Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > mantis tiller start problen

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
bus708

mantis tiller start problen
Original Message   Aug 10, 2012 3:50 pm
I have 2 mantis tillers #1 has a echo SV- 4/b engine serial# 439331 the flywheel has 2 magnets. it starts and runs like a champ #2 has a echo SV-4/b engine serial # 325222 the flywheel has 3 magnets, it has no spark. Both coil packs look the same except my #1 coil looks bigger than my # 2 coil but they mount the same. I took my good coil from my running engine #1 swapped it to my #2 engine . Still no spark. I unplugged the cut off wire from the switch. still no start or spark ECHO says both engines have the same part # for a new coil PN: A411000080. I switched my good coil back to my #1 engine and it runs fine. I do not know what to do to get mt #2 engine to spark. I set to coil as close as i can to the magnets on the flywheel. Any ideas?
Replies: 1 - 2 of 2View as Outline
carlb

Re: mantis tiller start problen
Reply #1   Aug 10, 2012 5:56 pm
since you have no spark with a known good coil i would check to see how strong the magnets are on Engine #2. 

carl
friiy

Re: mantis tiller start problen
Reply #2   Aug 23, 2012 1:57 am
Coils and magnets very rarely go bad. ... Coils will look diffrent depending on who makes them for the engine maker, the supplier may have changed..

The three / two magnet flywheels don't really mean anything, I have read that the third  on newer engines may snap a spark to scavange unburned fuel,  or to advance the timing (I can't lie to you , I don't know what your's is good for-  if anything)...It may not even be used on your motor, It is cheaper to have one plant making flywheels that fit more than one motor/engine

Check for corrosion on the posts that mount the coil, clean the mouting areas witha piece of "Scotch Bright" ...

Did you check the resistance of the secondary on the coil to ground?,  compare it to the running coil.?

It's not mounted upside down is it?

Have you tried to put the "bad" coil on the running unit?

Some coils have a Replaceable resistor in the plug wire cap... (Honda's do and others)... these are placed in the coil to supress radio noise,  these resistors sometimes burn out...

Just a few things to think about,

Good luck,

Friiy

Replies: 1 - 2 of 2View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42