Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Snowblower First Oil Change

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
anthdan

Snowblower First Oil Change
Original Message   Feb 1, 2012 6:43 am
I recently purchased a Toro 621 QZE and have only used it for about 1/2 hour - two light snows and had to try it.  I was considering leting it idle for another 1/2 hour this weekend and changing the oil since the temperature is supposed to be 40 degrees.  Don't really want to change the oil in 20 degree weather.  The manual since the first change should be at 2 hours.  Would it be ok to do this and then change it again in the spring?
Replies: 1 - 5 of 5View as Outline
carlb

Re: Snowblower First Oil Change
Reply #1   Feb 1, 2012 8:34 am
Changing the oil now is fine but, I don't like to let a new run at idle for long periods of time.  New engines need to be worked, not overworked, for a bit so that the rings will seat properly.  Letting an engine idle can cause the cylinder to glaze and not allow the rings to seat properly. I do like to change the oil in my engines after it has been running for a bit so the contaminates are in suspension and not sitting in the sump.  At this point I would probably not change the oil and hope for more snow, use the snow blower and change the oil when you are done.  If you don't use it again this winter just change it in the spring/summer.

Carl
borat

Reply #2   Feb 1, 2012 9:44 am
Work it and work it hard for the first couple hours.  On and off engine loading is most beneficial for breaking in engine components.   Every new engine I've bought from motorcycles to OPE were broken in hard and they're all running strong with no oil consumption other than one, my B&S 305cc Kool Bore snow blower engine.  However, it's a great performing engine with lots of compression and power but it likes to sip oil.  Particularly synthetic oil.  I switched back to conventional 5W30 and oil consumption has dropped but not completely.  Break in method had nothing to do with the oil consumption.  It's just the nature of the beast.
aa335

Reply #3   Feb 1, 2012 9:55 am
borat wrote:
Work it and work it hard for the first couple hours.  On and off engine loading is most beneficial for breaking in engine components. 

I follow this same technique.  I don't baby new engines, I run them aggressively but not abuse it.  If you break in an engine lazily, it will run lazily.
anthdan

Reply #4   Feb 1, 2012 6:38 pm
Thanks for the advice.  I will wait for more snow and then change the oil
FrankMA

Reply #5   Feb 1, 2012 6:51 pm
anthdan wrote:
Thanks for the advice.  I will wait for more snow and then change the oil

You might have to wait until next winter the way this one is going...

Toro Wheel Horse 522xi GT, Honda HS928TA, Honda HS621AS, Honda HS520A, Toro CCR3000 (work in progress), Honda HS624WA (sold 08/23/2010), Stihl BR550 Backpack Blower, Stihl MS250, McCulloch MS1635, Honda EM6500SX Generator
Replies: 1 - 5 of 5View as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42