Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Analog dial tachometer

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
aa335

Analog dial tachometer
Original Message   Feb 9, 2012 12:22 pm
Has anyone connected an analog dial tachometer to their snowblower?  I'm asking since the little electronic tach have terrible lag and with small display which makes it difficult to read, wouldn't an large dial tachometer allow you to see it better and to get a feel at what your max torque or HP is occuring? 
Replies: 1 - 3 of 3View as Outline
Greg13

Re: Analog dial tachometer
Reply #1   Feb 10, 2012 7:00 pm
It's not really a lag, what happens in a digital readout is it needs a consistent signal to display. During acceleration the signal changes too fast to display with most inexpensive tachs. The more expensive tachs. require fewer "samples" to display a reading. Analog tachs. actually show real time sampling readings on the meter as they happen, but the true accuracy may not be there.
aa335

Reply #2   Feb 13, 2012 12:33 pm
I would prefer the tachometer to be little bit off actual RPM but responds fast enough to the changes in engine speed.   Displaying 3612 RPM isn't exactly useful if the reading is 2.5 seconds old.  It's like having a radar detector that can pinpoint the exact location of a squad car, but takes 30 seconds.
This message was modified Feb 13, 2012 by aa335
relics

Reply #3   Feb 18, 2012 11:38 pm
For use on a snow blower i do not find the lag to be a big deal.I know i have my max rpm set at 3600.If i run in 12 inches of snow for a few feet i am going to know my sag rpm.Than from there its easy to know what would be the most rpm you can manage under that load.If anything the tach will give you a good idea what condition a engine is in.A lot of the older 4 strokes if i remember correctly made there max torque at around 2800 rpm.
Replies: 1 - 3 of 3View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42