Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Inverter Generator Question

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
borat

Inverter Generator Question
Original Message   Dec 9, 2012 11:20 am

I want to install an hour meter on my inverter generator. I see that there are a number of AC hour meters readily available and that's likely the way I'll go. The machine has a 12 volt, 8 amp DC outlet on it for charging batteries. The problem is that the manual for generator states that you cannot use AC and the 12v DC charging system at the same time which means, if I put an AC hour meter on it, it may not be counting hours when the generator is putting out DC power.

I know there are different timers available that can be operated by using the spark plug lead. Don't want to use one of those because they never seem to last very long. Most have an internal battery that cannot be changed. Accordingly, I'd prefer to wire an AC analog hour meter directly to the AC outlet wiring.

My question is, does anyone know if there is power interruption to the AC outlets when the DC power is being used? I'm assuming that there likely will be a power interruption due to the inverter probably not being able to produce AC and DC simultaneously. However, my knowledge of inverter generators is virtually non-existent. Hence my need to ask.
Replies: 1 - 10 of 15NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Bill_H

Re: Inverter Generator Question
Reply #1   Dec 9, 2012 9:02 pm
Does the manual have a schematic, or can you google one up? It's quite possible the DC outlet is live while you're using the AC outlet and they just don't want you drawing on both at once. But an hourmeter draws an insignificant amount of current. Or if there's a switch to choose between the two, you can tap off 12V on the back of it.

Who the hell let all the morning people run things?
robertcoats

Reply #2   Dec 10, 2012 8:26 am
Every inverter generator I've ever used puts out both AC and DC at the same time.

How does the generator know to put out AC or DC? Is there a toggle switch to pick one or the other? Maybe a sensor on the outlets?

Hook up a voltmeter and test/confirm only AC or DC is working...I'll wager they both run at the same time.

-Robert@Honda
Caveat: I work for Honda, but the preceding is my opinion alone.
borat

Reply #3   Dec 10, 2012 10:22 am
Thanks for the input guys.

There's no switch to select AC or DC.  There are reset switches for both AC and DC outputs that's it. 
I checked the schematic and it appears that they're on separte circuits whith their own supply source.  I'll probably haul the machine up out of the basement and fire it up to take a reading with the multimeter.  
borat

Reply #4   Dec 10, 2012 2:32 pm
I tested the generator and it does put out AC and DC simultaneously.  What I noticed was that idle, it was producing approx. 13.5 volts DC, as I increased the AC load to about 50% rated output (1000 watts),  the DC current increased to 14.5% and when near full output (2000 watts) it was getting close to 15 volts DC.  I'm assuming that the reason they don't want to utilize both AC and DC at the same time is that the DC output might be higher than the manufacturer would like.  Personally, 15 volts isn't that bad for discharged battery.  However, as the battery gets to maximum charge, it would be a bit heavy, resulting in cooking off electrolyte.  Not that it would be a concern for me.  I'll likely use a regular AC charger to take care of batteries and just use the DC outlet to power the hour meter.  

Now to find a couple non LCD hour meters for a reasonable price.

Thanks again for your help.
mml4

Snow is good,
Deep snow is better!

Reply #5   Dec 11, 2012 6:47 am
Borat-I can't answer your question but have a meter suggestion for you. if you haven't bought the meter yet try to locate one from a manufacturer named Hobbs. They make them in both ac and dc in different voltages. I bought one and installed it on my Gillette and couldn't be happier. I opened up the panel and tapped into the back of one of the duplex plugs and mounted the meter on the frame using one of their available brackets.Couldn't agree more about the non lcd comment! Marc
This message was modified Dec 11, 2012 by mml4

SnapperV210P,Toro22177,TroyBilt42010Snowthrower,Craftsman Shredder,American Turbo Pressure Washer HondaGX200,Stihl011Saw,EchoPas260Trimmer Edger,EchoPB602Blower,EchoHCR150Hedge Clipper
carlb

Reply #6   Dec 11, 2012 8:52 am
As MML14 said Hobbs makes hour meters and I know for a fact that Hobbs hour meters are used on most if not  all military generators.  
robertcoats

Reply #7   Dec 11, 2012 9:02 am
The higher DC voltage when the engine is turning faster is probably normal.

While my experience is limited to Honda generators, I know other brands with DC charging often behave the same way, and nearly all are unregulated charging circuits. So it really depends on how well the hour meter tolerates these different voltages. Might be better to run it off the AC circuit, which is more regulated and steady.

-Robert@Honda
borat

Reply #8   Dec 11, 2012 10:02 am
robertcoats wrote:
The higher DC voltage when the engine is turning faster is probably normal.

While my experience is limited to Honda generators, I know other brands with DC charging often behave the same way, and nearly all are unregulated charging circuits. So it really depends on how well the hour meter tolerates these different voltages. Might be better to run it off the AC circuit, which is more regulated and steady.

-Robert@Honda

The DC hour meters can handle quite a wide range of voltage variances.  Some of the Redington units showed that they handle anthing between 10 to 80 volts.  That should be a wide enough spread to handle the purpose I need it for.  I kept the multimeter on the generator for an hour or more and other than when changing load on the machine, the voltage stayed quite consistent. 
friiy

Reply #9   Dec 11, 2012 11:04 am
Hey if you look at the Hobbs Meter,  be sure you price one for equipment use,   they are a very popular aircraft hour meter manufacturer... (All hour meters oin aircraft are referred to as "Hobbs" meters)... and the price jumps for Aircraft parts..

They are a good meter, and they make Analog meters...

Friiy

borat

Reply #10   Dec 11, 2012 12:13 pm
friiy wrote:
Hey if you look at the Hobbs Meter,  be sure you price one for equipment use,   they are a very popular aircraft hour meter manufacturer... (All hour meters oin aircraft are referred to as "Hobbs" meters)... and the price jumps for Aircraft parts..

They are a good meter, and they make Analog meters...

Friiy

There's no way in HELL that I'm paing $150.00 plus for a Hobbs hour meter (loca Grainger price).  That's half the price I paid for the generator.  No going to happen.  I can buy a Redington for $35.00.
Replies: 1 - 10 of 15NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42