Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > When to use a cogged belt, when to use a smooth belt?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
grump

When to use a cogged belt, when to use a smooth belt?
Original Message   Dec 22, 2012 5:54 pm
Replacing the 07204700 belt again on an old 727 Ariens.  It was slipping under a load last year, and part of it looks burnt.

I don't know if I should choose a cogged belt, or a standard V belt. 

Does one have any advantage over the other?
Replies: 1 - 1 of 1View as Outline
borat

Re: When to use a cogged belt, when to use a smooth belt?
Reply #1   Dec 22, 2012 6:58 pm
Here's an informative video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zH1RRx2j9SM

From what the guy is saying, the cogged belt runs cooler because the breaks in the belt cut the heat cycle?

Not sure how important that would be on a snow blower.  A bit of heat isn't a bad thing on a cold day. 

Speaking of belts, I was using the Murray the yesterday to blow away the snow I had rounded up with the pusher shovel.  I noticed that the paddles would stop completely when I pushed the machine into a high pile of snow.  Did that a few times so I figured I'd better look into the reasons.  I figure it was simply a belt adjustment and pulled off the side plate to look at the idler pulley to adjust it.  I completely forgot that the adjuster was on the cable.  Just as well because the problem wasn't the adjustment.   The slipping was being caused by snow being pushed into the belt/pulley housing through a crack where the two surfaces meet.  Cheap plastics again.  The belt would slip until it cooked off the water from melted snow and would grab.  I ended up putting a bead of gasket glue between the two surfaces and an additional screw to pull in the widest section of the crack.  All is well now.
This message was modified Dec 22, 2012 by borat
Replies: 1 - 1 of 1View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42