Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Honda EM6500SX Generator - Finally

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
FrankMA

Honda EM6500SX Generator - Finally
Original Message   Sep 16, 2012 5:41 pm
Well I finally broke down and purchased a Honda EM6500SX Generator for my house. Last year was brutal with power outages. The first one in September lasted for close to 4 days and the October outage caused by the fluke nor'easter lasted almost 6 days. I'm on well water so no power means no water (I think no water is worse than no power). We usually lose power several times each year and it seems to be getting worse and last longer each time. I heat with wood so that at least is never a problem.

Got my 10 circuit transfer switch all wired up on Friday with my licensed electrician buddy so I'm ready to get let down by National Grid this year. I caught a 0% for 18 months finance offer from Honda plus all generators and transfer switches were on sale (saved $600.00) so it worked out well. I don't usually feel good about spending a decent chunk of $$$ but knowing my family will have power when (not if) it goes out is a good feeling.

This message was modified Sep 16, 2012 by FrankMA

Toro Wheel Horse 522xi GT, Honda HS928TA, Honda HS621AS, Honda HS520A, Toro CCR3000 (work in progress), Honda HS624WA (sold 08/23/2010), Stihl BR550 Backpack Blower, Stihl MS250, McCulloch MS1635, Honda EM6500SX Generator
Replies: 11 - 20 of 20Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
FrankMA

Re: Honda EM6500SX Generator - Finally
Reply #11   Nov 8, 2012 5:26 pm
I thought long and hard about spending the $$$ for a Honda vs. a BB store generator. I lose power so often and for such long periods of time that I decided reliablity, quietness and confidence in the product line when needed was worth the extra dough. I would have bought a lower priced unit if we only lost power for a few hours a few times a year. When I lose power it is generally for a minimum of 3 days to a maximum (so far) of 6 days, except of course for those little blips of an hour or so here and there that most experience. I did end up getting somewhat of deal as I caught a $500.00 off list special offer price on the EM6500SX, $100.00 off the transfer switch and 18 months zero% financing through Honda when I was ready to make my purchase. The special offers eased the pain a bit and losing power for close to 4 days a week ago validated my purchase decision even further.
This message was modified Nov 8, 2012 by FrankMA

Toro Wheel Horse 522xi GT, Honda HS928TA, Honda HS621AS, Honda HS520A, Toro CCR3000 (work in progress), Honda HS624WA (sold 08/23/2010), Stihl BR550 Backpack Blower, Stihl MS250, McCulloch MS1635, Honda EM6500SX Generator
mobiledynamics

Reply #12   Nov 8, 2012 6:58 pm

borat wrote:
 I just fire it up every year or two to make sure it will run.  

Question for those with Gensets that don't *regularly* need to use it or experience outages.
How Often do you Fire it up just to make sure it's working. Granted I don't expect to use it except for maybe once every 2 years or so.....but we'll see.
Just ordered dual EU2000 after post Sandy.

I'm thinking I'll just *excercise the unit* every couple of months just to keep gas cycling, seals, etc
borat

Reply #13   Nov 8, 2012 7:59 pm
I have mine in a mobile enclosure for storage.  If and when necessary, I pull it out, remove the enclosure and fire it up.  Usually once a year.  I only put in enough fuel to run it for about fifteen minutes or so, then let it run out of fuel. 
borat

Reply #14   Nov 8, 2012 8:05 pm
FrankMA wrote:
I thought long and hard about spending the $$$ for a Honda vs. a BB store generator. I lose power so often and for such long periods of time that I decided reliablity, quietness and confidence in the product line when needed was worth the extra dough. I would have bought a lower priced unit if we only lost power for a few hours a few times a year. When I lose power it is generally for a minimum of 3 days to a maximum (so far) of 6 days, except of course for those little blips of an hour or so here and there that most experience. I did end up getting somewhat of deal as I caught a $500.00 off list special offer price on the EM6500SX, $100.00 off the transfer switch and 18 months zero% financing through Honda when I was ready to make my purchase. The special offers eased the pain a bit and losing power for close to 4 days a week ago validated my purchase decision even further.

