Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Ariens ST724 won't drive

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
nipper

Ariens ST724 won't drive
Original Message   Jan 22, 2012 5:40 pm
Hi-

I have an Ariens ST724 (model 924075), which has stopped powering forward when I press the drive clutch lever. I took off the bottom cover to see if it was something fairly easy to repair/replace, like a belt, and I found a broken spring lying in the cover.  I'm guessing this is the root of my problem! I can't really afford to bring it to a shop, so I was hoping to be able to fix it myself.  Here are a couple of details:

• The auger seems to keep moving now, even when I release the clutch lever.
  • For a while after it stopped powering forward, it DID work in reverse, but no longer does.

Here is a picture of the broken spring and the drive plate, etc.:

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Nipper

Replies: 10 - 16 of 16Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
carlb

Re: Ariens ST724 won't drive
Reply #10   Feb 11, 2012 2:46 pm
The spring needs to attach to the arm on the drive pulley (left hand side in your photo and closest to the engine)and attach to the right hand side of the snow blower when viewed from the front.  There should be a hole or slot where the spring can attach to the snow blower frame. You should be able to find a replacement spring at any hardware or big box store. 

That is certainly the problem with you snow blower drive.
Shryp

Reply #11   Feb 11, 2012 3:33 pm
Here is a picture of my Ariens.  You can see the spring in the bottom left.  I don't think I have any clearer pictures of it.  I think there is a hole in the idler arm and the other hole is in the V shaped reinforcement plate.

nipper

Reply #12   Feb 11, 2012 3:55 pm
Alright - I think there's a light at the end of the tunnel!  I'll give this a go and see what happens.  Thanks, guys.
carlb

Reply #13   Feb 11, 2012 6:10 pm
Shryp,

Is the spring on you snow blower below the pivot point?
jrtrebor

Reply #14   Feb 11, 2012 6:51 pm
One end of that spring hooks in a hole in the bottom of the arm for the "drive" idler pulley.
The other end of the spring looks in a hole in the side of the housing just above the right wheel axle.  It's just a hole or slot.  You will be able to see the end of the spring hook on the outside of the housing
above the right axle after you install it.  It is possible to get the spring put back on without taking the blower housing off but it's a tight fit.
There is no linkage to move the idler pulley for the "drive" belt tension.  The "drive" belt idler pulley is always in contact with the belt.  It is always under tension.  Unlike the idler pulley for the "blower"
belt.  That pulley is only in contact with the belt when you depress the handle.  When you release the handle the pulley pulls away from the belt and the blower (impeller and auger) stop spinning.
If you try and pull the idler pulley for the "drive" belt away from the belt you should feel a lot of tension.  That is, if the spring is in place and working.  If you grab the pulley and it moves easily
away from the belt.  The spring is not in place.  And that is why the drive system is not working.  The belt is simply slipping around the pulley's.
This message was modified Feb 11, 2012 by jrtrebor
nipper

Reply #15   Feb 12, 2012 10:34 pm
trouts2

Reply #16   Apr 19, 2019 1:06 pm

I have a similar problem drive problem with an old Ariens 724.  The factory numbers are rubbed off but 924028’ish. 

I put in a hardware store tensioner spring last year but it fell out on the first storm so no drive.  I have other machines so sidelined it until warm weather.  I forgot how I installed it so back to Abby’s and found the answer. 

Nice post so I’ll get the spring placed in a few days.  I remember most of the posters so know it’s reliable info.     I learned a ton on Abby’s over the years.  Where is Borat these days?

Replies: 10 - 16 of 16Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42