Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Boratified MTD 5.5hp 21inch HSK850

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
trouts2

Boratified MTD 5.5hp 21inch HSK850
Original Message   Jan 28, 2012 1:06 pm
    The results of Borats Craftman seem pretty good even in comparison to the newer Toro's with 141cc engines and curved paddles runing stock rpm.  I gave up on MTD straight paddles a few years ago so stopped buying them. BUT given the good showing of Borats machine decided to give an HSK850 a fling for which a cheap MTD or Murray is a good candidate.

This morning I picked up an MTD 5.5 in excellent shape, (mostly) for $100.   The body is excellent, no rust no scratches but the inside of the bucked has the paint scrapped.  The guys 3 car lot was sand and gravel with mounds and holes.  It's electric start, 4-5 years old but only used for two seasons due the owners heart condition. 

It came with a line cord and for some reason three brand new belts, a bottle of Sta-Bil and a gallon and a half can of gas half full.  His son gave it to him with a bottle of Sta-Bil which he thought was the mix required.   He only ran it with Sta-Bil, no oil and from what he tells me only ran about slightly less than a gallon of gas through it since he got it.  He claimed that one can of gas half full he gave me was the only fuel he ever bought for it.  

It fired up on the first pull and seemed to run strong so I ignored the no oil part and bought it.  It gets 95psi compression on three rope pulls and 115 on electric start so seems ok. 

Borat,

I'd like to compare the flat paddle section of this one to yours.  If you can please measure your mid-paddle section flats.  What's the L and W of one section and what's the distance front to back?  The MTD is (2) 1 3/4 x 4 1/4 sections and the front to back span is 8 1/4.  If they match then the MTD should compare your Murray with booted RPM.  I've got an excellent condition Toro 3650 I'm using this year so have a good machine to compare with.

Replies: 12 - 21 of 21Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
RedOctobyr

Re: Boratified MTD 5.5hp 21inch HSK850
Reply #12   Jan 29, 2012 2:05 pm
trouts2, excellent points:
- You're probably right on the mystery hole on my machine. Mine does not have electric start, but it was an option. That must be what the hole's for, thanks.

- Tachs: I'll admit I'm not quite sure what the connector that you're talking about is for. But my Tiny Tach type device has 2 wires, one that you ground to the engine, and a wire that you wrap around the spark plug wire. You reminded me of something I'd been thinking about before, along the lines of what you described. Perhaps I could wrap another wire around the plug wire, and run that out to somewhere accessible. Then, to check the RPM's, I might be able to wrap the tach wire around *that* one. I don't know if that would work, however, since the tach would not actually be wrapped around the plug wire.

- Definitions: The dangerous verb would be to over-boratify. Something along the lines of "I boratified my machine to 6000 and I loved it. So I decided to try for 9000, and over-boratified it. Now I have a hole in the block" Kids, boratifying is done by trained professionals in a controlled environment, and should not be attempted without adult supervision. boratifying involves risk, past performance is not necessarily indicative of future results; may cause dry mouth, sweaty palms, envious neighbors, and childlike glee as the snow flies further than it ever has before. Consult a medical professional if symptoms persist more than 4 hours.

borat, that's a good question. Realistically, the higher RPM's will increase the wear on the engine (higher inertial loads), add to vibration, possibly start to take their toll on motor mounts, cause more wear on the belt as it engages, use more gas, more noise, etc. My manual makes note that the brake must be adjusted to stop the paddles within 5 seconds or something. The higher speeds would increase the time it takes for everything to stop. These are at least some of the "theoretical" drawbacks, I couldn't say whether any of them are actually significant (eg- maybe the lifespan of the engine goes from 800 hours to 700 hours, and no one will ever care). And I'm willing to replace a belt more often if it means much better performance, gas usage is very small anyhow, etc, so many of us might be OK with those tradeoffs. But then again the people here tend to be more of  "enthusiasts" vs the general public.

It's certainly an interesting question as to whether they avoided adding a throttle to try and stay away from cannibalizing 2-stage sales. One argument could be that an appeal of a SS is its simplicity and lack of controls. So it's friendly to use. Do these 2 things to start it, then just squeeze this handle. Less intimidating than the multiple levers and handles on my 2-stage, I suppose. Add a throttle, and you start to get away from that slightly. You'd have to set the throttle such that the default was a normal snow-blowing speed, and you could also squeeze it to rev even faster. You couldn't do it like a chainsaw, where no throttle input means very little happens.

Actually, as I type this, I think I saw someone make mention of an old (60's-70's?) machine their family owned which had kind of an "extra power" button or lever. You used that, and you'd get a little more out of the engine. It might have been on a SS, I don't recall. So perhaps some company did try something along those lines?
trouts2

Reply #13   Jan 29, 2012 4:07 pm
>>>Perhaps I could wrap another wire around the plug wire, and run that out to somewhere accessible.

