Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > storing a portable generator

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
mikiewest

storing a portable generator
Original Message   Mar 12, 2012 8:57 pm
is it better to run the generator once a month or can it be stored until it is needed.I read it should be run monthly under load so the generator head stays magnetized.Is this true?
Replies: 1 - 10 of 26NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
borat

Re: storing a portable generator
Reply #1   Mar 12, 2012 9:25 pm
Good question. 

I've left my home emergency  generator unfired for a good 18 months.  I fired it up this fall and it was fine. 

I've got a diesel generator at my camp that I leave in storage for six months every year for close to 30 years now.  It always fires up and pumps out juice every spring.  

Maybe there are certain types of generators that have exciters that needs a regular electrical charge.  I don't know.  I'm sure there are people here who probably know.
This message was modified Mar 13, 2012 by borat
robertcoats

Reply #2   Mar 13, 2012 9:17 am
A modern generator is okay to be stored for an extended time. There's really nothing in the mechanical or electrical parts that requires exercise to keep it ready. Keep it dry and out of the weather and it can sit for quite a long time.

The same is not true for fuel. Be sure to drain out all the gasoline (or run it dry) if you don't expect to use it for 30 days or more. Today's gasoline breaks down much faster and debris can quickly form in the fuel system, often clogging up the carburetor and making the generator impossible to start, or run smoothly. To keep fuel handy, store it in a gas can, and recycle it by dumping old fuel (> 45 day old) into your car's fuel tank. Refill the gas can with fresh fuel.

If you have an electric start generator, connect a trickle charger to the battery to keep it ready to go.

Caveat: I work for Honda, but the preceding was my opinion alone.
55utilitysedan

Reply #3   Mar 13, 2012 10:02 am
I have a Coleman/Powermate generator I bought in 1985, I always store it dry (tank and carb.), never had a problem.  This past October with the blizzard and 3 1/2 days with no power it fired right up and got me through. The last time I had used it probably was 7 to 8 years ago, stored dry , covered in my garage. I did switch over to a synthetic oil half way through the last power outage. Since my last usage I have read alot about having to "excite" some units, I guess I must have been lucky during all these years. 
carlb

Reply #4   Mar 13, 2012 12:50 pm
the key to not losing the magnetizem is to disconnect the load on the generator before shutting it down.   Shutting it down with a load connected is a no no
borat

Reply #5   Mar 13, 2012 1:36 pm
carlb wrote:
the key to not losing the magnetizem is to disconnect the load on the generator before shutting it down.   Shutting it down with a load connected is a no no

That makes sense not just for the generator but also whatever might be on at the time of shutdown, such as electronics etc. 

I have a 60 amp main breaker that I always throw before shutting down the power plant.  In all of my years, I've yet to have a problem.
carlb

Reply #6   Mar 13, 2012 3:20 pm
yes electronics and even electric motors wont like it when the engine spools down and the voltage and frequency starts to drop
55utilitysedan

Reply #7   Mar 13, 2012 3:28 pm
  Quite often during my long term outages my generator just runs out of gas......I just go out and fill-er-up again, starts right up and generates. Could running out of gas cause a problem? Sounds like I may be luckier than I think.......
55utilitysedan

Reply #8   Mar 13, 2012 3:31 pm
That is, after it runs out of gas I disconnect it first, fill-er-up, start it up, then reconnect to my system. This is a wonderful site...... 
carlb

Reply #9   Mar 13, 2012 5:56 pm
letting it run out of gas under a load is not good for the gen head or the loads that it is powering.   If you are running out of gas I suggest you go out to the generator when you have at least 1/2hour left of run time, disconnect the loads and shut it down to re-fill.  Some might refill it with the engine running but you are taking a big chance if you spill gas on the muffler or exhaust.  

The other option is installing a larger fuel tank.
55utilitysedan

Reply #10   Mar 13, 2012 6:52 pm
Roger the good suggestions carib, I will do a better job of filling before running out. All this good info/input is well advised. Just never knew or heard that a shut down because of  gas shortage could be a problem. I will heed this word to the wise............thank you for the tip...... 
Replies: 1 - 10 of 26NextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42