Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Toro CCR 2000, no spark from plug wire

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Denny

Toro CCR 2000, no spark from plug wire
Original Message   Dec 12, 2007 8:14 pm
I turned the key on and have no spark from the plug or even the plug wire when turning over the engine

How do I know if it is the coil magneto or the xstar module magneto?

It is a model 38180

Replies: 69 - 77 of 77Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
tomc585

Re: Toro CCR 2000, no spark from plug wire
Reply #69   Feb 16, 2012 3:20 pm
I was wondering why the service manual list the same engine, 47P, for both my ccr2000's but yet they are different.
broncman

Reply #70   Mar 2, 2012 12:47 am
Well, its finally over guys!!  I waited and waited and found a coil and module used on ebay for a real good price ($30).  I removed the second coil upon which I had attached the new spark plug wire.  In its place, I installed the new ebay coil and gapped 'er to .011.  I attached the module to the rewind starter cowling.  Now this module is one of the original gold colored modules.  I gapped the plug to .030.  I did not even check for spark at this point.  I figured it sparks, great.  If not, the machine is going next to the garbage can for the local scrappers to pick up.  I then put everything else back together and hauled it upstairs from the basement to the garage.

In the garage, I plugged in the electric starter...here goes nothing.  She fired up!!!  and stayed fired up!!!   It was however surging rather badly but at least it was running. Not enough fuel I thought.   I went back to the computer and searched for surging CCR 2000's.  Some said to rebuild the carb (which I had done already).  Others mentioned that there is one adjusting screw on the carb.  I took a look at that on the CCR 2000 carb.  Normally I (as a rule) set low and high idle screws 1 to 1 1/2 turn out.  This adjusting screw I had originally set 1 and 1/2 turns out.  I turned the screw a little further out so that it was about 2 or 2 and 1/2 turns out from a seated position.  No surging at all.  Runs like a dream...hums like a bee! 

Thank you guys for all you help, suggestions, and input.  I appreciate it very much.
trouts2

Reply #71   Mar 2, 2012 6:56 am
   You cured it, nice going. 

If I read the post right the problem could have been the coil or module as both were replaced.    If the coil then that meant the original went bad, the replacement went bad and the fixed coil bad, all in the same way.  The same for the module.  The first was defective and the replacement defective both in the same way.  Given the way things happened it almost seems the first replacement module was defective in the same way as the original.   Overall a nasty problem with some bad Karma mixed in. 

tomc585

Reply #72   Mar 6, 2012 12:31 pm
Another success story here. After trying a used module (no known condition) I sprang for an ebay mega fire II ($18 shipped). Just spun it by hand a the spark was brighter then a super nova. Guess I'll be winterizing it and wait till next year. Looks like Long Island is getting an early spring. Thanks for the helpful info.
borat

Reply #73   Mar 7, 2012 11:22 am
Nice.

That only took what?  Three months?  

Electrical problems can be a nightmare.  Particularly of parts being interchanged are of "unknown" status. 
micah68kj

Reply #74   Dec 1, 2012 8:09 pm
Hello all,
New to forum. Just joined.
I want to thank you all for this forum and especially this particular thread. I bought one of these Toro CCR 2000 snow blowers from a guy on craigslist. It is a 1995 mdl 38180 w/ the Suzuki engine. It looks as if it has hardly been used. Not a speck of rust and the engine is extremely clean. It had a no fire issue. I got it for a really good price.
I googled "Toro CCR 2000 no fire" and found this forum.
I read about halfway through this thread and ordered a Mega Fire ll. Before I ordered it I just gave everything a kind of going over. I took the engine out and looked at the coil and set the air gap at 0.010. Kind of looked over the wires but I just knew there was nothing wrong there. Put the engine in a vise and fabbed a pull rope to see if it was doing anything. I felt a weak shock was all.
Long story short I took the ignition module off and put the whole thing back together and waited for the new module. It came today and I had the snow blower running in just a few minutes. It started on the very first pull.
Thanks again!
Joe
borat

Reply #75   Dec 2, 2012 10:13 am
Good for you and welcome to the forum.

You got a good SS machine there.  Take care of that Suzuki engine and you'll have it a very long time.  Check your belt for tension and check your engine rpms (should be around 4000 or so).  If all is good, it should throw snow impressively if the paddles are in good shape.
bignick

Reply #76   Dec 23, 2012 6:40 pm
My Toro CCR 2000 worked great the first snow storm of the year, then a couple of weeks ago it wouldn't start. Frustrating is an understatement. It's snowing like crazy with over 8" down already, cold and blowing with no end in sight. I start taking the blower apart and can't get spark. I try a new plug and no cigar. I finally take the shrouding completely off, remove the gas tank pull starter assy and fan shroud. The flywheel magnets are strong and the air gap to the coil looks ok. I'm betting it's the module so I ordered one off Ebay for $17 shipped to my house. I quickly wired it up with neg ground and turned the crank cup by hand. I got a good spark so I assembled the whole thing back together. Filled it with gas and it started with the first pull. I'd like to thank those with previous posts for steering me in the right direction. As I recall motors using ignitions like these in the past used condensers and I believe the module serves this purpose. I'd bet a condenser may work just as well.
RTR1

Reply #77   Jan 17, 2017 8:35 pm
Thank you all for your input to this subject.  I realize this is an old discussion, but the following is offered with the hope that it will help at least one other person.

My machine:  CCR2000, Model # 38180, S/N 39_ _ _ _ _, 1993 vintage.  Prices for parts varied by supplier, but here is a typical quote.  Magneto Coil $213, Magneto Module $124.

I was experiencing the same issue (no spark) and found several good pointers in the responses herein.  My experience:

I had checked the magneto coil's secondary and primary winding resistances with a digital auto ranging meter.  Primary (low voltage) measured a 1.5 ohms.  Secondary (high voltage) winding measured many mega ohms.  Following the advice in one of the submissions above, I checked the connection in the spark plug boot and found it was corroded.  Cut the end off, made a new connection and measured 10k ohms.  With a smile I hoped it would fire up.  Not so lucky, still no spark!

With good resistance readings, the coil appeared to be healthy, which left he "magneto module," as it is referenced by Toro.  I didn't know a way to diagnose the module, so I ordered a universal module from Oregon (#33-053) for $14.71.  Installed the module and runs like a champ.  Storm to arrive tomorrow so just in time.

Thank you all.
Replies: 69 - 77 of 77Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42