Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Single Stage EOD

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
Garth

Single Stage EOD
Original Message   Dec 24, 2011 9:46 am
For single stage users, can these be used on end of driveway hard chunks? I hear you can break it up first with a shovel but seems there would still be hard chunks. Would it beat up the machine? I live in New England and because of several different factors I have to compromise and the single stage Toro 621 would be my best compromise right now. I have a driveway that is a little over 2 cars long and do a run of about 10 yards by the mailbox all EOD and clear out an area going to the deck in back on one side and for the oil man on the other that would both be over grass one about 10 yards long and the other about 15 yards long. Have you ever done EOD with one of these.
Replies: 2 - 11 of 30Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Knee_Biter

Wicked Pissa

Re: Single Stage EOD
Reply #2   Dec 24, 2011 10:07 am
My Toro 2450 does it here in MA.  I just use the push pull method and have never had a problem. My Honda or Ariens 2 stage does it easier but on the days that I use the SS I have had no problems with large amounts of EOD.

CharlesW

Reply #3   Dec 24, 2011 10:45 am
My Toro 421 has done a good job for me for one season, but....

EOD snow is definitely a challenge. The really hard packed stuff works the machine, but it does handle it. I haven't used it on ice or hard frozen chunks and I think that might be asking a little too much.

I still have my 36 year old 2 stage that I use for the rare occasion when I have the chunky frozen stuff.

A bigger question would be the grassy areas you have.

My single stage doesn't do well on grass at all.

No fault of the particular machine, just part of the design of a single stage snow thrower.

Shryp

Reply #4   Dec 24, 2011 10:48 am
I used to have one of those MTD single stages.  One trick  learned for grass and deep snow is to push down on the handle to cause the front end to ride up.  They are light enough to skim over the top and just take a little bit.  Then you can back up and go over again.  It might take 2 or 3 layers, but if you keep skimming down you should be fine.  Same would work for grass.  Just don't go all the way down to the grass.
FrankMA

Reply #5   Dec 24, 2011 10:52 am
The grass is a difficult surface for a single stage - they tend to like nice flat paved surfaces the best.
This message was modified Dec 24, 2011 by FrankMA

Toro Wheel Horse 522xi GT, Honda HS928TA, Honda HS621AS, Honda HS520A, Toro CCR3000 (work in progress), Honda HS624WA (sold 08/23/2010), Stihl BR550 Backpack Blower, Stihl MS250, McCulloch MS1635, Honda EM6500SX Generator
fleetfoot

Reply #6   Dec 25, 2011 12:57 am
I have used a John Deere TRS21 5hp two cycle single stage snowblower for the last 15 years for all my snow removal. I live 25 miles south of Minneapolis. I clear 20x35 feet of asphalt driveway, 400 sqft of cement sidewalk and a 4 foot wide by 70 foot path over grass. We also have the mailboxes on our side of the street. Once the snow banks on our side of the street are 2 feet high the city plows do not plow to the curb for fear of damaging the mailboxes. So we end up with 70x5 feet of EOD. The TRS21 handles all of it. Sometimes I have to push it through but most of the time I tip the TRS21 forward and let it do the work. The grass path requires pushing since the auger chews up the grass if tipped forward. When the snow is heavy EOD the TRS21 needs to take partial passes in order to maintain throwing height and distance.
borat

Reply #7   Dec 25, 2011 2:55 pm
My jacked up Craftsman does a pretty good job on EOD under most circumstances.  However, trying to tackle a frozen pile of snow/ice with it will be a challenge.  Rubber paddles don't quite have the chipping/grinding ability of steel augers.   If you hack the EOD down to small enough pieces, the SS machine with throw it alright.  Otherwise it will certainly be a chore.
FullThrottle

Reply #8   Dec 26, 2011 6:08 pm
Dosnt seem like much a  compromise you are asking a SS machine to do 2 out of 3 things that dosnt do the best. It can handle EOD pretty good if you get it right away with in reason. By going sideways on it taking bites instead of wasting time trying to blast a full bucket straight through to the street if have a normal one car drive.  It takes some of your muscle to do that and add that your doing 30 feet of street also. Compromise going away pretty fast. Doing the grass just as much or more muscle trying not to tear up the grass too much. A snow scoop push in and pull back a chunk works way easier on a grass path. No lifting and can dump it on hard surface and blown it with your machine would be a compromise
croftwny

Reply #9   Dec 27, 2011 9:22 am
I have a Toro 418 it had a hard time handling the hard chunks at the EOD so I had to break out the 2 stager, although the 621 is a bit larger and powerful so it might do a little better.  If you keep up with the snow and don't let if freeze overnight you should be okay.  I understand you need to make a compromise and if your situation is purchasing new then there are 2 stages available in the same price range (i.e.; Snow-Tek 920404).  I would suggest looking at a 2 stage in the same price range, you wouldn't want buyers remorse when your using a SS when you could've bought a 2 stage for the same price.

borat

Reply #10   Dec 27, 2011 9:34 am
if you live in an area that gets a lot of snow and e.o.d. accumulations are an issue, a two stage is likely your best bet.  Better to have a machine that can do the most difficult job effectively.   I used nothing but two stage machines for going on 25 years.  Always got the job done but I also did a lot of shoveling of too.  Small accumulations of snow just isn't worth hauling out the big two stages machine.  A rink shovel or SS machine is often a better choice.
CharlesW

Reply #11   Dec 27, 2011 10:41 am
First off, it's always easier to spend someone else's money, but.....

Get both a single stage and a two stage.

Buy them used and it shouldn't break the bank. Take your time and maybe just buy one now and wait for a deal on the other one. It's possible you might find that whatever unit you buy now will do the job for you.

Two drawbacks I think of other than the expenditure:

1. Storage for two machines.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                      2. There's a good chance you will end up with both a four cycle engine and a two cycle engine so you will need two gas cans.

Replies: 2 - 11 of 30Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42