Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > CR Feb 2012 Ratings Sneak Peak

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
NotMoneyGuy

CR Feb 2012 Ratings Sneak Peak
Original Message   Jan 2, 2012 10:43 pm
Hi Folks, back again, finally starting to see some white stuff around here - Santa brought it Dec 25th.

Very little action for the machines so far, maybe yours too, so here's some reading for ya:

Ratings.

Cheers!

Ariens Deluxe 28  921022  WI, USA      --      Poulan PRO PR621ES 208 cm3 961880002-00

Replies: 4 - 13 of 13Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
NotMoneyGuy

Re: CR Feb 2012 Ratings Sneak Peak
Reply #4   Jan 3, 2012 10:06 am
All in all, the magazine is useful and a good monthly read. I am entering my 21st year of hard-copy subscription. They often make valid points, but definitely durability and longevity don't factor in as much as they should.

I have to laugh/weep at this issue though; they continue to like my Ariens year after year, but condemn my Poulan and label it as "a model to avoid: the $450 Poulan Pro PR621ES, which proved wimpier than some plug-in electric models we tested." On page four the magazine continues to slag it in the "Best & worst scores" of the entire issue with a 22, some water filter got a 95.

Oh well, one out of two ain't bad.

IMO the Poulan does OK in new, fluffy snow and can also do a real nice clean-up job after the Ariens is through with the heavy lifting. For CA$237 + tax it is what it is, and also a keeper.

Ariens Deluxe 28  921022  WI, USA      --      Poulan PRO PR621ES 208 cm3 961880002-00

aa335

Reply #5   Jan 3, 2012 1:26 pm
I find it hard to take the rankings seriously when the models compared varied significantly from size, power, and price.

I find CR particularly useful when it comes to buying water filters, baking soda, and table salt.  They are spot on. 
This message was modified Jan 3, 2012 by aa335
aa335

Reply #6   Jan 3, 2012 1:32 pm
NotMoneyGuy wrote:

I have to laugh/weep at this issue though; they continue to like my Ariens year after year, but condemn my Poulan and label it as "a model to avoid: the $450 Poulan Pro PR621ES, which proved wimpier than some plug-in electric models we tested." On page four the magazine continues to slag it in the "Best & worst scores" of the entire issue with a 22, some water filter got a 95.

Maybe they couldn't get the engine to run and they were trying to blow snow using the power from the electric starter motor. 

Where did they the snow to perform the tests?  We didn't get any snow yet this year. 
NotMoneyGuy

Reply #7   Jan 3, 2012 9:11 pm
aa335 wrote:
Where did they the snow to perform the tests?  We didn't get any snow yet this year. 

Here's what the Feb 2012 issue says on page 46:

"We test snow blowers in snowy upstate New York and at our Yonkers, N.Y., headquarters, where we use wet sawdust to reliably mimic the wettest, heaviest snow."

royster

" It is the use of power tools that separates man from animals"

Reply #8   Jan 3, 2012 9:44 pm
They cannot be experts on everything, more likely they are not experts on everything. I prefer magazines that test one product, (motor vehicles)      like Car and Driver  or Road and TRack.

Steve_Cebu

Reply #9   Jan 3, 2012 9:50 pm
NotMoneyGuy wrote:
Here's what the Feb 2012 issue says on page 46:

"We test snow blowers in snowy upstate New York and at our Yonkers, N.Y., headquarters, where we use wet sawdust to reliably mimic the wettest, heaviest snow."

Well now I know what model to buy when I want to blow wet sawdust!

"If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in New England."  "If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in New England."
RedOctobyr

Reply #10   Jan 3, 2012 10:09 pm
Steve_Cebu wrote:

As funny as it sounds, I can't really fault them. It's probably more repeatable than using actual snow, even if we were getting snow at the moment. If you get to test half the machines on cold, dry snow, and the other half can't be tested (not enough people to run them all, say) until the next storm, which is wet, heavy stuff, then it would be awfully hard to make a useful comparison.

I've wondered how the manufacturers themselves test them. I hadn't considered wet sawdust, but I wouldn't be surprised if they had their own not-really-snow concoctions. I'm sure they'd like to be able to test new designs on something during the warmer months, before trying to get a machine rolled out into production.

And, as others have said, I take some of their reviews with a grain of salt. Computers, A/V equipment, and OPE are things that I tend to do my own research on. That's not to say I won't read what they have to say. But I do have to raise an eyebrow when, say, an MTD blower out-ranks a Honda. Maybe this year, on select criteria, OK. But what about in 5 years, 20 years?

But for things that are suited to testing in a structured environment, and which are hard for the rest of us to truly *compare* (air conditioners, dehumidifiers, refrigerators, food processors, things like that), I really appreciate their work. I might be able to post a review of my window A/C. It's "good" (because I bought the right size for my room, or maybe one that's too big for it), it's "quiet" (because maybe I'm tolerant of noise, or it's not near me, etc). But that's very different than gauging how well it truly compares in cooling performance against other similar-BTU units, and comparing noise levels, across 20 units, as well as energy consumption. None of us can offer that kind of big-picture feedback by ourselves. And it can be tough to really compare units myself, just reading reviews on the stores' websites.

Agreed, if you want a car review, go check a car magazine. But I haven't seen any advertisements for Refrigerators Monthly
aa335

Reply #11   Jan 4, 2012 3:58 pm
Steve_Cebu wrote:

It doesn't really matter what CR says, it's no secret that you only buy a Toro. 
This message was modified Jan 4, 2012 by aa335
Steve_Cebu

Reply #12   Jan 4, 2012 10:48 pm
aa335 wrote:
It doesn't really matter what CR says, it's no secret that you only buy a Toro. 

Hey, I bought a Honda! I returned it, but I still bought one.

Now if I have to put in a generator and that means being 100 feet away from the house then I might need a tracked Honda again. The hill is too steep in the back for anything with wheels.

We lose power when it rains so it's a worthwhile investment. I think if we lose power for another 3-5 days in a row this year I will have to pony up and buy one.

Honda tracked models are great in that they can climb hills and have 3 height settings a must for grass and gravel.

"If you have more miles on your snow blower than your car, you live in New England."  "If you can drive 75 mph through 2 feet of snow during a raging blizzard without flinching, you live in New England."
croftwny

Reply #13   Jan 6, 2012 11:29 am
Steve_Cebu wrote:
Hey, I bought a Honda! I returned it, but I still bought one.

Just curious, why did you return it?
Replies: 4 - 13 of 13Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42