Abby's Guide to Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more)
Username Password
Discussions Reviews More Guides
Abby’s Guide > Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) > Discussions > Spit, Sputter, Cough,Blemph

Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Discussions

Search For:
mml4

Snow is good,
Deep snow is better!

Spit, Sputter, Cough,Blemph
Original Message   Feb 5, 2005 8:17 am
These are the sounds issued forth from my beloved Tecumseh engines equipped with fixed Jets. I don't own one but my friend does on a machine I recomended and he constantly rags me about it. In an effort to get him off my back I have researched the following and these are the results:

1) The replacement carb for a medium frame Tecumseh is 632334A ( this is a part # that replaces a disontinued part but the blow up diagram of the replacement shows an adjustable main jet. Therefore I ASSUME it is adjustable.

2) The carburetor repair kit for this model is 632347 

I was able to secure a blowup diagram of this carb and the list of parts in the repair kit. It APPEARS all of the main jet parts are present in the kit.I NEED VERIFICATION If this includes the needle and the jet. 

If one were to remove the fixed jet from the current carb which I believe is the green plastic tube held in by O-rings and replace it with the adjustable jet and needle from the #632347 repair kit would it work? Could you retrofit the new bowl with the adjustable assembly or would you have to buy a new bowl?

If anybody could verify or correct my assumptions I would be most appreciative.

Marc

Just for the record -theHonda GX series engine on my power washer made the same spit, sputter,cough,blemph sounds due to it's fixed jet carb. Honda has addressed this problem by producing a line of altitude related jets. Another words if you want to richen up a Honda fixed jet carb parts are available. The carb will still be fixed jet but at a richer setting.

This message was modified Feb 5, 2005 by mml4

SnapperV210P,Toro22177,TroyBilt42010Snowthrower,Craftsman Shredder,American Turbo Pressure Washer HondaGX200,Stihl011Saw,EchoPas260Trimmer Edger,EchoPB602Blower,EchoHCR150Hedge Clipper
Replies: 58 - 67 of 77Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Marshall

As Long As There Are Tests, There Will Be Prayer In Public Schools. ;- )

Re: Spit, Sputter, Cough,Blemph
Reply #58   Feb 14, 2005 4:36 pm
Thanks Ben, I do appreciate it!

Well, that's not too bad if it's around 60 bucks. Even if I spent an extra 75 for a 1/2 HP, I wouldn't be upset if it's a true 1/2 HP.

robmints

Reply #59   Feb 14, 2005 7:05 pm
Ben07 wrote:
Hi MM14..

Analagy like driving on a 65 mph highway in 4th gear, standard trans.  you come to a hill, steep  going up the hill you got to floor the accelerator to try and maintain the speed. you do that however speed drops to 40  , now even if you are able to maintain 40 you are going to heat the motor up real fast.  You have an alternative, you can downshift , using the gearing advantage bring the car back up to 65, only difference is the motor is now running at a higher rpm , closer to peak etc. 

However with the governor setting you don't have the same choice, cause it only opens the accelerator to maintain an rpm.

In the same analagy as above now with a governor in the motor,  The same thing would have happened at first the car would have dropped speed to 40 mph.  so you do a quick down shift.  you will never get the car back up to 65 mph, cause it takes more RPM's than the goverened RPM. (so you will have this big powerfull engine crawling up a hill like it's a wimp, ) 

So after all that has been discussed on this subject  How bout we get a feel for other's opinions  Make a quick post , in agreement or not.  It would be interesting

Ben07

Down shifting has less to do with horsepower and more to do with a multiplication of torque. Not anything like a govenor.
snowshoveler

tides in dirts out surfs up

Reply #60   Feb 14, 2005 8:06 pm
hey guys ...

all a governor is supposed to do is maintain i desired speed.

if your engine is set at 3600,the governor will try to maintain that same 3600 rpm regardless of load.if your engine drops to 2800 rpm i would say thats too much of a drop.either go down a gear or have a look at your governor settings.somthing aint quite right.

not trying to upset anyone but this is my job here and i wouldnt be happy with an 800 rpm drop.it should work better i would like to see it go no lower than 3200 for an engine speced out at 3600.

now just to mix it up a bit when i was looking at torque charts some engines are set at 3750 max rpm...yikes that scares even me.

the torque peak of all the tecumseh engines i looked up was right in the 2450 to 2550 range and it was a broad flat curve.

another interesting that i noted was cubic inches of displacement. there math is not good.

if you look at the bore and stroke ,some have smaller bore with same stroke and still have same displacement.

its not quite right to me.

there is a note in the fiche cards about pistons,you have to measure old one to get correct replacement,there is up to 1/4 inch difference in diameter on same size engines.

later chris 

craftsman 10/28 snowblower with tracks   husky 372xpg chainsaw   sachs dolmar bc212 bushsaw   mondo trimmer   monster tractor with trailer    cheep wheelbarro and couple shovels and a partridge in a pear tree 
Marshall

Reply #61   Feb 14, 2005 8:24 pm
You know, this I agree with whole heartedly.