That's it.  I got lengths of hookup wire 6 feet long.   One end of that wire wrapped around the plug.  The other end ran up the handlebars.    A simllar wire was run from ground to the handlebars.   The tack wires got the mating connectors.  The tach could be detached and moved from machine to machine.  The tach did not get mounted perminantly.  Each time it was just put on the machine dash, plugged in and taped down.   Four machines were setup that way so one tach could be moved around.  I had a few tachs and some machines got "perminant" mounts and others connect wires only. I did not like leaving the tach out all winter. 

Vanilla hookup wire is not shielded and engines can generate electrical noise of many frequencies that could interfere with the plug signals.   I also tried some Belden shielded signal wire which was very small like 20 but it did not improve response time. 

What you need is a nice warm afternoon, open up the SS and install the wire.  Give the wire around the plug 4-5 tight wraps and electrical tape over that.  Then run it up the handlebars.   The harder part is planting the gauge where it will stay, not vibrate off and be easily removable.  One possibility is to get some thin aluminum plate about the size of the gauge and form it to an L  with foot of the L part just larger than the thickness of the gauge.  Drill a hole in the L foot and another through the handlebars at the side.  Bolt on the L and epoxy velcro on the tall section of the L and the back of the gauge. 

borat

Reply #14   Jan 29, 2012 5:05 pm
I put a Tach lead on my Toro  machine as well while I had the cover off.  Way too much work removing the cover to not do it.  I didn't leave a wire on the Craftsman or MTD because it's not all that important once the lower rpm is set.  It's not much more than an idle on those two.  On the Toro however, being set at a fixed rpm is where the machine works.  Hence the necessity to ensure it's set right.   I made  a couple wraps around the spark plug lead then used a small tie wrap to keep it there.   See pic below.  No sure why the picture is so big.  I resized it to 400 x400????

Took the picture out.  It was screwing up Trout's post.

One thing that I wanted to re-iterate is the point of ensuring the oil ratio is changed to deal with the added load on the engine.  I've always been a believer in using a bit more oil than less.   Two cycles are hard working engines and have scant amounts of lubrication running through them.  Despite the fact that lower oil to fuel ratios will work, you can rest assured that a bit more oil will enhance performance and durability.  Particularly when the engine is being run beyond the normal parameters of the engine's operation.  Not that I'm all that worried about the engine's durability.    Four thousand rpm, in my opinion is not much more than a lively idle for any decent two cycle engine. I believe the HSK850 is designed and built well enough to handle far more than the 4000 rpm lope of a snow blower.    

This message was modified Jan 29, 2012 by borat
longboat

Reply #15   Jan 30, 2012 10:01 am
RedOctobyr wrote:
... One argument could be that an appeal of a SS is its simplicity and lack of controls. So it's friendly to use. Do these 2 things to start it, then just squeeze this handle. Less intimidating than the multiple levers and handles on my 2-stage, I suppose. Add a throttle, and you start to get away from that slightly. You'd have to set the throttle such that the default was a normal snow-blowing speed, and you could also squeeze it to rev even faster. You couldn't do it like a chainsaw, where no throttle input means very little happens. ...

I think you hit the nail on the head there.  Mfrs. are always looking for ways to dumb down their products - saves them many phone calls/rma's from idiots trying to figure out how/when to operate throttles, etc.

The other issue is, I would guess, emissions regulations.  I think even OPE is regulated somewhat, and probably even more in the near future, and that is why throttles are locked on most new OPE.  The mfr. can reduce emissions significantly if they allow the engine to run at only one speed.  They can also maximize fuel efficiency for that one engine speed, and that helps out their emissions issues, too. 

aa335

Reply #16   Jan 30, 2012 11:02 am
This is very interesting discussion, something to break the snowless conundrum this winter.  I think in a way its good to stir up interest in the Tecumseh 2 stroke engines.  There are on the MTD, Craftsman, Murray machines that have been the underdog in the SS market.  This would definitely bring up prices on the used market.  It would be interesting how these free revving 2 stroke engines when mated to a modern SS design such as the Toro would perform.

By the way, I'm looking into getting one of these Tecumseh powered machines.  It's hard not to be in acquisition mode when hanging around here.
This message was modified Jan 30, 2012 by aa335
RedOctobyr

Reply #17   Jan 30, 2012 11:08 am
longboat wrote:
The other issue is, I would guess, emissions regulations.  I think even OPE is regulated somewhat, and probably even more in the near future, and that is why throttles are locked on most new OPE.  The mfr. can reduce emissions significantly if they allow the engine to run at only one speed.  They can also maximize fuel efficiency for that one engine speed, and that helps out their emissions issues, too. 

Good point. OPE is definitely regulated already, and has been for probably ~10 years, hence no mixture screw adjustments on most carbs nowadays. God forbid you are able to adjust your machine so it runs right

And I'd forgotten about another throttle->no throttle scenario. Mowers from the 80's, let's say, had throttles, at least many of the 3.5hp Briggs-powered ones I remember. But my Craftsman walk-behind, which is probably about 15 years old, has no throttle or choke, just a primer button. My Lawn Boy was the same way (well, I think maybe it had a two position control tucked away down by the air filter, but I always ran at the faster position). I don't know if good machines have throttles now; I want to say many do not.

