Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Spit, Sputter, Cough,Blemph

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
mml4

Snow is good,
Deep snow is better!

Spit, Sputter, Cough,Blemph
Original Message   Feb 5, 2005 8:17 am
These are the sounds issued forth from my beloved Tecumseh engines equipped with fixed Jets. I don't own one but my friend does on a machine I recomended and he constantly rags me about it. In an effort to get him off my back I have researched the following and these are the results:

1) The replacement carb for a medium frame Tecumseh is 632334A ( this is a part # that replaces a disontinued part but the blow up diagram of the replacement shows an adjustable main jet. Therefore I ASSUME it is adjustable.

2) The carburetor repair kit for this model is 632347 

I was able to secure a blowup diagram of this carb and the list of parts in the repair kit. It APPEARS all of the main jet parts are present in the kit.I NEED VERIFICATION If this includes the needle and the jet. 

If one were to remove the fixed jet from the current carb which I believe is the green plastic tube held in by O-rings and replace it with the adjustable jet and needle from the #632347 repair kit would it work? Could you retrofit the new bowl with the adjustable assembly or would you have to buy a new bowl?

If anybody could verify or correct my assumptions I would be most appreciative.

Marc

Just for the record -theHonda GX series engine on my power washer made the same spit, sputter,cough,blemph sounds due to it's fixed jet carb. Honda has addressed this problem by producing a line of altitude related jets. Another words if you want to richen up a Honda fixed jet carb parts are available. The carb will still be fixed jet but at a richer setting.

This message was modified Feb 5, 2005 by mml4

SnapperV210P,Toro22177,TroyBilt42010Snowthrower,Craftsman Shredder,American Turbo Pressure Washer HondaGX200,Stihl011Saw,EchoPas260Trimmer Edger,EchoPB602Blower,EchoHCR150Hedge Clipper
Replies: 68 - 77 of 77Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Re: Spit, Sputter, Cough,Blemph
Reply #68   Feb 14, 2005 8:42 pm
Oh yea, I think you do a great job of it too!
Ben07

The more you know about something, the more you find there is to know.

Reply #69   Feb 14, 2005 8:47 pm
Marshall wrote:
. If an engine is constantly running in the 2800 RPM range because of the amount of snow, you either need to push less snow at a time or need more engine.

It doesn't run there constantly it picks up and maintains at a higher rpm. within an instant  The drop is only noticable with a tac.  With your ear when you are running it it seem's like the govenor kicks in seamlessly and without a tac you could easily think your engine is running faster cause of the sound of the engine woking under increased throttle.   The governor hardly ever kicks on this machine cept for starting point in deep heavy stuff.  Without a tac would not know there was that much rpm loss.  so if it is not suppose to work tat way maybe I do need to do a governor rod or spring adjustment.

Ben07

Ariens 8524LE, Toro CCR2000, Jacobsen S-B S-blowers, Generac 10hp Gen-convt. to N.G., 5 L-boys(D's F's &Dura( 74,77,80,88,00), Antiq. 1960 AYP 20 in. mag w 3.5 Tech mower. Ryan/Ryobi gas Trim. AYP 205 gas blwr. Mac c-saw,Toro E-blwr, 2 Weed-E e. stg. trims. outboards, boats, util trail, 2 Jeeps 
Marshall

Reply #70   Feb 14, 2005 8:53 pm
Ben07 wrote:
It doesn't run there constantly it picks up and maintains at a higher rpm. within an instant  The drop is only noticable with a tac.  With your ear when you are running it it seem's like the govenor kicks in seamlessly and without a tac you could easily think your engine is running faster cause of the sound of the engine woking under increased throttle.   The governor hardly ever kicks on this machine cept for starting point in deep heavy stuff.  Without a tac would not know there was that much rpm loss.  so if it is not suppose to work tat way maybe I do need to do a governor rod or spring adjustment.

Ben07

Ben, sounds like it's doing what it should be doing to me. Somewhere I got that it was running using full torque the whole time your blowing, I thought. Maybe in that torque/HP thread?  My bad.
Ben07

Reply #71   Feb 14, 2005 8:54 pm
Marshall wrote:
Oh yea, I think you do a great job of it too!

Likewise

Ariens 8524LE, Toro CCR2000, Jacobsen S-B S-blowers, Generac 10hp Gen-convt. to N.G., 5 L-boys(D's F's &Dura( 74,77,80,88,00), Antiq. 1960 AYP 20 in. mag w 3.5 Tech mower. Ryan/Ryobi gas Trim. AYP 205 gas blwr. Mac c-saw,Toro E-blwr, 2 Weed-E e. stg. trims. outboards, boats, util trail, 2 Jeeps 
Ben07

Reply #72   Feb 14, 2005 8:59 pm
No prob Marshall.  It may be dipping lil too low on initial impact.  First thing I will try and do is put it at the center of recommender operating RPM  which is stated at 3600 plus or minus 150.  It is running at 3450 which is min but ok, and bein it is new I decided to leave it alone for awhile. so that min could affect the initial hit onthe governor assist.   Didn't spell that all out before as was  trying to save keystrokes.