I would say that if the engine is dropping that much it is either not right or you don't have enough engine for the job at hand. If an engine is constantly running in the 2800 RPM range because of the amount of snow, you either need to push less snow at a time or need more engine to handle the amount you're blowing. Snow, grass, 600 lb man in a go-cart  ,anything.
snowshoveler

Reply #62   Feb 14, 2005 8:25 pm
im thinking a 5lb bottle of nitros should do the trick

later chris

craftsman 10/28 snowblower with tracks   husky 372xpg chainsaw   sachs dolmar bc212 bushsaw   mondo trimmer   monster tractor with trailer    cheep wheelbarro and couple shovels and a partridge in a pear tree 
Richie

Bring On The White Stuff

Reply #63   Feb 14, 2005 8:26 pm
snowshoveler wrote:

if you look at the bore and stroke ,some have smaller bore with same stroke and still have same displacement.

its not quite right to me.

there is a note in the fiche cards about pistons,you have to measure old one to get correct replacement,there is up to 1/4 inch difference in diameter on same size engines.

later chris 

Yeah, that Tecumseh 11 hp OHV engine seems like a weird one.  It shows it as a 318cc engine, the same displacement as an 8 & 9 hp. The horse power and torque charts these retailers show on their websites must be different from the microfiche cards.  Every chart I've seen shows differences between engines.  An 8 hp l-head has a nice upward swing from 2,400-3000 RPM's, than starts to drop off as RPM is increased.  The 10 hp l-head peaks at 2,400 and drops off as RPM increases.  I'd go by the microfiche cards if it was a toss-up between the two.  This is too confusing.  Still, a great way to keep the consumer off balance. 

Richie
Ben07

The more you know about something, the more you find there is to know.

Reply #64   Feb 14, 2005 8:28 pm
robmints wrote:
Down shifting has less to do with horsepower and more to do with a multiplication of torque. Not anything like a govenor.

You are correct Rob.
I was just using this example in that way to better see how no matter what happens the govenor trys to keep the RPM of the engine the same.  Some of the concepts don't get understood, and or not explained well..  cause they inter-mingle and it is confusing .   In this case I am sure it is my fault

Ben

Ariens 8524LE, Toro CCR2000, Jacobsen S-B S-blowers, Generac 10hp Gen-convt. to N.G., 5 L-boys(D's F's &Dura( 74,77,80,88,00), Antiq. 1960 AYP 20 in. mag w 3.5 Tech mower. Ryan/Ryobi gas Trim. AYP 205 gas blwr. Mac c-saw,Toro E-blwr, 2 Weed-E e. stg. trims. outboards, boats, util trail, 2 Jeeps 
Marshall

Reply #65   Feb 14, 2005 8:30 pm
Ok, a 600lb man on a Nitrous Go-cart, that would leave a mark.

snowshoveler

Reply #66   Feb 14, 2005 8:31 pm
Richie...

your workbench took a direct hit with a large amount of OPE its a mess,im so sorry.

for all i know you could be posting from under it.

if you are in there could you stick out a hand or somthing.

ill bring coffee for you in the morning...how do you prefer it built.

later chris 

Marshall

Reply #67   Feb 14, 2005 8:39 pm
Ben07 wrote:
You are correct Rob.
I was just using this example in that way to better see how no matter what happens the govenor trys to keep the RPM of the engine the same.  Some of the concepts don't get understood, and or not explained well..  cause they inter-mingle and it is confusing .   In this case I am sure it is my fault

Ben

No no no, it's called communicating thru type, I'm the worst!  
Replies: 58 - 67 of 77Next page of topicsPreviousNextNext page of topicsAllView as Outline
Outdoor Power Equipment (Lawn Mowers, Snow Blowers, Chain Saws and more) Guide   •   Discussions  Reviews  
AbbysGuide.com   About Us   Terms of Use   Privacy Policy   Contact Us
Copyright 1998-2024 AbbysGuide.com. All rights reserved.
Site by Take 42