Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > While I wait for the snow, what about the fuel?

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
JoelKlein

I wonder how a 2021 snow blower will look like...

While I wait for the snow, what about the fuel?
Original Message   Dec 25, 2011 9:50 am
Happy holidays every one! ... bought the toro 1028 OXE back in October, right after the very first early snow storm. Was not able to try it in snow... I added the startron stabilizer And filled up the tank with 93 octane. I tested the new baby, showed off without spinning augers... But now it's a long time unused. My question is: is it okay for the fuel to sit in the carb for such a long time? Thanks!
This message was modified Dec 25, 2011 by JoelKlein

Toro 1028 OXE
Replies: 44 - 53 of 78Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
newjerseybt

You want it done right?...You better learn how to do it yourself!

Ariens 1128DLE
Ariens 8526LE
Honda HRC216
Bosch 3221L
Craftsman DYT4000
Stihl FS90R

Re: While I wait for the snow, what about the fuel?
Reply #44   Dec 28, 2011 9:27 pm
niper99 wrote:
...of course this ONLY pertains to straight gas and NOT mixed gas.

I was told never to dump old mixed(2 cycle)gas in my truck as it might cause damage to the evaporative emission devices and cause the "check engine" indicator to light up. You might then fail State inspection which will compel you to waste money on this political device. :')
JoelKlein

Reply #45   Dec 29, 2011 1:46 am
Hay guys, you convinced me... No More 93 in the snow blower. I'm even thinking of draining the 93 from the 1028. So it won't burn hotter, or create slow flames, and build up carbon, and etc... The SB is brand new and I want to keep it that way. But I do know that regular 87 have waste in it that can accumulate. What can I do to keep the fuel lines and the piston chamber CLEAN? Including my Toyota sequoia ?

Toro 1028 OXE
carlb

Reply #46   Dec 29, 2011 7:06 am
JoelKlein wrote:
Hay guys, you convinced me... No More 93 in the snow blower. I'm even thinking of draining the 93 from the 1028. So it won't burn hotter, or create slow flames, and build up carbon, and etc... The SB is brand new and I want to keep it that way. But I do know that regular 87 have waste in it that can accumulate. What can I do to keep the fuel lines and the piston chamber CLEAN? Including my Toyota sequoia ?

Joel,

The only difference between 87 and 93 octane is the additive package that is added after the gas is refined.  If anything the 87 octane has less in it the the 93 octane fuel.

I suggest you run what the manufacture calls for in your particular engine and not let it worry you.   As far as the 93 octane you now have in your blower, just use it, it will be fine, but for long term use, use  the fuel the manufacturer calls for.

Carl
JoelKlein

Reply #47   Dec 29, 2011 8:35 am
Thank you! I understand. If I may ask one more question; in terms of automobils, Whats the reason a OLD engine won't produce as much power as a new one? what can be done to prevent that loss of power ? In other words: what can I do to make my car drive in 5 years like it drives new? In yeas from now, will my snow blower loose power too?

Toro 1028 OXE
carlb

Reply #48   Dec 29, 2011 11:52 am
all you can do is take care of you auto or ope.  Change the oil, oil filter and air filters when required.

Good fuel will help keep injectors clean and maintain a good spray pattern.

All engines will loose power as they get older it's just a matter of how much power they loose and most of that is directly attributed to how the engine was maintained.

Change you oil, oil filter, air filter etc as recomended by the MFG (your owners manual will give you the intervals)
Use good quality gasoline of the correct octane.
Use good quality Oil and filters.
Don't drive a cold engine hard, drive it easy until it warms up.
Don't abuse your equipment.

I have seen dozens of cars with over 200k the still run very well with little loss in performance even with those kinds of miles
stresst

Reply #49   Dec 30, 2011 10:06 pm
I was reading somewhere about using the Startron in fuel will increase its shelf life to 2 years! Is that possible?

TORO 826OXE
MGreiner

Reply #50   Dec 30, 2011 11:40 pm
just my 2 cents, it says right on the sta-bil bottle that it's only good for 2 years after breaking the seal, so you need to check on how long you've had it.

Machines: 80s era 826 John Deere, 1977 Ariens 932001 20in and 2.7hp Tec, 2004 Frontier ST0521
CharlesW

Reply #51   Dec 31, 2011 12:47 am
stresst wrote:
I was reading somewhere about using the Startron in fuel will increase its shelf life to 2 years! Is that possible?

Read some more.

What Startron actually says on their web-site:

"Gas and diesel fuels break down rapidly which results in lost power and poor performance. Star Tron stabilizes the fuel chemistry for up to two years in gas and in diesel."

Up to two years is not the same as saying it will definitely increase shelf life to two years.

Personal opinion. (worth what it cost you) I use one year as my fuel life limit, stabilizer or not. 

Those that say stabilizer is a waste of money have had much better luck than me. I have cleaned plugged carb jets on lawn mowers, snowblowers, snowmobiles and motorcycles when they were left for the off season without stabilizer added.

borat

Reply #52   Dec 31, 2011 9:24 am
CharlesW:

You'll have less trouble with carbs if you store them dry.  Why spend money on an additive of questionable performance when a know method will prevent problems?  Drain the tank, run the carb dry and/or drain the float bowl and you shouldn't have a need for additives.
CharlesW

Reply #53   Dec 31, 2011 10:08 am
borat wrote:
CharlesW:

You'll have less trouble with carbs if you store them dry.  Why spend money on an additive of questionable performance when a know method will prevent problems?  Drain the tank, run the carb dry and/or drain the float bowl and you shouldn't have a need for additives.

You could very well be correct.

Or

I could pour a little stabilizer in my fuel can and fuel tanks and I shouldn't need to: "Drain the tank, run the carb dry and/or drain the float bowl".

FWIW, I don't find stabiliozers to be all that expensive. Less than $10 will buy enough Stabil to treat 25 gallons of fuel and about $7 will buy enough Seafoam to treat 16 gallons.

This message was modified Dec 31, 2011 by CharlesW
Replies: 44 - 53 of 78Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42