Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Toro 621 series question

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
slinger

Toro 621 series question
Original Message   Nov 17, 2012 10:10 am
Does anyone have any idea why Toro does not implement a version of their joystick chute control on it's single stage machines?  They go as far as providing chute rotation with the QZ option but stop short of remote deflector control.  The zip deflector is certainly nicer than a friction based deflector adjustment, but why not provide the complete convenience of a remote for this as well?  For the price of a 621QZE (around $750 USD) you should get this kind of convenience.  Maybe even a headlight as well.  I don't think you should have to step up to a 2 stage machine for these features.  There are those who will never need more than a single stage, but let's admit, there are times you need to change the deflector angle quite often depending on the wind and objects surrounding the driveway.  Only thing I can think of (besides cost) is that in a SS machine you dont have as many solid places to mount additional mechanisms as you do in a 2 stage, where you have exposed motor and various bracket mounting options.  But the Cub Cadet 221 LHP seems to pull this off.  I would like to see these features in a quality Toro machine.  It certainly wouldn't detract from the 621's already solid performance...it would just make it the ultimate in convenience in a quality SS blower.  Does anyone think they will adopt these features in the future, or is there a reason that this doesn't make any sense? 
Replies: 1 - 3 of 3View as Outline
aa335

Re: Toro 621 series question
Reply #1   Nov 17, 2012 2:55 pm
There's no reason why they couldn't or shouldn't.  But I don't think Toro will be adding those features any time soon.  The bottom line is sales volume and profit.  Why change the formula when it works and makes them lots of money?  They also have very good dealer network.  They still sell well even the basic 621 model, which is still is more expensive than other brand's with more features.  The Cub Cadet 221 LHP you mentioned, is priced less, has a bigger engine, and has both remote chute and deflector controls, but goes by unnoticed even with the obnoxious bright yellow housing.  Even the B&S produced Ariens, Snapper, and Simplicity clones combined can't touch the Toro sales volume.

By the way, I prefer the traditional friction deflector over the Toro's Zip deflector.  I could never get the right angle that I want from that ratchety deflector.  I also think Toro should include the on dash fuel shutoff.
This message was modified Nov 17, 2012 by aa335
borat

Reply #2   Nov 17, 2012 3:04 pm
Ahhhh, yeahhhh.......Why not more expensive complicated gizmos on SS machines?  After all, they're such c-u-mbersome machines to use.....NOT. 

Anyone who owns/operates a 221/621QRE knows that there is no need for more gizmos.  The machines work very well as is.  I own one and had never felt the need for more/easier controls. As it is, it's the easiest operating machine I own and I have a few. 

If one is that physically limited to need electric quick shoot controls on a light, nimble easy to use SS machine, maybe they shouldn't be operating a snowblower?   They should be looking at having a custom built remote control unit that they can operate from the comfort of their Lazy Boy. 
This message was modified Nov 17, 2012 by borat
slinger

Reply #3   Nov 17, 2012 8:52 pm
borat wrote:
Ahhhh, yeahhhh.......Why not more expensive complicated gizmos on SS machines?  After all, they're such c-u-mbersome machines to use.....NOT. 

Anyone who owns/operates a 221/621QRE knows that there is no need for more gizmos.  The machines work very well as is.  I own one and had never felt the need for more/easier controls. As it is, it's the easiest operating machine I own and I have a few. 

If one is that physically limited to need electric quick shoot controls on a light, nimble easy to use SS machine, maybe they shouldn't be operating a snowblower?   They should be looking at having a custom built remote control unit that they can operate from the comfort of their Lazy Boy. 

What?  You have a 221 QRE?  No such machine. Q would be a quick chute. Who needs that clumsy complicated convenience when a manual handle will do the job just fine?(kidding)   R is recoil start and E means electric start. Why do you rail against some added convenience when you've got some of it on your machine already (and claim you like it!) .  I never said anything about electric controlled chute controls. When I said joystick control I was referring to the single stick mechanical joystick similar to what they use on their 2 stage machines...adding a cable and a simple mechanism to do remote chute deflection.  Adds maybe a pound to the weight of the machine...and it would be just as nimble as before.  And some obviously are not too thrilled by the zip deflector so perhaps that is an area for improvement anyway.  My current SS has a crank handle for chute rotation which works fine but the friction deflector would be nicer if I could control it from the dashboard as well.  That's all. I can see by your video that you don't use your chute deflection very much anyway.  I do. 
This message was modified Nov 17, 2012 by slinger
Replies: 1 - 3 of 3View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42