Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > 2 cycle mantis tiller problem (HELP)

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
bus708

2 cycle mantis tiller problem (HELP)
Original Message   Apr 16, 2012 11:29 am
I have a mantis 2 cycle tiller. it is about 12 or so years old. I NEVER had a problem with it till last week. It starts and runs ok but I must have the choke at least half way in for it to rev up full throttle. I played with the carb adjustments. The stops make it impossible to a gust property, it needs the high to be opened beyond its stop. Do I need to cut or melt the stops out of the way or do I finally need a carb? I always use sea foam through it. The filter in the tank looks clean, I changed the spark plug . Any suggestions?
This message was modified Apr 16, 2012 by bus708
Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
friiy

Re: 2 cycle mantis tiller problem (HELP)
Reply #1   Apr 16, 2012 11:38 am
What type of carb does it have?

Zama or Walbro...?

It most likely needs a diaphram kit.... (pump Diaphram to be precise),  Just put the adjustments back where you found them and get one of the kits off of ebay.

The kits range from 5 to 12 bucks for most and easy to put in...

If that does not work for you, let us know..

Friiy

+

RedOctobyr

Reply #2   Apr 16, 2012 6:36 pm
You will likely need some identifying numbers off the carb, in addition to the carb brand, to order the proper rebuild kit. Maybe Mantis has some parts lists available, based on your model and SN, that could help pinpoint which carb you have.

While installing the kit, I would also clean it out as best you can. But as I learned recently to my dismay, don't spray carb cleaner through the primer bulb area of a Zama diaphragm carb. I think it messed up the two little checkvalves in there, and a replacement part is ~$20.

I know that Zama has published a Tech Guide online which helped me with rebuilding my Zama carb. I would hope Walbro has something similar, to help guide you through the process a bit.
Loblolly77

Reply #3   Apr 17, 2012 9:46 am
try this spray cleaner, as it is safe for plastics and plastic coatings-

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Car/Care/Products/Product-Catalog/Pages/?PC_7_RJH9U5230ONO70I0C3275H2K94000000_nid=XWKP81RRFBgs0C8V1JG8WDglXVQWSJ9Q1Cbl

Also, thank the EPA and Ethanol lobby for the ethanol gasahol that is ruining small engines all over the USA. My dealer shoed me a pile of 50 dead blowers, saws, and trimmers in just 1 year!!

Plan on new fuel filter, fuel lines and like the other posters said, a carb diaphram kit. Also, check the muffler spark screen for carbon blockage, and clean the exhaust port with a wood stick.

borat

Reply #4   Apr 19, 2012 8:58 am
Skip the snake oils and get the carb kit as previously suggested. 

Diaphragms weaken over time and cannot pump fuel.  Before ordering the kit, if it has a pulse line, make sure it's connected  from the engine to the carb and is in good condition.  I.e. no cracks.   Also ensure the carb is tightly fastened to  the engine.  
Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42