Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Honda vrsYamaha generators

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
bus708

Honda vrsYamaha generators
Original Message   Jul 8, 2012 1:17 pm
I am in the market for a QUIET generator. Do any of you have any of these generators. I got caught without a generator and I had no power for 4 days. I am trying to decide between a Honda and Yamaha . Any thoughts or other recommendations. my main concern is my freezer , fridge, Tv, computer and a few lights. 4 to 6000 watts
Replies: 1 - 2 of 2View as Outline
aa335

Re: Honda vrsYamaha generators
Reply #1   Jul 9, 2012 12:11 pm
bus708 wrote:
I am in the market for a QUIET generator. Do any of you have any of these generators. I got caught without a generator and I had no power for 4 days. I am trying to decide between a Honda and Yamaha . Any thoughts or other recommendations. my main concern is my freezer , fridge, Tv, computer and a few lights. 4 to 6000 watts

If I get one, it will be a Honda.  There are just more dealer support in my area.
borat

Re: Honda vrsYamaha generators
Reply #2   Jul 17, 2012 9:39 am
Dealer support shouldn't be too much of an issue for either make.  Honda and Yamaha are both excellent brands and the likelihood of problems will be minimal with basic maintenance (clean fuel and oil changes).  If I were in the market for an inverter type generator, I'd let the bottom line be the deciding factor.  You can't go wrong with either one. 

I have a friend who bought a Chinese built Boliy generator a few years ago for less than half the price of a Honda or Yamaha.  Other than the valve cover loosening off and seeping oil, it's been working fine.  When he had the oil leak he brought it to me to look at it.  The bolts that hold the valve cover on were only a bit more than finger tight.  While I had it apart, I took a good look at it.  Engine and generator seemed fairly well made.  However, the inverter portion was wired like someone had done it in the dark.  Very sloppy with minimal tie downs.  Not that it really matters as long as everything works and with the cover on, you don't see it.  it will be interesting to see how long it will hold up.  Considering it's used for RV purposes and sees relatively light duty, it should hold up.  For a home emergency unit in a high probability zone, I think I'd rest more easily with a Yamaha or Honda at my disposal rather than the Boliy. 

If I were living in an area with frequent power outages, I'd have a sweet little three cylinder Kubota diesel unit.  For five grand, you can get a 9 KW unit ready to go.  That's not a great deal more than a Yamaha or Honda of half the size.  Noise and portability will be factors.  Kiss portability goodbye unless you have it on a trailer and noise can be managed by putting the power plant in a well ventialted, insulated enclosure such as a small shed as far from the house as possible.  At camp, I have my diesel unit in my garage which is 100+ feet or so from the camp.  You have to strain to hear it with the windows open during summer.  In winter with snow on the ground, you can't hear it at all.  The biggest benefit of a diesel is, minimal maintenance, very long life and excellent fuel to power ratio.  My 6KW unit only consumes one litre of fuel per hour at about 2/3rds full load and that's after 30 years of rock solid service.   

If a situation exists to allow for a diesel to be substituted for gas.  I'd strongly recommend considering it.      
This message was modified Jul 17, 2012 by borat
Replies: 1 - 2 of 2View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42