Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > New trimmer help

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Ctrlaltelite

New trimmer help
Original Message   Oct 16, 2012 11:28 pm
The $100 cheapy's aren't cutting it anymore. Looking to spend around $300-$350. I know I want a straight shaft. Any suggestions on brand and models. Was looking at Echo, Stihl and Redmax. Have no idea which is better. Being used for large residential home. 2 times a week.
Replies: 1 - 2 of 2View as Outline
aa335

Re: New trimmer help
Reply #1   Oct 17, 2012 12:31 am
I'm currently using a Stihl KM90R power head with the attachments, a straight shaft string trimmer and an edger.  I've had for 4 years now and I'm quite happy with it.  It has enough torque to run an edger, plenty of power to run a string trimmer, even the thicker lines.  The engine runs as a 4 stroke but it runs 2 cycle oil gas mixture.  The engine is very strong and sounds really nice.

Overall, I'm happy with it.  Two things I don't like about it. Low RPM throttle modulation is twitchy.  It's is like on/off switch.  Idle to mid throttle is hard to modulate.  It likes to run mid to high throttle.   I had a Honda string trimmer with a stroke engine and throttle modulation is smooth and linear.  On the Stihl, It takes 5-10 pulls with partial choke to get a cold engine started.  Once warmed up, restarting is easy, one pull without choke. 

I also have an Echo with 28cc engine.  It is an edger, bed redefiner though.  Engine is easy to start, smooth throttle modulation, I think the heavy mass of the edger really smooths out any engine twitchiness.  Engine sound is ok.  The handle has soft overmold rubber which absorbs the vibration so it is more comfortable to hold.  The engine is also powerful.

I still enjoy using the Stihl despite the twitchy throttle and hard cold starts. 
This message was modified Oct 17, 2012 by aa335
borat

Re: New trimmer help
Reply #2   Oct 17, 2012 11:28 am
In my experience, Echo is now the best bang for the buck.  I own at least five pieces of Echo equipment including two trimmers.  Great equipment at good prices.  
Replies: 1 - 2 of 2View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42