Ben07

This message was modified Feb 14, 2005 by Ben07

Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Reply #73   Feb 14, 2005 9:00 pm
snowshoveler wrote:

if you are in there could you stick out a hand or somthing.

ill bring coffee for you in the morning...how do you prefer it built.

Chris,

Nice of you to finally notice    I don't know who did it, but while kneeling down sweeping up under my work table, someone decided to roll a big heavy snowblower over my back   It wouldn't have been all that bad if not for the tire chains, man those things really smarts on the back of my head.  Come morning, if you'd be so kind to bring me a large coffee, light and sweet, and a few aspirins, I'd appreciate it 

Richie
Marshall

Reply #74   Feb 14, 2005 9:04 pm
Ben07 wrote:
No prob Marshall.  It may be dipping lil too low on initial impact.  First thing I will try and do is put it at the center of recommender operating RPM  which is stated at 3600 plus or minus 150.  It is running at 3450 which is min but ok, and bein it is new I decided to leave it alone for awhile. so that min could affect the initial hit onthe governor assist.   Just trying to save keystrokes.

Ben07

You know, you have a point. it's not beyond reason that it will free up 100 rpm's after it's broken in well.
snowshoveler

tides in dirts out surfs up

Reply #75   Feb 14, 2005 9:08 pm
hi Ben...

dont touch the spring...please

its a simple enough job to do but explaining it with a keyboard is somthing else for me.

you have a tecumseh engine .. if its less than 20 years then this is it

with the heater box removed from engine

you will be able to see the governor arm and linkage.

there is an arm with 2 rods .

1going to the carb and 

1 rod going to the throttle control or box.

this arm has a small 1/4 inch bolt in it.where it fastens to the governor.

adjustment is as follows.

with engine off...

place throttle in fast position.

loosen the 1/4 inch bolt and pull the arm and the little lever away from the engine block.

hold in this position

you should notice the throttle open all the way.

tighten the lil bolt and reassemble the heat shield.start the engine and then set your max speed.

like i said its a simple job and if i showed you ,you would have no problem...

however.. words sometimes are confusing.

later chris 

craftsman 10/28 snowblower with tracks   husky 372xpg chainsaw   sachs dolmar bc212 bushsaw   mondo trimmer   monster tractor with trailer    cheep wheelbarro and couple shovels and a partridge in a pear tree 
Ben07

Reply #76   Feb 14, 2005 10:19 pm
Thx I printed that.  Cause I can't even get to that snow blower.  LOL  we got so much rain and warm weather here in Pittsburgh, I wolld be afraid to ramp it down out of my shed, The Ground is sopping wet. it would prob sink in the mud. .  If It was snow, I could really had some enjoyable SB-ing.

That ground is so mushy " I am half tempted to pull it out and Rototille the garden with it."

Thx Again Ben07 

Ben07

Reply #77   Feb 15, 2005 5:18 pm

Snowshoveler  Chris

Cloging Tech Carbs

Bein you posted some of the problems with the dissimilar metals in carb

Somethin I found related to clogging of Tech engines carbs, might be worth mentioning. I'm sure you have seen it, and someone probably already covered it.

When the carb starts to get partially clogged, and still runs, and operator keeps priming tryin to start a clogged carb, you get a back pressure up the priming line and it squirts back, and even the vapors that come up into it over time can cause this. (granted the primer only pushes air into the carb then pushes some gas thru the venturi,  but on this clogged one there was a split in the hose at the bottom low end, covered split with my finger, pumper bulb and gas squirted back out around my finger)  It deteriorates the hose, crumbling effect, get all those little pieces of hard to dissolve, rubber , or neopreme/ whatever in the float  bowl, working their way in to the orifices.There may be a screen there? Can't remember now, but it gets thru, also think it can seep thru another back area or vent hole.  The reason, I think is it is not fuel compatable hose.  Then you have to remove the motor shroud to get up to the primer connection to run new hose,(( the one I did was actually pretty much shot far up the hose) that can be a time consuming unpleasant chore, when the motor is mounted to the machine. 

I can never find fuel compatable hose with that small of an O.D., cause it has to have that small of an OD to fit over the carborator lip to attach.  So what I do if I have to replace the whole hose is put the larger O.D. fuel compatable hose from the primer bulb, almost to the carb connection, then piece in the smaller stuff.  That way if it goes again I don't have to remove the flywheel shroud etc.    What I will do on my newer machine is not go thru that trouble, just cut the hose from carb connection up to where it goes under the shroud and replace , I don't know every couple years or something, as most of the deterioration is closer to the carb. 

Does that sound like a good idea or a waste of time,  it would be about a ten second job,  (not many of them around)   Could install one of those lil in-line fuel filters or porus fiber in the line before the adapter that would be used at the pieced in area.

Question is do they have fuel type hose in that O.D. (I know it is out there, I just can never find anyone who carries it.) ,  and is it only Tech. That doesn't use it, (Maybe I just ran into some bad hose, wasn't my machine I was working on, as a guess 10 yrs old.)  Never had those type hoses crumble on me in like say a lawnboy that is 20 years old.  Their small hoses seem little stiffer material and sort of transparent.

Ben07

This message was modified Feb 15, 2005 by Ben07

Replies: 68 - 77 of 77Next page of topicsPreviousAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42