise.  Valve lash specs for this motor are 0.005"-0.007" for intake and exhaust.  Both are currently adjusted to 0.005".  See link below:

http://youtu.be/JndnPWr3LV0?t=19s

This message was modified Jan 4, 2013 by jrhawk9
Replies: 1 - 3 of 3View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42