Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > storing a portable generator

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
mikiewest

storing a portable generator
Original Message   Mar 12, 2012 8:57 pm
is it better to run the generator once a month or can it be stored until it is needed.I read it should be run monthly under load so the generator head stays magnetized.Is this true?
Replies: 25 - 26 of 26Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
borat

Re: storing a portable generator
Reply #25   Mar 22, 2012 9:38 am
I've hear aircraft guys around here refer to it as "super cooling" the engine.  Shock cooling is probably the same thing.  

Not particularly familiar with the phenomenon.  What's the cause and effect of shock cooling?   I assume it has something to do with shutting the engine down too soon after landing.

RedOct:

A similar but much simpler example of what you're talking about is taking a boiled egg out of the cooling water too soon.  Seems fine at first but is soon too hot to hold.  Simple matter of heat dissipation. 
This message was modified Mar 22, 2012 by borat
friiy

Re: storing a portable generator
Reply #26   Mar 22, 2012 7:48 pm
Shock cooling refers to cooling the outside quicker than the inside,   the outside shinks and splits/cracks over the larger inside..

Friiy

Replies: 25 - 26 of 26Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42