Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Fast adjusting skid shoes

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
coasteray

El Toro! 1028 LXE
Tecumseh 358cc
10hp

Fast adjusting skid shoes
Original Message   Nov 19, 2012 7:18 pm
I am waiting for the day when manufacturers will give us skid shoes that adjust in a similar fashion as lawn mowers, where you simply move a lever up and down to where you want the shoes to be, locking the lever in your choice of several pre-set slots; or if there is a way to make it infinitely adjustable, all the better. A single lever could adjust both sides, or have a lever for each side.  How about a lever that is operated from the dash panel?   Or maybe use a quick-release system like that for bicycle wheels. I suppose for either method, we would perhaps still need to put something under the scraper blade to elevate the blower to the desired height before proceeding, but I'm sure this issue could be addressed. 

I realize that mowers have four wheels and snow blowers have only two, but really.....can't anyone figure this out?

I have to shift from asphalt to dirt/grass surfaces when I snowblow, so to avoid having to change the height of the shoes, I just push down on the handlebars when going over the dirt area. I get really tired of having to do that. I don't want to carry a wrench and a piece of wood in my pocket.

Come on Ariens, Toro, Briggs, Husqvarna, MTD, Honda,and whoever else is out there. Show some innovation on this. Please don't suggest that this be left up to people to fix themselves. How many of us can or want to have to do this on our own by cutting and welding, or whatever? Whichever company can innovate on this issue could see some good sales results, I would guess.
This message was modified Nov 19, 2012 by coasteray

El Toro! 1028 LXE - Tecumseh 358cc 10hp   Let it snow! Let it snow! Let it snow!
Replies: 1 - 6 of 6View as Outline
borat

Re: Fast adjusting skid shoes
Reply #1   Nov 20, 2012 9:19 am
Can you make some sort of plastic shoe that will fit over the steel skid?  Something similar to a skate guard?  Might take a bit of experimenting, but it could make things a lot easier once you figure something out.
ajallen

Reply #2   Nov 20, 2012 12:09 pm
Here you go Roll or Slide on a Toro Power Max email me at aj-allen at usa dot net for more info

This message was modified Nov 20, 2012 by ajallen
aa335

Reply #3   Nov 20, 2012 7:03 pm
coasteray wrote:
Come on Ariens, Toro, Briggs, Husqvarna, MTD, Honda,and whoever else is out there. Show some innovation on this. Please don't suggest that this be left up to people to fix themselves. How many of us can or want to have to do this on our own by cutting and welding, or whatever? Whichever company can innovate on this issue could see some good sales results, I would guess.

The application of running a snowblower on grass to clear a path for the doggie has been addressed by Ariens, Husqvarna and Honda.  This is an application for tracked snowblower to float over snow when going on grass and not sink in.  These machines have 3 position bucket height adjustment.
This message was modified Nov 21, 2012 by aa335
Bill_H

Reply #4   Nov 20, 2012 10:57 pm
You do realize if they do that you'll probably pay $50 more for the feature. Cheaper to rig up your own.
Using a system like lawnmowers have would probably be too coarse. For a smooth driveway that would mean the difference between dragging the scraper bar and leaving white areas behind.

Who the hell let all the morning people run things?
coasteray

El Toro! 1028 LXE
Tecumseh 358cc
10hp

Reply #5   Nov 21, 2012 8:28 pm
aa335 wrote:
The application of running a snowblower on grass to clear a path for the doggie has been addressed by Ariens, Husqvarna and Honda.  This is an application for tracked snowblower to float over snow when going on grass and not sink in.  These machines have 3 position bucket height adjustment.

I've thought about tracked machines, but the idea of advancing the current state of the standard skid shoe seems to me to be a good idea. People who own machines with differentials or steering triggers surely would find this a very good idea, if even as an additional kit to buy. That way, people aren't forced to buy something they don't want or need. Of course, I think it should be standard equipment, but that's just my opinion. Seems to me a better idea than electric chute controls. I guess manufacturers think that since you need chute controls anyway, why not electric? I don't know if those are more expensive or not. My dirt/grass area is actually my driveway area that comes off my paved alley. I'm the second house from the corner, so I get to blow from the side street to past my house for a total of about the width of three back yards of asphalt. Lots of turning around between that and my dirt & grass driveway area.
This message was modified Nov 25, 2012 by coasteray

El Toro! 1028 LXE - Tecumseh 358cc 10hp   Let it snow! Let it snow! Let it snow!
coasteray

El Toro! 1028 LXE
Tecumseh 358cc
10hp

Reply #6   Nov 25, 2012 8:26 pm
borat wrote:
Can you make some sort of plastic shoe that will fit over the steel skid?  Something similar to a skate guard?  Might take a bit of experimenting, but it could make things a lot easier once you figure something out.

That would be an interesting way to do it. A pre-set height, and at whatever width is needed. Thanks, borat.

Replies: 1 - 6 of 6View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42