Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Ariens 824 with loose axle

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
MDZ2

Ariens 824 with loose axle
Original Message   Mar 17, 2012 10:38 pm
I have a 7 year old Ariens 824 with drive problems.  I replaced friction disk and that didn't fix issue.  The axle bearings themselves are ok - but they are loose in the opening in the housing.  The gap that exists allows the two gears inside to not contact each other.  If I take the weight off the wheels by supporting from underneath, I can push the axles down, thus making the gears mesh fine.  But the weight of the machine on the wheels during use pushes the axle up in that gap, allowing the gears not to mesh.  Is there a shim or something I can use to take up the space between the outer surface of the axle bearings and the orange housing through which they are mounted ?
Replies: 5 - 9 of 9Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
MDZ2

Re: Ariens 824 with loose axle
Reply #5   Mar 18, 2012 9:12 am
Thanks for your replies.  The model is 932101  -  824.  I'll try to explain more - hopefully with the right terminology.  This involves the axle that the wheels ae mounted to.  The axle passes through a bearing that is part of or within a hexagon shaped outer "nut".  This "nut" sits in the orange housing, in a hexagon shaped hole.  There is no other bearing retainer or fixture.  It's just this hexagon shaped nut in a hexagon shaped hole inthe housing.  Same on both sides.  The hexagon shaped hole has worn, I guess, to be a hole larger than the hexagon shaped "nut" allowing the motion I mentioned above.  The axle itself is nice and tight within this bearing/nut, but it's the nut that moves with respect to the hole in the orange housing.  If I hold the nut down and back in the hole, the gears mesh.  The gap is about 1/8 inch on the top surface of the "nut" and the adjoining next surface of the nut, toward the front of the machine.  Maybe JB Weld to fill that gap? 
Shryp

Reply #6   Mar 18, 2012 9:36 am
I remember this issue coming up before. Unfortunately I don't remember the solution for the other guy. But, basically the frame was "ripping" on his.
jrtrebor

Reply #7   Mar 18, 2012 9:38 am
From looking at the part breakdown.  You just have bushings that are as you say pushed into the housing.  If the steel of the housing that supports those bushings is worn.
There isn't a whole lot you can do other than have a bead of weld added to the hole.  Then reshaping the hole to fit the bushing tightly again.
Or you could make a plate say 2 1/2" square.  Drill out a hole in the center so that the bushing fits tight in the hole.  I realize that the bushing is not round so you would have to drill the
hole smaller and then shape it to fit the bushing.  Then weld the plate to the blower housing over the old worn out hole.  If the hole in housing steel itself is worn away there really isn't an easy fix.
There is one other possible fix that would work that doesn't involve welding.  And that would be to get a pair of flange bearings and mount those to the housing.
Eliminating the bushing setup.  You would just have to get a pair with the correct bearing ID to match your axle OD.  There could also be a clearance issue between the
bearing and the wheel hub.  But that could be resolved by shortening the wheel hub on the inner end.  Just an idea.
JB weld will not fix the problem.  It's hard, tough stuff, but not harder than the steel that has already been worn away.
This message was modified Mar 18, 2012 by jrtrebor
MDZ2

Reply #8   Mar 18, 2012 10:07 am
Thanks for the excellent analysis and bearing link. 
Shryp

Reply #9   Mar 20, 2012 10:00 pm
I sent a PM to the OP with some other links to read of a similar situation someone else was having.
Replies: 5 - 9 of 9Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42