Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Prevent the plow from blocking your driveway

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
GtWtNorth

https://t.me/pump_upp

Prevent the plow from blocking your driveway
Original Message   Nov 13, 2012 8:03 pm
With a new season at our throats already, I thought I'd pass on a little trick some one taught me years ago to stop the plow from filling in your freshly cleaned driveway (some of you may already be familiar with it but I thought it is worth repeating).
Normally, on a two way street, the plow deposits his little gift in your driveway passing from left to right (as you are standing in the driveway looking at the street). The trick is to clear about 20 feet of snow from street on the left side of your driveway. Since many of us clear the snow early in the morning before work (sometimes before the plow passes), this leaves an empty space where the plow will deposit most of the snow before he hits your driveway. So, you won't be forced to reclear the EOD before you leave for work and you may also be able to get back in that evening. The only time it doesn't pay not to reclean right away is if it's warm when you leave and then freezes before you have a chance to clean.

Made up a little sketch to clarify

There is just a curb on my street (and the plow usually travels at least three feet from the curb) but it should work as well with sidewalks (depending on how close they plow to the curb or sidewalk, you may have to clear off some of your lawn)
This message was modified Nov 13, 2012 by GtWtNorth

https://t.me/pump_upp
Replies: 1 - 3 of 3View as Outline
mobiledynamics

Re: Prevent the plow from blocking your driveway
Reply #1   Nov 13, 2012 8:19 pm
Yeah. Good luck with that. I cleared and left a 5" thick wall - about 18" High - almost 20" away from the curb of my driveway.

Some kind city worker with a mini backhoe saw my nice CLEAR space and proceeded to put his DUMP there, as per my neighbors told me when I got home...
borat

Reply #2   Nov 14, 2012 9:48 am
I'm lucky.  My neighbour's driveway to the left of me is only twelve feet or so away and I normally keep the bank pushed back between the driveways.  He generally gets most of the plow's deposit.   Normally, I get considerably less.  However, in a big dump, that little trick doesn't amount to much.  Everyone gets their fair share. 

However, with light accumulations, the trick does work.
aa335

Reply #3   Nov 14, 2012 12:52 pm
This technique works for me.  If the plow does come around again, I still have the EOD pile, but at least it's not tall enough to prevent me from getting my car in and out of the driveway.  And usually, I can clean up the EOD pile with a shovel and snow pusher in less than 5 minutes.

I usually try to keep the EOD clean and free of snow.  The sun will do most of the melting so I rarely have put any salt or snow melter on concrete.  I may salt once or twice a winter, especially after freezing rain.
This message was modified Nov 14, 2012 by aa335
Replies: 1 - 3 of 3View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42