Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Snow at last!

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
jrtrebor

Snow at last!
Original Message   Dec 31, 2011 10:34 pm
Happy New Year to everyone

"Hooray"
Snows on it's way to central western Michigan.

Winter Storm Warning
Statement as of 9:42 PM EST on December 31, 2011

... Winter Storm Warning remains in effect from 10 am Sunday to
8 PM EST Monday...

Hazardous weather...

* rain and snow will transition to all snow by noon Sunday. The
   snow will continue through Monday.

* Potential for snow accumulations of at least 8 inches across
   portions of the warning area by Monday evening. Localized
   heavier snow bands near little and big Sable points along
   with much of Van Buren and Allegan counties could lead to
   amounts over a foot.

* It will become very windy late Sunday morning with wind gusts
   expected to reach 50 to 60 mph through Sunday night. This
   will cause considerable blowing snow.

Impacts...

* near blizzard conditions possible.

* Snow covered to icy Road conditions developing by mid
   afternoon Sunday and lasting through Monday due to snow...
   blowing snow and falling temperatures.

* Power outages and downed tree limbs likely Sunday and Sunday
   night due to very strong winds.

This message was modified Dec 31, 2011 by jrtrebor
Replies: 41 - 50 of 84Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
JoelKlein

I wonder how a 2021 snow blower will look like...

Re: Snow at last!
Reply #41   Jan 12, 2012 1:12 pm

Toro 1028 OXE
Bill_H

Reply #42   Jan 12, 2012 3:43 pm
Finally! First real snow of the season, got to try out my new tires. ~180 lbs. each. Unstoppable!

This message was modified Jan 12, 2012 by Bill_H

Who the hell let all the morning people run things?
FrankMA

Reply #43   Jan 12, 2012 3:59 pm
Well it was snowing this morning (enough for it to stick a bit) then turned to a slushy snow/rain mix and now its windy and about 40*F. I've only used my 2 stage once after the crazy October nor'easter. I have not even used the SS yet as it has not snowed since...

Toro Wheel Horse 522xi GT, Honda HS928TA, Honda HS621AS, Honda HS520A, Toro CCR3000 (work in progress), Honda HS624WA (sold 08/23/2010), Stihl BR550 Backpack Blower, Stihl MS250, McCulloch MS1635, Honda EM6500SX Generator
aa335

Reply #44   Jan 12, 2012 4:11 pm
Bill_H wrote:
Finally! First real snow of the season, got to try out my new tires. ~180 lbs. each. Unstoppable!

That's the biggest single stage snowblower I've seen yet.  How big of an area do you clear?
Bill_H

Reply #45   Jan 12, 2012 5:58 pm
My driveway is about 120', and 40' wide at the top, plus a turnaround. That's a 48" x 15" blower. I love the single stage, it moves massive amounts of snow very quickly (look at the size of that chute) and anyone with a Toro will tell you how good they are with slush. It can't throw completely across the wide part, but it's really no extra work if I have to reblow it. I start in the center and blow out so I don't end up with snow landing on already cleared areas.

Who the hell let all the morning people run things?
RedOctobyr

Reply #46   Jan 12, 2012 7:20 pm
Nice. Like FrankMA said, we got a bit of snow this morning, then it rained most of the day. When I got home, there wasn't even an inch on the driveway. Which meant there was plenty to try my "new" SS :) (hey, what can I say, we haven't gotten any snow in 2 months)

Got to fire the little guy up. Started on the first pull, which was nice. I've never used a SS before, and there seems to be a bit of a learning curve. At times I think I was pulling up too much on the handle, 'cause it was kind of zipping itself along. I have to say, I thought it was kind of cool. Granted, there was hardly any snow, so it wasn't a perfect test.

Pros:
-It's fast if the conditions allow, it'll move as fast as you want it to. Faster than a 2-stage would go. The speed also helped to keep the paddles full, given the tiny amount of slushy snow. If nothing else, maybe it will be handy for the little storms, like people say.
-It's super-maneuverable. Was kind of funny just swinging it around at the end of a run. Very different than a 200-lb fixed-axle 2-stage.
-It also cleared right down to the pavement, unlike a 2-stage.

Cons:
-The handle vibrates a *lot* (the little 2-stroke engine is not well balanced). Granted, I wasn't wearing gloves, which might have helped isolate my hands from it a bit. I wonder if I could put some rubber between the upper and lower handles where they join...
-Oil smell on my clothes. I'd forgotten about that. Would make it tougher to use quickly before work.
-Not very powerful, I'm sure. Mine is only 3hp. But if I'm low on power, I might try boraticus' trick of cranking up the RPM's.
aa335

Reply #47   Jan 13, 2012 11:58 am
@RedOctobyr

What single stage machine do you have?
This message was modified Jan 13, 2012 by aa335
aa335

Reply #48   Jan 13, 2012 12:22 pm
Bill_H wrote:
My driveway is about 120', and 40' wide at the top, plus a turnaround. That's a 48" x 15" blower. I love the single stage, it moves massive amounts of snow very quickly (look at the size of that chute) and anyone with a Toro will tell you how good they are with slush. It can't throw completely across the wide part, but it's really no extra work if I have to reblow it. I start in the center and blow out so I don't end up with snow landing on already cleared areas.

That's a serious blower for the area that you're clearing.  Those augers looks like one to drill onto the ground.  I'm surprised you haven't rig an electric chute and deflector controls on that Toro blower yet, just for convenience.  Although I really like the solid mechanicals of that blower.
RedOctobyr

Reply #49   Jan 13, 2012 12:31 pm
aa335, it's a little Ariens SS322. 3 hp, 98cc Tecumseh 2-stroke, 22" cut.
aa335

Reply #50   Jan 13, 2012 6:27 pm
RedOctobyr wrote:
aa335, it's a little Ariens SS322. 3 hp, 98cc Tecumseh 2-stroke, 22" cut.

That's the same engine on a 16"  Toro Powerlite.  Underpowered when used on a 22" wide snowblower.  Not sure why such a small engine was used on that Ariens, seems to perform more like a snow broom than a snowblower.
This message was modified Jan 13, 2012 by aa335
Replies: 41 - 50 of 84Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42