Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Oil change for snowblower

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
mikiewest

Oil change for snowblower
Original Message   Feb 8, 2012 2:20 pm
Does the oil need to be changed every year on a snowblower ?does it matter if synthetic oil is used ?
Replies: 1 - 3 of 3View as Outline
carlb

Re: Oil change for snowblower
Reply #1   Feb 8, 2012 3:31 pm
Yes change the oil every year, doesn't matter Dino or synthetic
aa335

Reply #2   Feb 8, 2012 4:32 pm
Changed oil every year if the machine gets more than 10 hours running time.  If less than 10 hours, I'll change it the next year.  If I forget when I changed the oil last, I just go ahead and change it.  :)  I don't have a strict regiment oil change, but always make sure there's oil in the crank case. 

I only use Dino oil now.  There's so little oil used so cost difference between synthetic and dyno is insignifcant, but there's really no benefit to use synthetic for my OPE.  They all starts up fine, no more difficult with dyno oil.  Ran just fine, no noticeable increase in performance when using synthetic.  I'm older and wiser so I am immune to synthetic oil placebo effect.  Fresh dyno oil in the crankcase is better than old contaminated synthetic oil. 
This message was modified Feb 8, 2012 by aa335
borat

Reply #3   Feb 8, 2012 5:08 pm
if I don't get 25 hours on the oil, I'll leave it in for multiple seasons.  Last year, the simplicity might have gotten two hours use.  This year less than an hour.  There's no reason to change perfectly good oil.  I don't use synthetic either.  Total waste of money if it isn't used for it's intended purpose and that is extended oil change intervals and or extremely hot operating conditions.  Nothing I own sees that kind of torture.  As AA335 says, better off changing conventional oil when required than leaving well used synthetic in for ten years.   The panic about condensation/acid build up in the oil is bovine feces.  If water doesn't get into the crankcase from draining in from an exterior source, the amount of condensation will be insignificant, if at all.  All one has to do if leaving oil in for more than one season is to run the engine until it reaches operating temperature and use it or let it stay running for a couple minutes.  Air cooled engine oil temperatures far exceed the boiling point of water.  In the very unlikely event that moisture has condensed in the crankcase, it will be cooked off. 

Use a good quality 5W30 conventional oil and change it as per your manuals hourly use recommendation.  The engine will probably outlast you.
This message was modified Feb 8, 2012 by borat
Replies: 1 - 3 of 3View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42