Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Used Power Clear

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
House01

Used Power Clear
Original Message   Feb 27, 2012 2:31 am
I will go look at/buy a used Toro Power Clear 38585 tomorrow. This is the model with the 195cc OHV Tecumseh 4 stroke. I'm told that it runs well and the paddles and scrapper are in good shape. It will have been through 4 or 5 winters.
What should I look for when I inspect the machine?
How do I tell if the paddles/scrapper are in good shape?
Are there trouble spots to watch for on this model?

I have been able to find almost no user reviews on the 38585 and found some information that it was primarily sold in Europe. However, the specks lead me to believe that it should perform similarly to the current 621.

Thanks in advance.
Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
jrtrebor

Re: Used Power Clear
Reply #1   Feb 27, 2012 8:27 am
In doing some searching it appears that the  model 38585 is probably a 421Q.  The 621 has a different model number.
It should start easily and idle/run well.  A few primes and a few pulls.  Paddles should be close to, or touching the ground.  I'm assuming they are going to be worn.
The 4 or 5 winters use only helps if you know what kind of winters they were.  A lot of snow, or not so much.  How much clearing was being done with
the blower with each snow.  These are good blowers and will usually last quite a while if you keep good scrappers and paddles on them.
Price is always the big factor.
aa335

Reply #2   Feb 27, 2012 9:50 am
The Toro Power Clear 38585 is a 421Q, one of the early 421Q models with the Tecumseh 4 stroke engine.    I think they were mostly European and Canadian model, for emission reasons.  There are not many reviews on this model, but those who reviewed it found it was down on power and noisy, compared to the 221Q with the 2-stroke engine.  Approximately two years after the 421Q first came out, the Tecumseh engine was changed over to a Loncin 163cc OHV engine, there has been a noticeable improvement in power, despite going with a smaller displacement.  This same Loncin engine is now powering all the current 621 models.

I don't think there are any reported problems with the 38585 model.  Things to check for is the wear on the rubber auger.  There is wear indicator on the auger itself, it is a small hole about 3/16" in diameter.   If the rubber auger is worn through, you won't see them.  The paddles should always make contact with the ground.  This Toro's unique design, the rubber always touch the pavement.  Other single stage snowblowers, you have to tip the machine forward slightly to allow the rubber auger to make contact.  As far as scraper bar, there should be enough material on it to keep the metal side plates off the ground.  The wear should be even left to right.  The scraper bar is spring loaded and should pivot up and down slightly without binding.  Anyways, if these parts need to be replaced, I think it's about $60-$80, are very easy to replace.  I would also inspect the metal bucket and the side plates, check for excessive dents, scrapes, and rust.  In addition, check the metal rotor that the rubber auger is mounted on, make sure it hasn't bent from hitting something hard.  It will go out of balance, cause undue wear on the rubber, and have reduced snow throwing performance.

Anyways, the design is the snowblower is good, but I rather look for a newer 421Q with the Loncin engine or the current 621 models if you are after higher performance.  Otherwise, the Tecumseh powered 421Q is kinda of rare, but too new to achieve cult or collector status.
House01

Reply #3   Feb 27, 2012 9:44 pm
jrtrebor and aa335,

That was exactly the information I was looking for. I need all of the power I can get from a single stage, so going with one of the first attempts by Toro at a 4 stroke was making me nervous. The quick shoot control and price ($175) almost seduced me, but I've decided to take a pass without making the drive down for an in person evaluation.
Here is the listing:
http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/dak/grd/2872213649.html
I'm sure it could be a good deal for someone, but the paved area around my garage is almost completely boxed in so I need all the distance I can get. I had been leaning strongly towards an Ariens 24" or 28" two stage, but I've decided to give a single stage a try.
I'll keep my eyes open for an end of season deal on a new or recent used Toro. I might also consider a Honda 621 based on some of the things I have read.
Thanks again!
aa335

Reply #4   Feb 28, 2012 10:13 am
$175 is a good price for that machine.  It seems to be in very good condition.

Anyways, the lack of snow this year has really slumped sales of snowblowers.   Maybe try your local Toro dealers to see what kind of sales they can offer on a 621QZ.  They probably need to move snowblowers to make room for lawn mowers.
This message was modified Feb 28, 2012 by aa335
Replies: 1 - 4 of 4View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42