Did you consider a diesel genset?  This outfit has quite a variety and they're out your way:

http://www.generatorsales.com/
mobiledynamics

Reply #15   Nov 8, 2012 8:29 pm
A next year spring, summer project is to run black pipe to a *outlet* for outdoors and I plan to convert one of my Gensets to tri-fuel

Plenty of natural gas flowing....unlike these crazy long lines or Craigslist $20 per gallon gasoline ads out here in the Northeast
FrankMA

Reply #16   Nov 9, 2012 7:29 am
borat wrote:
Did you consider a diesel genset?  This outfit has quite a variety and they're out your way:

http://www.generatorsales.com/

I did consider going the diesel route but when the special pricing and finance offer from Honda popped up in September, I decided to go with EM6500SX and the Reliance Transfer Switch. The savings on the generator and the transfer switch ended up covering the cost of the transfer switch and close to half the cost to install the transfer switch. My electrician buddy did the install and took good care of me price wise. In the end, I just felt more comfortable and confident going with Honda. I think if I did go the diesel route it would have been with a Kubota model and those are not cheap - not that Honda is inexpensive but less than a Kubota diesel. The whole ball of wax - generator, transfer switch and  installation of the transfer switch cost me $ 3,150.00 vs. approximately $7,500.00 to go the diesel route.

borat

Reply #17   Nov 9, 2012 9:49 am
That is a considerable price difference when you look at initial cost.  What does a transfer switch and installation cost?  Must be pricy.

The efficiency of diesel as well as price of coloured fuel make diesels attractive as well. 

I've owned a 6kw  Kubota for thirty years now and have over 6000 hrs. on it.  Considering that diesel is 30 to 35% more efficient than gasoline, I figure so far,  that  I've burned at a minimum, 1800 liters less diesel fuel than what an eqivalent gasoline power plant would have consumed gasoline.  When you consider the difference in cost between gasoline and coloured diesel, I'd estimate that I've saved probably, at a minimum, $2500.00 in fuel costs alone over the years. 

The little Kubota diesel has been rock solid and has performed flawlessly for three decades now.  I do oil changes ever 150 hours using conventional oil, adjusted the valve lash once and changed one fan belt.  Clean the air filter every so often  and other than that, nothing. 

I also like the safety aspect and storage stability of diesel fuel.  I usually store thirty gallons or so of diesel fuel all winter (six months or more) in a plastic 15 gallon main fuel tank and three more five gallon containers.   Approximate five years after my father in law passed away, my mother-in-law wanted me to clean out her garage.  I found a five gallon container of diesel fuel.  I  opened it up, smelled it, looked at it and it checked out OK  so I took it to camp and dumped it into the main fuel tank.  No problems.  That fuel was likely well over five years and it was fine.  So, long term storage of diesel is an attractive advantage as well. 

You've made an excellent choice for a genset.  If you're not going diesel, Honda's the next best choice.       
This message was modified Nov 9, 2012 by borat
FrankMA

Reply #18   Nov 9, 2012 1:44 pm
borat wrote:
That is a considerable price difference when you look at initial cost.  What does a transfer switch and installation cost?  Must be pricy.

The 10 circuit transfer switch was $600.00 (special offer price was $100.00 off of that) and the installation is usually between $600.00 - $750.00 (my buddy only charged me $250.00). The transfer switch was a complete assembly which included the 10 circuit panel, the plug outlet to feed the transfer switch and a 25' power cord that runs from the generator to the plug outlet. If I had a camp like you and needed a generator to run my power while there, I would definitely go with diesel based on the number of hours that would get racked up. I probably won't log more than 50 - 100 hours per year based on my very intermittent use so it was hard to justify spending at least 2X what I spent on the Honda and transfer switch.

raysmd

Reply #19   Nov 10, 2012 7:51 pm
so, what would you guys get if you live in a fairly large suburban city. 30 miles outside of DC. Looking for a whole house backup generator. 15kW. Diesel or natural gas? Obviously NG is easiest, but I've heard of NG disruptions for the worst case disasters. Unlikely to occur, but possible. I mean if the diesel is left in the tank for years on end 5+ years is it still ok? also, what if the generator was never turned on for 1-2 years?
Moderator Denis

Reply #20   Nov 10, 2012 7:55 pm
Borat you make me laugh a lot with the Chinadiantire!!! I will forwaRD THIS JOKE TO MY PAL who's familiar with the store :) Have a nice winter full of snow and god bless all Denis

Replies: 11 - 20 of 20Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42