Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > A little survey: Are you a planner or procrastinator?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
aa335

A little survey: Are you a planner or procrastinator?
Original Message   Feb 8, 2012 1:05 pm
Do you buy snowblowers early in the season in preparation for a big snowy winter?  If you are, you're a planner.

Do you hold off buying snowblowers until after a big snowstorm to make your purchase?  If you are, you're a procastinator.
Replies: 14 - 20 of 20Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
TomP

Once you go Mac you never go back!

Re: A little survey: Are you a planner or procrastinator?
Reply #14   Feb 9, 2012 11:50 am
aa335 wrote:
Single Stage Snowblower Acquisition Syndrone as I call it. 

So that is what I have. Planner on the two stage and first single stage. SSSAS on the rest. At least I know something will start when needed.

Snow Team:

Simplicity 1060 DLXE - Toro Snow Commander / 3650 - Honda HS520
FrankMA

Reply #15   Feb 9, 2012 12:52 pm
Ahhh, let's see - I have one 2 stage and four SS stage machines at the moment and I too am looking for a 7HP Ariens SS. I guess I qualify for benefits under the definition of SSSAS.....
This message was modified Feb 10, 2012 by FrankMA

Toro Wheel Horse 522xi GT, Honda HS928TA, Honda HS621AS, Honda HS520A, Toro CCR3000 (work in progress), Honda HS624WA (sold 08/23/2010), Stihl BR550 Backpack Blower, Stihl MS250, McCulloch MS1635, Honda EM6500SX Generator
RedOctobyr

Reply #16   Feb 9, 2012 12:55 pm
aa335 wrote:
Single Stage Snowblower Acquisition Syndrone as I call it.  ...  But all my purchases are planned, I knew what I was after and kept an open eye when something good came up.  I have to say that not having snow has made my SSSAS more severe, although still managable.   Anyways, having this support group made me feel that I'm not alone.  :) 

Good name for it. Though I'm not sure this qualifies as a support group; this may, instead, be encouraging the behavior "Everyone else is buying more machines / SS's!" I know I would have fewer machines around were it not for reading here. Not knowing about boratification would have reduced the count by one, anyways

I prefer to plan. But I also always want to have a machine to fall back to. I won't sell all my current one before finding the kind of replacement I'm looking for (on CL). I could get caught with nothing, that way. I try to get the new one first, then sell the old machine.
aa335

Reply #17   Feb 9, 2012 3:02 pm
RedOctobyr wrote:
Good name for it. Though I'm not sure this qualifies as a support group; this may, instead, be encouraging the behavior "Everyone else is buying more machines / SS's!" I know I would have fewer machines around were it not for reading here. Not knowing about boratification would have reduced the count by one, anyways

You're at SSSAS 1, simply means you have one more SS than you really need.  Your condition is benign, very good chance to easily downgrade to SSSAS 0.  However, if you feel you need to advance to SSAS 2, you have my support. 
This message was modified Feb 9, 2012 by aa335
RedOctobyr

Reply #18   Feb 9, 2012 3:31 pm
Ha, I like it, also assigning ratings. So I'm at SSSAS 1 and 2SSAS 1. If we'd ever get some snow, to stimulate some interest, I could hopefully return to 0's.... And then perhaps not feel as bad about keeping an eye out for *another* upgrade over what I have

Honestly, I do kind of enjoy working on OPE, it can be gratifying to get them running, or running better, etc. And buying something that doesn't work, getting it running, and perhaps selling it, then parlaying that into a better machine, or one more suited to what you need, is something that has worked out nicely for me a few times. I am not compelled to amass a fleet (what are a herd of snowblowers called? a roar of snowblowers?) . I want a good, reliable machine that does what I need, for the different categories (tractor, mower, chainsaw, snowblower, etc).
trouts2

Reply #19   Feb 10, 2012 8:00 am
Red: "What did you settle on for a 2-stage, if you have a favorite?"

Tough one.  It's looking like a Honda 928 would be a perfect fit here either track or wheeled.   I've been looking for one for about a year.  The place holders until I find one are Honda 828 track, Yamaha 828 track and Yamaha 624 wheeled.  All three got worked on and waiting for snow for testing.   The Honda 828 got a better bucket, the Yamaha drive and governor re-worked and the 624 got a rebuilt engine.  I don't want to part with them until I get a chance to use them so frustrated with the no snow this year. 

aa335

Reply #20   Feb 10, 2012 12:08 pm
RedOctobyr wrote:

Honestly, I do kind of enjoy working on OPE, it can be gratifying to get them running, or running better, etc. And buying something that doesn't work, getting it running, and perhaps selling it, then parlaying that into a better machine, or one more suited to what you need, is something that has worked out nicely for me a few times. I am not compelled to amass a fleet (what are a herd of snowblowers called? a roar of snowblowers?) . I want a good, reliable machine that does what I need, for the different categories (tractor, mower, chainsaw, snowblower, etc).

Same here.  It's pretty relaxing to work on them.  I just got my Powerlite cleaned up, put in new paddles and scraper bar.  It should be running in top form now.  Just waiting for some serious snow to see how this little puppy performs.  It's my little Mazda Miata of snowblowers.  Cheap, light, and fun.
This message was modified Feb 10, 2012 by aa335
Replies: 14 - 20 of 20Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42