I guess we should be glad our 2-stage snowblowers still have throttles. Enjoy that while it lasts.
borat

Reply #18   Jan 30, 2012 12:18 pm
Around these parts, SS machines are a rarity. 

Last year and this year, I was/am vigilantly watching ads for used SS machines on Kijiji.  Only four machines were listed last year.  One was a Toro CCR2000/3000, can't remember which, nonetheless, the woman selling it was asking a ridiculous price so I passed on it and bought an brand new Toro 221 QE for only a hundred or so more than what she was asking.   There was a Honda HS35 in great shape for sale for a reasonable  price but the four stroke engine put me off.   The other two I bought.

This year there are thirty or forty dual stage machines (mostly Craftsman/MTD/AYP) products listed.  Occasionally, you'll see a nice old Ariens or Toro  dual stage but that's infrequent.  Around here, SS machines simply aren't appreciated.  Initially, I didn't even know SS machines existed up until about five years ago (when I joined this forum).  Nonetheless, after becoming aware of their existence, I had the same view of them as being inadequate for our conditions.  I had never seen one in action so I didn't know any better.  Even when I picked up the old Craftsman, I was far from impressed with it's performance.  I'd rate it at about 10% better than a shovel.  It was truly lame but I knew there was potential in the two cycle engine and for the price, if  it blew up, so be it.  I was buying it just to experiment with anyway. 

After a bit of work fixing the engine mount, over-riding the governor and putting on a new belt, it's been doing yeoman service since.   It sees more work than any other machine I have for several reasons.  First of all, it's much more fun to use, works great, handles all but the worst storms and lastly, I want to see how long it will hold up being run well beyond the machine's stock settings.  I'm certain that it has at least ten to fifteen hours  hard labour on  it by now.  Time will tell but so far, I couldn't ask for more.  
RedOctobyr

Reply #19   Jan 30, 2012 1:05 pm
SS's are definitely sold around here. But I see people using 2-stages much more often, I'd say. Kind of like you, my only real exposure to a SS was my neighbor, who has/had an older Toro, I think it was. That, unfortunately, didn't make a great case for getting one :) I'd see him out there slogging along with it, trying to clear his fairly long driveway. It definitely had more trouble with the EOD. But it was his only machine, so it was being used in storms where it was kind of outmatched. Plus I'm sure it wasn't revved up. So it didn't give a great impression of them. I'm sure it was nice for the lighter storms, at least.

He got an older Ariens 2-stage last year. I don't know whether he still has the SS, or how he likes the 2-stage by comparison. But with the heavy storms we got last year, I'd expect he was liking the extra grunt of the 2-stage, especially for EOD piles.
trouts2

Reply #20   Jan 30, 2012 3:10 pm
Borat,

It seems that part of the reason an SS works for you is your area.   Your driveway seems pretty flat and the shape good for doing long runs tossing straight ahead which for you ends up off your driveway.   Here doing diagonals is required for straight ahead clearing.  The height of snow I can toss right or left drops off very quickly with the SS so limiting.   The driveway surface is in bad shape, lots of mounds and cullies and the tar surface lower than it should be exposing the tops of rocks the rest of which are embedded solidly in the tar.  That makes for SS bounce and chatter which degrade performance.   A dual stage glides better over the surface but many places where the impellers scrape surface.  A number of the pictures and videos you've posted looked like the snow was pretty good for tossing.  Here the snow is usually usually wettish and not so great for tossing often.  When it's super cold it's usually ok though.  You being up there further north makes me think you might average more storms with good conditions. 

My first SS was a Toro vane type.  It was good at throwing straight ahead.  It tossed a low wide stream about 15 feet making it's own blizzard in front of itself and nice for light snows 3-4 inches.   It could not do much with EOD.  That got dumped for a Powerlite which was a great improvement and I've had one around eversince. 

I'm thinking of booting the 3650.  It's in excelelnt condition and can probably take a 1000-1500 boot ok.  It would be done already if it wasn't for the covers.  But maybe a string can be snuck in with just the bottom cover off.  I'll have to check.

RedOctobyr,

Murray made a Craftsman model 6.5hp OHV with no throttle.  The neighbor brought over his non-starter this fall and it caught me off guard.  MTD puts out some new models with no throttle.  I think one of the low end Ariens models is no-throttle.

borat

Reply #21   Jan 30, 2012 4:57 pm
You're right Trouts.  Our snow is most often dry and fairly light.  Sometimes, if it's blown in on a blizzard, it gets finely packed and much more dense.   That's a once or twice a year occurrence.  Sometimes we get heavy amounts that is fairly wet and lots of it.  When that happens, it's the Simplicity's time to come out.  More often than not, the SS machines get the job done. 

Even when powered up, the Craftsman can choke on wet slushy snow.  Happened earlier this year.  We got about five inches of slush and the Craftsman was having trouble with it if I tried to feed it full width passes.  I cut it back to half to 2/3rds width or so and it moved it nicely.  I should have pulled out the Toro to test it on the same stuff to see how it would have fared.  Might have done better due to a superior paddle system but maybe not considering the power advantage of the Craftsman.
Replies: 12 - 21 of 21Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42